Shooting with Steel?

Tim Kelly

This theory about deformed shot not flying straight makes sense until you talk to people who pattern their Hevishot home loads where the shot is all shapes. They reckon it patterns tighter than lead. Pattern plates aren't crossing at 40mph though.

I cant comment as I have never used hevi shot , but I'm sure someone will give you an answer .

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine some of the complaints have been aimed towards me. As far as the locked thread goes, I do get a little annoyed when I have people who have little experience start insinuating that I am immoral. This is another thread where more rubbish has been spouted, and people are just expected to keep swallowing it. It seems more and more on this forum that as soon as people start disagreeing, others start running to teacher and threads get locked prematurely.

Nobody expects anyone to do anything, except to argue their point with courtesy rather than insults, and not to hound people because they may have disagreed with them in the past.

If people are complaining about a member's conduct and threads are locked because of them then that is that member's responsibility, and nobody else's.

If you wish to discuss this further then PM me, as the thread is getting back on track with some useful posts.

Pattern plates don't cross at any speed this is true but the time of a string front to back isn't as bad as it seems as 40 mph is nothing like as fast as the shot or fast enough to escape it

If a gun won't pattern a shell on the flat stationary plate it won't pattern no better on a flying bird that's the only thing we can say

I test a fair bit and reported my findings on here on 10 bore v 12 super magnum at 50 and more recently 3" steel v 3 1/2 " it's an eye opener but many still think it not relevant or maybe I am making it up. All fair enough a lot of shooting is confidence and I ain't trying to voodoo a guys mojo

Your argument about the 10 gauge versus the 12 was flawed.

Pattern plates don't cross at any speed this is true but the time of a string front to back isn't as bad as it seems as 40 mph is nothing like as fast as the shot or fast enough to escape it

If a gun won't pattern a shell on the flat stationary plate it won't pattern no better on a flying bird that's the only thing we can say

I test a fair bit and reported my findings on here on 10 bore v 12 super magnum at 50 and more recently 3" steel v 3 1/2 " it's an eye opener but many still think it not relevant or maybe I am making it up. All fair enough a lot of shooting is confidence and I ain't trying to voodoo a guys mojo

What occurs to me , from the Moderators Peace call is the following .

1867 views and 78 replies , at this time the 2nd highest view count in the past month.

Of those replies , several were multiple posters and for the most part people who contribute to quite a few discussions.

So lots of readers , but few writers . As the , how should I put it nicely , opposing sides Did not complain , it therefore must have been a Reader .

Readers, perhaps a contribution here maybe of more Help , rather than a 999 call , after all if you do not like what you are reading , ----------.

Yes indeed by my count there has been about 3 threads with "conflict" since Xmas and as we all know as soon as one or 2 Guys pop up and Post the Snipers come out to play .

Now the Genesis of that battle is before my time on this Forum , so I cannot comment without knowledge .

All I can say is , a ,

Peaceful New Year to All.

1867 views and 78 replies , at this time the 2nd highest view count in the past month.

Of those replies , several were multiple posters and for the most part people who contribute to quite a few discussions.

So lots of readers , but few writers . As the , how should I put it nicely , opposing sides Did not complain , it therefore must have been a Reader .

Readers, perhaps a contribution here maybe of more Help , rather than a 999 call , after all if you do not like what you are reading , ----------.

Yes indeed by my count there has been about 3 threads with "conflict" since Xmas and as we all know as soon as one or 2 Guys pop up and Post the Snipers come out to play .

Now the Genesis of that battle is before my time on this Forum , so I cannot comment without knowledge .

All I can say is , a ,

And to add to that, (manners maketh the man).

I can't say I've ever had to learn how to shoot steel apart from perhaps bringing my ranges in a bit. If I was to say I shoot a 32 gram clear pigeon 6 shot any different to gamebore mamouth 36 3 id be lying and can't see how anyone can say otherwise . I'd like to know how anyone can shoot steel different to lead apart from chokes and ranges.

and as we all know as soon as one or 2 Guys pop up and Post the Snipers come out to play .

A few contributors appear to be of Irish decent, if trailing shirt tails is a trait.

I just ignore them now.

Your argument about the 10 gauge versus the 12 was flawed.

As are your post and pretty much all posts made on forums sometimes it's spell check sometimes it's the thought police in action

The flaw? I didn't post what you wanted to hear perhaps?

