Hands up if you've been waiting more than six months for a renewal

fortune

Had an email from the TVP Firearms manager.

"The Firearms Licensing Department has performed well for a number of years and the turnaround times for dealing with applications has been good. The department has had a service level agreement of dealing with applications within 60 working days and usually completed these within 30 - 40 working days. The department has, however, faced a number of challenges during the last year creating a backlog and delays in processing applications of up to 5 months.

The volume of work this year has increased because of the peak renewal period resulting from the changes some years ago in the length of time certificates remained valid. The department was resourced to meet the demands during this peak renewal period before the occurrence of unforeseen factors.

There was an extensive flood in the department and although a business continuity plan was implemented and worked reasonably well, overall productivity was reduced with staff working from alternative sites. Water damage also necessitated some completed work to be redone.

In addition, the system used to manage firearms licensing, the National Firearms Licensing Management System is near end of life and its use in this Force has been slow and unstable. This has been resolved but also contributed to an accumulation of outstanding work. Thames Valley Police together with other forces are contributing to the design of a new system and we have offered to be an early adopter to assist in its implementation and roll out.

The department is also dealing with a significant increase in public safety work often involving certificate holders being involved in domestic abuse incidents. Every public safety incident is fully investigated and certificate holders’ continued suitability to hold a certificate or have one issued is fully reviewed. Last year there were 223 revocations and refusals resulting in 26 appeals to the Crown Court; this year the current revocation/refusal figure stands at 138 with 16 ongoing appeals. The critical nature of this work has required the diversion of some resources from dealing with the processing of applications.

The Chief Constables Management Team has reviewed the demand that is currently placed on the firearms licensing department and has authorised two additional temporary members of staff to assist in processing the backlog. This was a difficult but necessary decision particularly in these times of austerity; however, these members of staff have now been recruited and are already having a positive impact.

I have also met with PCC Stansfeld regarding concerns raised by the shooting community. He is fully supportive of the department and committed to ensuring that the administration of firearms licensing within the Thames Valley Police area is efficient and in accordance with Home Office Guidance.

I’m pleased to inform you that your shot gun certificate was posted to you on 16 June 2016 - these are sent out via second class post so you should hopefully receive it this week. Please accept my apologies for the delay in processing your application; my staff are working extremely hard to improve the service that we provide to the whole shooting community.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further assistance in this matter.

Kind regards

Zoey Evans I Firearms Licensing Manager I Firearms & Explosives Licensing Department I

Tel: 01865 846566 I Fax: 01865 293826 I Email: zoey.evans@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk I

Address: Thames Valley Police HQ, Oxford Road, Kidlington, OX5 2NX

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

i sent my renewal forms back to TVP back in nov 2015 i recived a temporary permits on 17/4/2016

the temporary permits runs out on the 16/10/2016. i had a phone call 3 weeks ago from TVP Firearms officer

saying as nothing has changed so he can deal with it over the phone

and i he said i should receive my new FAC and SG certificates in the couple of weeks time

guess what arrived today??? some more temporary permits mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.vKvXV_z4ci.gif im :no: happy what is going on with TVP :sad1:

Edited by ant.mass

Leicestershire are golden, both operational and the office girls. Needed a quick turn around on my FAC and had it in five days. They don't suffer fools but act grown up and you get good service.

If you write to the Chief Constable always copy it to your MP and the Home Office, it tends to stir things a bit better.

Edited by Walker570

Had an email from the TVP Firearms manager.

"The Firearms Licensing Department has performed well for a number of years and the turnaround times for dealing with applications has been good. The department has had a service level agreement of dealing with applications within 60 working days and usually completed these within 30 - 40 working days. The department has, however, faced a number of challenges during the last year creating a backlog and delays in processing applications of up to 5 months.

The volume of work this year has increased because of the peak renewal period resulting from the changes some years ago in the length of time certificates remained valid. The department was resourced to meet the demands during this peak renewal period before the occurrence of unforeseen factors.

