retirement age

armsid

Its only in recent years that the state pension/retirement age has been a concern to the government. For most of its life it has been a good earner for them with income from contributions exceeding expenditure. The same with the NHS, don't get fooled into thinking these things were introduced as philanthropic gestures by benign governments of the day.

Now they have outlived their usefulness they will have to go, one way or another.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit I'm finding it hard to understand where you're coming from here.

Are you saying people over 70 have been retired 20+ years, meaning they retired in their 50's?

I'm confused.

My friend Mike retired as a policeman on his 50th birthday on a full pension and he has now been retired almost as long as he served. Some people do retire in their 50s

Edited by Vince Green

My Father in Law died at 62, His Pension Died With Him, My Mother in Law had To Go Cleaning at The Hospital to make ends meet.

Does this sound right when people can claim benefits who have NEVER Put ANYTHING In.??.

well thats good old england, for you,and people are proud to be british,not me

My friend Mike retired as a policeman on his 50th birthday on a full pension and he has now been retired almost as long as he served. Some people do retire in their 50s

I remember reading about one retired officer who'd died aged 105. That is 55 years on the police pension. That's the way to do it :lol:

Sadly though many officers die relatively soon after retirement. Quite a few of my friends and former colleagues never made 60, and this was reflected in the notifications published in General Orders. Some blame shift work and stress as the reasons.

Just for information; up to relatively recently when the police pensions scheme changed for the worse, police officers had to contribute 11% of their pay into the pension scheme. It didn't come for nothing.

Yes, but the thread is about the state pension, not defined benefits pensions.

Yes but, no but, police pensions are not paid by a seperate pension fund, they are paid directly from the public purse.

Well yes, all public service pensions are paid from the public purse but as I've said the police pension is a defined benefit scheme and is dependent on years of service. Retired officers still can't claim state pension until they reach state pensionable age, the same as anyone else.

Well yes, all public service pensions are paid from the public purse but as I've said the police pension is a defined benefit scheme and is dependent on years of service. Retired officers still can't claim state pension until they reach state pensionable age, the same as anyone else.

Look what you have to be though to get a police pension :rolleyes:

:whistling:

I think the example of police retiring earlier than the pension age was to demonstrate that early retirement from work does not always equate to living longer.

I think the example of police retiring earlier than the pension age was to demonstrate that early retirement from work does not always equate to living longer.

No, not always I'll agree, but my dad retired from the police after 30 years service and he's still going strong at 87.

I think when your time's up your time's up. Some go early and some carry on for a while. I don't think it's got a lot to do with the age people retire.

I think when your time's up your time's up. Some go early and some carry on for a while. I don't think it's got a lot to do with the age people retire.

Indeed and there are loads of factors that contribute, but in general as demonstrated by the stat's that you posted earlier people are living longer than they used to.

No daft conspiracies that only people who retire early live longer and that extending the state age is a Machiavellian scheme to get people to die off before their time and scoop up the pension contributions to pay for nefarious schemes of world domination.

Start work at 15 and be sensible with your earnings, retire before you are 60, it's always been possible.

Start work at 15, work hard and earn loads, have a real good time and tell your kids not to fret when you pop off as you've enjoyed every minute of it :good:

And have a miserable life.

You cannot have it all and then spend it - when will some realise this.

A wise man told me once that of your disposable income you need to save half and spend half.

Save half for emergencies and 'the future', and spend half to ensure that you do not have a miserable life, as you call it.

I managed to pay off the mortgage well before I retired, and as a result when I retired I treated myself to a new car and an AYA No 2 - something that I had lusted after for many years and enjoy it more as a result. We can now afford to go on cruises whenever we want to, whereas when the kids were young we went camping. Guess what - the kids enjoyed camping just as much as the rare foreign holidays that we treated them to many years later.

As I have said before, the world appears to be full of people who find plenty of money for fags and booze, and foreign holidays twice a year, and their kids all have I phones and X boxes and the world lives on tick. Strangely enough they appear to be miserable ones who also say that they will never be able to retire and pay off the mortgage.