Shooting the shells of the same manufacturer in load and type in both sizes at the same target at the same measured 50 yards

I mean how much more level playing field can we get without a laboratory

I honestly wanted to know myself it's surprising what nonsense we can all believe until we actually test

This was once the very best section of the forum

Edited by kent

You were talking of a penetration test, where the 10 gauge shells ' beat ' the 12. You just assumed the pellets were the same diameter and the speed was the same. Without checking both of these, your argument is flawed.

As are your post and pretty much all posts made on forums sometimes it's spell check sometimes it's the thought police in action
The flaw? I didn't post what you wanted to hear perhaps?

Shooting the shells of the same manufacturer in load and type in both sizes at the same target at the same measured 50 yards
I mean how much more level playing field can we get without a laboratory
I honestly wanted to know myself it's surprising what nonsense we can all believe until we actually test
This was once the very best section of the forum

I would just like to add you do need to learn how to shoot steel.

Steel is faster then lead patterns, tighter and has a shorter shot string.

5s steel will kill pigeons easily out 30-35 yard range i know as i have shot eley vip steel and gamebore super steel 5s,4s and 3s. Steel loads arent as forgiving as lead shot. You need to be bang on with your leed. So to say steel isnt effective is a understatment.

I uploaded a video i found a while ago which was really intresting regarding steel shot. I will find it and put it up again worth a watch.

That video allthough interesting is often controversial when reviewed in debate, but it shows up some truths about steel some never grasp no matter how long they use it.

One glaring asspect is one touched on on this thread by a few ..Steel can be a little different to shoot than lead as born out by the clay coach on the video.

This theory about deformed shot not flying straight makes sense until you talk to people who pattern their Hevishot home loads where the shot is all shapes. They reckon it patterns tighter than lead. Pattern plates aren't crossing at 40mph though.

some Lead pellets goes flattish ie like a disc and then fly funny ,heavy shot is hard and does not change shape and is shaped a bit like a tear drop and I think that helps it fly straighter if that makes sense .

I would just like to add you do need to learn how to shoot steel.

Steel is faster then lead patterns, tighter and has a shorter shot string.

5s steel will kill pigeons easily out 30-35 yard range i know as i have shot eley vip steel and gamebore super steel 5s,4s and 3s. Steel loads arent as forgiving as lead shot. You need to be bang on with your leed. So to say steel isnt effective is a understatment.

I uploaded a video i found a while ago which was really intresting regarding steel shot. I will find it and put it up again worth a watch.

so tell how your shooting changes from using lead to steel.

You were talking of a penetration test, where the 10 gauge shells ' beat ' the 12. You just assumed the pellets were the same diameter and the speed was the same. Without checking both of these, your argument is flawed.

Same manufacturer same shot same load weight. Actually another makes no matter increase in speed was claimed by the manufacturer for the 12 over the ten

I am not getting into a daft ordeal of tit n tat here there's a perfectly good ignore button waiting to be pressed

But do you concede that your assumptions mean that your test was flawed?

Same manufacturer same shot same load weight. Actually another makes no matter increase in speed was claimed by the manufacturer for the 12 over the ten

I am not getting into a daft ordeal of tit n tat here there's a perfectly good ignore button waiting to be pressed

so tell how your shooting changes from using lead to steel.

There's a lot of theoretical rubbish on here. Decent cartridge, pattern it, sensible range and you're away. Honestly can't say I've ever noticed and difference in lead or anything else between steel and lead.

*actually if you bite into a steel pellet you'll notice a big difference :lol:

There's a lot of theoretical rubbish on here. Decent cartridge, pattern it, sensible range and you're away. Honestly can't say I've ever noticed and difference in lead or anything else between steel and lead.

some on here can tell the difference in a 100 ftps or 2 which is the equivalent in not even a inch more or less forward allowance . And then somone says that steel is as effective as lead you just have to be bang on with it which totally contradicts his whole argument .

I'm pleased someone else feels the same as me. I've been reading this thread and constantly thinking 'is it just me?' I can't say steel isn't effective as I've shot loads of mallard with it, but I can't say I treat it any differently than lead either.

unquestionably its different in the lack of fluke pellet kills at extreme range that I don't think I have ever seen with steel and the five yard window were steel turns from lethal to inadequate. I rarely shoot lead now other than the 410 and using up various lead shells on crows so its hard for me to say I give more or less lead with steel. the best thing I ever did though was to leave the high shots, people do talk rot about ranges but if your below 1 kill -3 shells fowling in all conditions or you get more than an odd cripple its odds on down to range