There was an extensive flood in the department and although a business continuity plan was implemented and worked reasonably well, overall productivity was reduced with staff working from alternative sites. Water damage also necessitated some completed work to be redone.

In addition, the system used to manage firearms licensing, the National Firearms Licensing Management System is near end of life and its use in this Force has been slow and unstable. This has been resolved but also contributed to an accumulation of outstanding work. Thames Valley Police together with other forces are contributing to the design of a new system and we have offered to be an early adopter to assist in its implementation and roll out.

The department is also dealing with a significant increase in public safety work often involving certificate holders being involved in domestic abuse incidents. Every public safety incident is fully investigated and certificate holders’ continued suitability to hold a certificate or have one issued is fully reviewed. Last year there were 223 revocations and refusals resulting in 26 appeals to the Crown Court; this year the current revocation/refusal figure stands at 138 with 16 ongoing appeals. The critical nature of this work has required the diversion of some resources from dealing with the processing of applications.

Just a load of flim flam excuses.

The Chief Constables Management Team has reviewed the demand that is currently placed on the firearms licensing department and has authorised two additional temporary members of staff to assist in processing the backlog. This was a difficult but necessary decision particularly in these times of austerity; however, these members of staff have now been recruited and are already having a positive impact.

Belated action after the events >> Poor management

I have also met with PCC Stansfeld regarding concerns raised by the shooting community. Please help me / us. We are overloaded.

He is fully supportive of the department and committed to ensuring that the administration of firearms licensing within the Thames Valley Police area is efficient and in accordance with Home Office Guidance.

The paying cert holders and the shooting comunity can damn well wait. It's only an unecessary hobby that is being subsidized by the police budget.

I’m pleased to inform you that your shot gun certificate was posted to you on 16 June 2016 - these are sent out via second class post so you should hopefully receive it this week. Please accept my apologies for the delay in processing your application; my staff are working extremely hard to improve the service that we provide to the whole shooting community.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require further assistance in this matter.

There is a high probability that the wording on the cert/ s is a load of rubbish and we have left half of the weapons off of the cert or not given an ammunition allocation for all of the calibers that you have weapons for. So if this is the case tell us and then we can have your cert back for X months to re do the work that you have notified us that we have got wrong so that we can do it again. Then we will, at some time x months in the future send it back to you so that you can look at it again and see if we have made any glaring cock ups and it has to come back again.

Kind regards

Zoey Evans I Firearms Licensing Manager I Firearms & Explosives Licensing Department I

Tel: 01865 846566 I Fax: 01865 293826 I Email: zoey.evans@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk I

Address: Thames Valley Police HQ, Oxford Road, Kidlington, OX5 2NX

i sent my renewal forms back to TVP back in nov 2015 i recived a temporary permits on 17/4/2016

the temporary permits runs out on the 16/10/2016. i had a phone call 3 weeks ago from TVP Firearms officer

and i he said i should receive my new FAC and SG certificates in the couple of weeks time

guess what arrived today??? some more temporary permits mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.vKvXV_z4ci.gif im :no: happy what is going on with TVP :sad1:

What you complaining about? It not a year yet . They're doing their best. How is it that some forces have a quick turn around and others have this long/ What is basc doing about it? what influence have they got? There is an official complaints procedure available. ask about it that will shift them.

Edited by fortune

Wow....and I thought 9 months ( which I have been informed it will take to receive mine ) was a long time. License fee worth every penny ? :)

Sussex seem to be very good, I changed address recently, sent the local firearms team an email, they phoned me the next day popped round at a convenient time checked the cabinet took my license and a new one arrived in the post........3 days later!!!

Now that's service to be praised.

Mike

I've been under 3 forces for firearms and shotgun

South Wales police

Avon and Somerset

Wiltshire

I have been really lucky with all three, my latest renewal for SGC was turned around in 5 weeks, maybe they are all slowly going down hill or I've been incredibly lucky.

Another thing that is concerning is the new medical declaration from GP's, I've met some really scatty Drs who don't know what month they are in, great GP's but administratively all over the place.

