EU In or out

old'un

That`s a very broad statement to make. I was chatting with a Serbian mate and mentioned to him I`d heard the Serbian president had said that if the UK went for the Brexit it would make Serbia joining the EU a less attractive option. My mate`s opinion was that the EU was good for large, wealthy countries but bad for smaller poorer countries and that he would not wish to join.

That may be a recent view based on the economic problems of Greece and the others. The shine has gone off the EU in some respects.The EU had a habit of promising a crock of gold to new, small countries and they believed it. Now, the price of this is clear for all to see and some who would have jumped at membership a few years ago, will be wary now.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardly a shock when there are two years to negotiate the exit should the vote go that way. As Farage said earlier; Old chums helping each other out.

Yes, and once again Mr.Farage is absolutely right.

If you look at the G20 nations there are 4 countries currently in the EU and the EU itself so the other 15 countries are not in the EU. These comprise the largest, most dynamic trading nations across the globe.

My question to these 15 countries would be 'How on earth do you manage to trade successfully with other nations all across the world when you aren't in a monetary and political union with your trading partners?'.

Can you imagine Mexico overruling US law, or China insisting on an open border with Russia? Of course it wouldn't happen... because there is absolutely no need whatsoever to have a political union in order to be able to trade.

It's an absolute fallacy to suggest this country would be cut adrift in the world.

Maybe so, but I'll bet the Serbian president can't sign up quick enough, then hold his hand out.

As I said, that would appear to depend on the result of our referendum.

That may be a recent view based on the economic problems of Greece and the others. The shine has gone off the EU in some respects.The EU had a habit of promising a crock of gold to new, small countries and they believed it. Now, the price of this is clear for all to see and some who would have jumped at membership a few years ago, will be wary now.

Quite possibly.

I bet a lot of British women are watching the queues of Islamist young males trying to get into UESR countries with horror. Once they have been granted asylum in Germany, they will be thinking of coming to Britain.

Apparently Germany has 'lost' over 130,000 asylum seekers. They say that these may have been people who have made several claims so in effect there are multiple applications from single applicants, or may have moved onto other countries. Either way, it is a total shambles.

I really don't know why it would be a shock, I can understand where we can contrive reasons why there could be a disruptive effect, but I do believe that would be contrived.

Because the markets don't like uncertainty. That's not something governments control, it just how the global economy works. It doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. It just means the markets would react and take their time to adjust.

On the news this morning it's claimed that the mp's on the out side are being denied access to information on the eu by our man dave.not that he is trying to stitch us up at all.he has already said he will not stand for another term after this one so he wants in to secure his future earnings of many millions.

On the news this morning it's claimed that the mp's on the out side are being denied access to information on the eu by our man dave.not that he is trying to stitch us up at all.he has already said he will not stand for another term after this one so he wants in to secure his future earnings of many millions.

To be fair, I think it more likely that he believes the uk would be better in than out rather than his possible future employment possibilities. Let's be realistic for a moment, ex prime ministers aren't short of cash or well paid job offers with or without the EU.

To be fair, I think it more likely that he believes the uk would be better in than out rather than his possible future employment possibilities. Let's be realistic for a moment, ex prime ministers aren't short of cash or well paid job offers with or without the EU.

It doesn't matter what he believes!! That information should be available to any member of government.

Apparently Germany has 'lost' over 130,000 asylum seekers. They say that these may have been people who have made several claims so in effect there are multiple applications from single applicants, or may have moved onto other countries. Either way, it is a total shambles.

What? an asylum seeker making multiple applications? Surely not? How could anyone think that?

It's becoming increasingly clear that the majority of television time is being given to the 'in' camp. We are being fed no end of horror stories about how bad things will be if we leave the union, and how the country will be worse off etc etc. :mad:

I know it's asking a lot of the clearly biased government leader to present a balanced view, but the constant 'europe is good' messages are just driving me mad. :mad::mad:

It's becoming increasingly clear that the majority of television time is being given to the 'in' camp. We are being fed no end of horror stories about how bad things will be if we leave the union, and how the country will be worse off etc etc. :mad:

I know it's asking a lot of the clearly biased government leader to present a balanced view, but the constant 'europe is good' messages are just driving me mad. :mad::mad:

Yes like sky/bbc news this morning, news reader.....

"government sources have said that 2 million plus Brits living abroad would be worse off and may have to come home" and that was it,

no explanation, no brake down of figures, and no reason as to why they would all need to come back here.

Utter rubbish and the media scare mongering, lets have a statement from whoever and then give us the facts behind that statement.

These are just some other comments made by the media and politicians without any other facts, or explanation.

We would be worse off out?

Thousands of jobs are at risk?

Lots of companies and financial institutes will pull out of the UK?

Our boarders will be weaker?

We are stronger together?

Being together helps stop wars?

Better to stop in and fight for changes within (you have already tried that Dave)

It will be difficult to sell into the EU from outside?

And the list goes on............

For me it is a terrible injustice to the UK population that expats are able to vote in this referendum. As they have made the conscious decision to leave the UK behind and no longer contribute to the UK economy or way of life I am disappointed the government did not bar nondoms from voting on such a crucial matter.

For me it is a terrible injustice to the UK population that expats are able to vote in this referendum. As they have made the conscious decision to leave the UK behind and no longer contribute to the UK economy or way of life I am disappointed the government did not bar nondoms from voting on such a crucial matter.

A VERY valid point!

Many ex-pats are still paying their dues to HMRC. I get taxed on my pension and any interest in savings in my UK bank. A lot still have properties in the UK and pay council tax and also tax on any rental income plus tax on income and savings.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but personally I won't be voting because I don't feel comfortable about it.

Many ex-pats are still paying their dues to HMRC. I get taxed on my pension and any interest in savings in my UK bank. A lot still have properties in the UK and pay council tax and also tax on any rental income plus tax on income and savings.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but personally I won't be voting because I don't feel comfortable about it.

Think it's fair if you don't intend returning in the near future you don't vote. If you do intend returning shortly then a vote is fair.

But surely those that have taken the decision to freely move, work or live in the wider EU have a vested interest in our membership? I would have thought that these are the people with most at stake and it would be perverse to deny them the chance to vote.

Directly contributing to the economy (or 'our' way of life) isn't a factor in the ability to vote, otherwise Roman Abramovich, Mohammed Al Fayed and Mark Carney would all get a vote.

I covered it earlier in the thread. No need to repeat myself if you look back.

Not necessarily, that agreement could remain in place, after all there are some French people and others from European countries in the UK, remember that the reciprocal health agreement does not include some member states such as Holland for example! Your argument is null and void!

With Dave about to return with our future in is hands (or the EU's) and a possible referendum in June, what are the views of PW members?

IN or OUT

For what its worth my vote is OUT

I'd like to say out, but. We have to be careful. Once we're out we could lose out big time. The only reason we got paid on the handgun ban was because Europe made them. Just think. Out of eu no protection for our gear. A full ban would be a case of hand them over for pennies or else. Cheap way for the gun grabbers

I'd like to say out, but. We have to be careful. Once we're out we could lose out big time. The only reason we got paid on the handgun ban was because Europe made them. Just think. Out of eu no protection for our gear. A full ban would be a case of hand them over for pennies or else. Cheap way for the gun grabbers

What are you basing your assumption upon?