Bird table ruthlessness

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do love it when the non farmer types among us say they do not shoot pigeon for sport but pest control :lol:

I mean do people who have no land go door knocking and spend their cash on cartridges , equipment and fuel because they feel they must help the poor farmer out in case the cost of a loaf of bread has to rise due to pigeon damage ?

Or do they perhaps do it because they enjoy it and it is a sport to them ?, its a shame some cannot say what they mean rather spouting the political correctness they think people want to hear.

I do love it when the non farmer types among us say they do not shoot pigeon for sport but pest control :lol:

I mean do people who have no land go door knocking and spend their cash on cartridges , equipment and fuel because they feel they must help the poor farmer out in case the cost of a loaf of bread has to rise due to pigeon damage ?

Or do they perhaps do it because they enjoy it and it is a sport to them ?, its a shame some cannot say what they mean rather spouting the political correctness they think people want to hear.

Spot on as normal fenboy.

This.

Pigeon shooting is no less a sporting challenge, infact some would say more so, than a great fat phesant that does not have more than 30 seconds capability for powered flight.

Quite why people suggest they shoot pigeon and crows for any other reason than their own sport is beyond me. The humble pigeon has to be one of the most sporting and challenging quarry species there is.

Don't think I mentioned pigeons did I? I referred to pest control! I enjoy all forms of shotgun shooting, I would shoot a pigeon, crow, rat, rabbit, magpie etc. sitting.......... but i would not shoot game birds or wildfowl in a similar manner! Would you? Edited by panoma1

Actually I should say I do shoot crows for pest control over sport likewise foxes. I get my rewards by a good nesting season

I haven't found fox killing sport for years. I admit crows are exiting as they are canny when you have had the majority of them

I used to do a lot of rough shooting as a lad for sport. Now I only clay shoot, as I've got older I don't see killing things as sport, my personal feeling. In the last 10 days I've shot 16 squirrels with more to go. For me this is pest control, not sport or fun. I don't enjoy it but it's necessary and I try to be as humane as possible. Not pc, don't know the meaning of the words.

I used to do a lot of rough shooting as a lad for sport. Now I only clay shoot, as I've got older I don't see killing things as sport, my personal feeling. In the last 10 days I've shot 16 squirrels with more to go. For me this is pest control, not sport or fun. I don't enjoy it but it's necessary and I try to be as humane as possible. Not pc, don't know the meaning of the words.

Are the squirrels damaging your own property ? , if so I can understand you shooting them for pest control and not particularly enjoy doing it .

I can also understand if you are shooting them as part of your job .

If however they are damaging someone else's property then if you do not enjoy it simply do not do it .

Edited by fenboy

Are the squirrels damaging your own property ? , if so I can understand you shooting them for pest control and not particularly enjoy doing it .

I can also understand if you are shooting them as part of your job .

If however they are damaging someone else's property then if you do not enjoy it simply do not do it .

They have damaged several trees in the garden which I've had to cut down, also they damage the bird feeders and have worn bare patches on the grass where they take bird seed. The tree damage in the adjoining wood (to which I don't have access) is also extensive.

Another one this morning - 17!

I have squirrels in my garden all the time,they empty the bird feeders in no time,the question is can i shoot them within the law?

Yes, anytime, anywhere, no restrictions as long as you are shooting where you have permission to.

I've got a pair of collards in a neighbours tree outside my window and a family of sparrows in a hedge over the road that start up at around 5 in the morning at the moment, I would use napalm on them given half a chance!!

The collards used to nest in a magnolia tree in my front garden but they drove me so crazy I cut it down so they moved next door :rolleyes:

Edited by 955i

I've got a pair of collards in a neighbours tree outside my window and a family of sparrows in a hedge over the road that start up at around 5 in the morning at the moment, I would use napalm on them given half a chance!!

The collards used to nest in a magnolia tree in my front garden but they drove me so crazy I cut it down so they moved next door :rolleyes:

Every year I get some chaffinch's in my garden , their call drives me nut's , I can even hear it through my double glazing !!

Wow you need to learn to appreciate these things in life not despise them

Just buy a squirrel-proof bird feeder. Since I got one in my garden the squirrels haven't been able to raid the bird food, the design of these things also makes it difficult for a pigeon to feed from them too.

Had them before,they just destroyed them in days,we have thrushes nest in the hedge,last year i found empty shells in the garden,so its not just the feeders they raid.