222 the choices

pat g

Evening gents, I've got a slot on my ticket for a triple and have looked around for some decent rifles,holding out for one that really catches my eye.

I've really got a fancy for a really nice Sako75 and theres a deluxe model at the moment on Guntrader. However i've also seen some nice Tikka T3 both in lite and varmint flavours and locally there is a really nice CZ527 for sale. However i've also seen a nice Steyr Prohunter. So your thoughts and and advice would be much appreciated although i'm in no hurry to rush out and buy straight away :good:

ATB,

Pat

i like the T3 lite. been one in the cabinet for a few years. has done me proud. in fact all my cf rifles have been Tikka T3's. i had the chance of a sako 75 in 6.5se and turned it down as my tikka t3 6.5se shoots to darn well. i have a 308 in sako 75, well did have, just sold it. i also have the T3 triple2 in there to but not used as often anymore. should sell it really.

Hi

I can only reiterate BK's comment regarding M595's - I have been running one for many years (stainless/synthetic) and never regretted it. I remember reading somewhere that Accountants got involved hence the T3 - I prefer mine 'full-fat'!

Sako's and Tikka's is the same debate in watches of Rolex/Tudor - in hindsight I would have had the equivalent Sako but it cost more.

L

PS:

A friend has the German engineered/built HW 60J in the same suit which is also worth thinking about.

Edited by Loki

Hi

There's a lot of other makes

222 is / was a very popular accurate rifle bench rest and varmint

My currant one is weirack (spell check sorry) heavy barrel and semi target stock bit heavy to carry all day but I don't

High seat truck bonnet or wing mirror or lazy eavenings laying out waiting for longer vermin shots is more my shooting now

So I would say have a good look decide what your going to use it for ?

What your going to bolt on it

Scope / night vision / thermal

And decide do you want a light spotter or a heavy steady rifle

Just my thoughts

All the best

Of

Many thanks for the replies :) Certainly a lot of food for thought. I intend probably doing a PX on this future purchase. Thinking of letting the HMR go and using the 222 for Fox and long Range corvids etc. I have the 243 for stalking here in England and thought a 222 would fit in nice between my 22lr and my 243 added to the fact i can use it for Roe stalking across the border if i wish. One of my permissions is very windy and the little 17gr pill of the hummer struggles when stretching its limbs. I had for some time considered the 17 Hornet but again with a small light bullet i think i'll not gain much over the Hummer in reality? So when my ticket came up for renewal last year i plumped for the free variation and added the triple.

I have looked at the Weihrauchs and the Heavy barrel version does look a quality rifle. The rifle will be a walking Varmint tool and also used from a static position and a vehicle. I could probably live with a heavy barrel when all things considered. I intend to use the rifle with a scope too rather than NV.

The Steyr Pro Hunters look Favourable too? Any thoughts on that one welcomed?

ATB,

Pat

Think about loading the magazine,

Is it detachable ?

Can it drop out and get lost ?

Can you load from the top ?

The trigger,

Check the trigger pull weight , can it be altered ?

How much are after market triggers ?

Has it been screw cut ?

And most importantly the condition of the barrel.

Just a few things I would look at before buying.

i bought a BRNO for £120 with a Tasco scope that I sold for £75

4" down from the muzzle was section of pitting that had removed approx 1.5" of the rifling

I shot touching holes sometimes and well within 1/2-2/3" at all times

It did this with monotonous regularity with 50-60gr loads

don't discount a barrel that you think might be rough until you shoot it

+1 for the Tikka but then CZ are nice and cheap too... all depends on what you want it for and whether you're a gun snob or not :)

I went for wood/blue over stainless because I didn't want a reflection giving me away while hunting which wouldnt probably matter at 150 yards or so but you never know... :hmm:

Pick some up and see which feel best for you..

It was a bargain. I did say a few post back. Couldn't advertise on here as one one a year allowed so PW members missed out. Lol

It was a bargain. I did say a few post back. Couldn't advertise on here as one one a year allowed so PW members missed out. Lol

No, that's a lie. It was a pigeonwatch member that found a way to buy it so well done to him/her

Cz best value for money and will shoot as good as anything

Sako 75 is my favourite drop box hunting rifle and unlike some comes in a dedicated small action not one size fits all short 223 223 and medium 308 243 etc long 30-06 etc

I have both a Cz 527 and a Sako 75 and have owned or used all the others mentioned