Also as I have said previously, I do appreciate that there are many out there that due to no fault of their own they do struggle financially, but in my experience they are the ones who do not whinge for the world and blame everyone else.

Dead Eyed Duck, good post and all I would add is that there is also no guarantee of fairness in life, some save and shuffle off their mortal coil before they can spend it, some don't even get the chance to enjoy life and expire before it begins and some are beset by misfortune in health or circumstance that means that life is a constant battle.

Life isn't fair, but we have to hope that we get a good chance at it and plan accordingly.

I hope that you continue to enjoy fair winds to enjoy the rewards of planning earlier in life :)

And have a miserable life.

I started work at 15 , I done manual work ( brick layer ) from the day I left school up until the time when I decided to retire on my 60th birthday , have I got a miserable life ? , I can honestly say in the 9yrs I called it a day, I have never regretted a single day of retirement , and looking back my only regret is I didn't pack up a few years earlier .

My boss said to me when we were on a shoot one day , what are you going to do for money , I replied , well I have got enough to keep me going for a little while , maybe , but it wont last for ever , and my answer to that was , yea I know ,but nor will I last for ever.

Indeed and there are loads of factors that contribute, but in general as demonstrated by the stat's that you posted earlier people are living longer than they used to.

Absolutely people are living longer, for a whole host of reasons.

Medicine is an obvious factor, but health education, H&S at work, healthier food options, better air and water quality... the list goes on.

Another thing that nobody seems to have mentioned yet, the vast majority of kids today go on to further education and university often not starting work until their early 20's. Most people in my day started work just after leaving school at 16. A few went to college and only the top kids went on to uni.

I left school at 15 and can retire at 65, so I'll have worked for 50 years.

A youngster today leaving uni at 23 will probably work until 67 so will only work for 44 years...lazy ********! :)

Dead Eyed Duck, good post and all I would add is that there is also no guarantee of fairness in life, some save and shuffle off their mortal coil before they can spend it, some don't even get the chance to enjoy life and expire before it begins and some are beset by misfortune in health or circumstance that means that life is a constant battle.

Life isn't fair, but we have to hope that we get a good chance at it and plan accordingly.

I hope that you continue to enjoy fair winds to enjoy the rewards of planning earlier in life :)

Thank you for your kind words.

As my father said to me once - "If we knew that we were going to live until the age of 76 years and three months and 14 days we could all plan for it".

The downside being of course would we want to know if we were going to drop dead of stress, and prolonged ill-health at the age of 50 years and two months?

All you can do is to plan for the future and cross your fingers....

If you don't plan then you shouldn't complain about life being hard, and how the rich pensioners are scamming the system.

Edited by Dead-Eyed Duck

We all have different gene pools in our ancestry. My grandfather was born out of wedlock in 1858 and died aged 80 having never retired. All his children, born before 1900, retired before they were 60 and all lived well into their 80s. I don't think I will ever completely retire, just slow down. I really pity people in jobs they hate, wishing they could get a brown redundancy envelope.

Particularly over the last 15 years we've been told that we need to bring in lots of immigrants to pay for our future state pensions. Well, when there's a scheme that's not fundable and the only way to keep the payments going is to recruit more participants that don't half sound like a pyramid scheme to me and they're illegal and with good reason.

One of my collegues retired at 55 and died 18mths later. When I got an offer I couldn't refuse - a lump sum and £30k pa at 53 years of age - I retired and whilst I have small pangs of guilt from time to time I've now had 10 yrs retirement with relatively good health so have a lot to be grateful of. Getting my state pension next year £6k and as a higher rate tax payer for the last 15 yrs of my career I feel I'm entitled to this. Did start work at 16 too plus 5 yrs part time on a duck farm whilst at school and have worked part time for 9 years paying tax on every penny earned. Can't understand why some people are happy not to work. Just might put my feet up when I hit 65.