First gun - Gun Auction

ruraltownie

Hi all,

I'm new here so first let me introduce myself... I am new to field sports and beginning the process of applying for my first shotgun licence. I have been clay shooting at my local ground fora couple of months now and I am beginning to scope out my first shotgun.

I have recently found there are some fairly local gun auctions at Salisbury. I wanted to get peoples take on buying a shotgun from an auction? I see there is no guarantee that the gun is functional and has no faults, and of course this why I am a little cautious.

Nice to meet you all.

Hi all,

I'm new here so first let me introduce myself... I am new to field sports and beginning the process of applying for my first shotgun licence. I have been clay shooting at my local ground fora couple of months now and I am beginning to scope out my first shotgun.

I have recently found there are some fairly local gun auctions at Salisbury. I wanted to get peoples take on buying a shotgun from an auction? I see there is no guarantee that the gun is functional and has no faults, and of course this why I am a little cautious.

Nice to meet you all.

:welcomeani: to the forum,

I help Wabbitbosher sometimes at auctions, the amount of non-functioning guns is unreal. Many dealers will get rid of stuff that needs work via auction, not to be dishonest but on the basis that it will most likely be another dealer who will buy it having identified the fault during viewing.

For that reason, I would never advise a new shooter to buy from an auction, the chances of getting sold a pup are just too high. As has been suggested, give WB a shout and he will see you right.

Welcome to PW! I can only support what everyone has said go to the Wabbitbosher he'll see you right and you can buy with total confidence from him top bloke! He's helped me out with some hard to find parts for my old Browning Auto-5 recently.

Oh and as oowee says buy a bigger cabinet than you think you'll need. Trust me you'll fill it!! Mines bursting at the seams at the moment and I wish I had gone for a bigger one!!

Edited by Wingman

Thanks all for the advice. Seems clear my next steps :).

I was looking at starting with a Lamber 12g over and under to begin with, as with a new family and home I haven't unfortunately got the best part of £1000 to buy a Beretta, Browning or Miroku.

Hi all,

Nice to meet you all.

No no no. With your amount of knowledge/ experience Go to a Dealer.

To buy at an auction is a hell of a gamble inless uou have a vast amount of experience in apprasing gun condition and values..

You cpild end up overpaying, with something that is as ssid earlier not much better than sctap iron or worst still dangerous.

I would never advise buying your first gun at auction. There is some real junk in auctions and on the outside some of them might look like perfectly functional guns without the right equipment and knowledge you can easily end up paying over the odds for something that has been butchered. There is an endless list of potential pitfalls you might find, to sell a gun the auction house has only to ensure the guns in proof, but proof is not a full assessment of the guns "health" and different auction houses have a variety of amount of descriptions and terminology they use.

Look at the catalogue h&s statement at the start of shotguns "All shotguns have been checked to ensure they are in proof, they have not been checked for mechanical or other faults."

I've seen some cock ups out of there a 410 that was a 9mm rifles with no calibre etc. The listings are very short ie make sometimes model or chokes and serial number. If you want help I'm not far away and have some bits in that may help, no pups either.