• 2 months later...

:lol::lol: Like I said.

Nothing like shopping at the supermarket, well not the ones I use anyway.

I actually rang and spoke to the Firearms department, before committing the said offence.

It was quite a civil conversation, no demanding that I should have my ticket back on such a date, not throwing my toys out of the pram at all. During the conversation (obviously names were exchanged and noted for future ref), and part of which they had my sympathies regarding the extra work load they now have, and less staff to cope,(much like my place of work) and by the way nothing they can do about it Its out of there control.

So I didn't consider myself to be breaking the law, although I may have bent it a little and been advised to by those that were in a better position to do so than most on here.

Does it make me proud ?

Proud of what ?

Maybe I am proud, Proud of trying to be an understanding polite kind of person that seems to get what they want out of life without being a bolshie foot stamping bloke that spits there dummy out the pram when they don't get what they want when they want.

Some people should try the Carrot method and not the big stick. :yes:

well done dougy, shame about the envious

• 1 month later...

there's still no sign on my tickets and my 2nd lot of Temporary Permits which runs out today

Nov 2015 !!! That must be some sort of record. Will it get to having no real cert for half of the life of the cert and having to operate with a restricted S7 ?

Edited by fortune

• 4 weeks later...

My shotgun renewal has just gone in to Kent police, it's due to expire in June this year.

Was told on the phone today that they will issue a section 7 when my licence expires also had it confirmed by email.

Doesn't sound great does it.

I have just phoned BASC and let them know the score and the guy didn't seem that surprised at all and just said that at least with a section 7 for shotgun you can still buy ammunition.

Was hoping that BASC might have seemed more interested but I guess not

My shotgun renewal has just gone in to Kent police, it's due to expire in June this year.

Was told on the phone today that they will issue a section 7 when my licence expires also had it confirmed by email.

Doesn't sound great does it.

I have just phoned BASC and let them know the score and the guy didn't seem that surprised at all and just said that at least with a section 7 for shotgun you can still buy ammunition.

BASC could not give two ***** once they have cashed your cheque.. there is a whole bunch of stuff going on with various regional forces which I didn't realise or understand until today but has caused additional work, having been pretty irritated by a 44 week wait on a simple FAC grant I am now very happy about the wait and appreciative of the work that goes on that we never get to see or hear of..

BASC could not give two ***** once they have cashed your cheque.. there is a whole bunch of stuff going on with various regional forces which I didn't realise or understand until today but has caused additional work, having been pretty irritated by a 44 week wait on a simple FAC grant I am now very happy about the wait and appreciative of the work that goes on that we never get to see or hear of..

Are you going to shed some light on your findings ?

Can you expand on what this entails and who is doing " the work that goes on that we never get to see or hear of.." Your statement doesn't show much interest from >>BASC could not give two ***** once they have cashed your cheque.

AS above post #116

And post #113 Not if they dont expect to have got on top of this fiasco when your cert runs out next june.

Edited by fortune

• 4 weeks later...

Sussex seem to be very good, I changed address recently, sent the local firearms team an email, they phoned me the next day popped round at a convenient time checked the cabinet took my license and a new one arrived in the post........3 days later!!!

Now that's service to be praised.

Mike

Hopefully they'll be as speedy for my Grant.

Paperwork sent off on the 15th Feb.

They've been excellent so far. They've responded to all my questions within minutes of me pinging them an email.

Are you going to shed some light on your findings ?

It's not something for public domain, but is very valid and something that genuine shooters and the public should be glad of, just a shame that they can't explain in advance.. I was very disappointed in delay but now understand, however service levels should improve exponentially shortly otherwise the reason loses credibility.

Can you expand on what this entails and who is doing " the work that goes on that we never get to see or hear of.." Your statement doesn't show much interest from >>BASC could not give two ***** once they have cashed your cheque.

AS above post #116

Police are taking in a lot of extra work following historic short comings, BASC show no interest in enquiries and should have been on top of the situation and advising members, complete shower in my opinion.