8's For Sporting Clays?

For simplicity I'm going to be buying a bit of shot for my 21gram 20gauge clay loads and was thinking of going down to 8 shot to help compensate for the small payload. I seem to do fine with the hard 7.5 shot I produce in these cartridges but thought the extra pellet count may make them even better but I'm not sure how well the smaller shot will break longer clays.

Any thoughts on using 8 shot for Sporting Clays

For simplicity I'm going to be buying a bit of shot for my 21gram 20gauge clay loads and was thinking of going down to 8 shot to help compensate for the small payload. I seem to do fine with the hard 7.5 shot I produce in these cartridges but thought the extra pellet count may make them even better but I'm not sure how well the smaller shot will break longer clays.

Any thoughts on using 8 shot for Sporting Clays

I've used 8's almost exclusively for clays for three decades and ehb102 is right that world and domestic championships have been won with 8's. Your logic is spot on, the lower the weight of the load the more sense it makes to drop down to 8's.

I've been very tempted to produce exactly the load you're talking about (i.e. 21g of #8) for my 16 gauge. It has never fired a shot at a clay whilst I've owned it, but I was thinking that now I reload for it, I could change that.

What recipe would you use? I wonder if you could use Vectan AS for that load in a 20ga, or whether you'd still need A1 or something slower.

I've been very tempted to produce exactly the load you're talking about (i.e. 21g of #8) for my 16 gauge. It has never fired a shot at a clay whilst I've owned it, but I was thinking that now I reload for it, I could change that.

What recipe would you use? I wonder if you could use Vectan AS for that load in a 20ga, or whether you'd still need A1 or something slower.

I've been using a proofed load of 15grains AS with 21grams of shot for my go to 20gauge clay load for a while now. I shoot more clays with that than my shooting partner and his 28gram 12 gauge Gamebore Velocity. The breaks may not be as dramatic but point the gun in the right direction and they do break. Very easy on the shoulder too. 1280fps and 650bar.

Edited by sitsinhedges

I've been using a proofed load of 15grains AS with 21grams of shot for my go to 20gauge clay load for a while now. I shoot more clays with that than my shooting partner and his 28gram 12 gauge Gamebore Velocity. The breaks may not be as dramatic but point the gun in the right direction and they do break. Very easy on the shoulder too. 1280fps and 650bar.

Thanks for coming back to me on that. I think it might be time to look up what the 16 gauge powder charge is and get my next order in to Clay & Game... :)

I haven't shot clays for a long time but to end up with I shot all my sporting with no8's through half choke and left the other chokes in the club house. I felt that I was getting myself all wound up trying to decide which combo was going to work best for the next few birds, so I went middle of the road with both shot size and choke.

I am lead to believe that Carl Bloxham used to turn up to all of the CLA Gamefair shoots with specially loaded Eley VIP fibre shells.

They were exclusively 8s and because the organisers were too slow to limit the payload he was shooting 36 grammes from unmarked cases.

He took plenty of cash home from the 3 day shoots!

Simplicity is great, buy a fixed choke gun or never change the chokes of a multi-choked gun make sure it fits you and stick to a single cartridge.

At least you will know that it is not the gun or cartridges causing you to miss!