Ruger 10/22 owners,some advice please.

sako751sg

Got sorted with rifle and scope,and now looking for any mods to improve reliability hopefully.

Have ordered a new trigger unit,complete with better mag release and bolt release but wondering if the claw or any bolt mods would be worth while.

With a full mag of ten the first one or two empties dont eject but after that its fine so any advice on that appreciated too.

002_zpsrusszqaf.jpg

003_zpsemg2g9fw.jpg

Hi

It may be worth stripping the magazines out too and cleaning them before reassembling.

Seem to recall seeing somewhere 'servicing kits' - whatever they are/include for the magazines - probably US-side.....

L

Drop in jard trigger is the best easy option for the trigger. Brownells probably your best bet.

The magazines in my experience can be a pain keep them clean, there could well be an aftermarket improved mag available rimfie magic or SYSS could have other mag options.

Cheers for all the advice fella.

As said i have a trigger on the way from Rimfire Magic and will def give the mags a wee bit TLC and see if that cures the issue with the first 1-2 rounds.

Will have a session after that and then maybe see about the bolt buffer and claw as ive seen that mentioned a couple of times.

I know what you mean Kalahari, i personaly have an old BRNO 452, it gets me by ok for a few rabbits and a bit of sport,, but if you want a semi auto the 1022 and similarly the remington 597 can be taylored to more or less become anyting you want them to be, just by sticking your hand in your pocket.

Thats the great thing about them, you can buy 100 quids worth of plain jane 1022 and keep on modifying it beyond recognition and make it perform as good as any 22 out there.

They are a tempting toy 1022s but for me i dare not buy one, i can see how simply i could spend a couple of grand on one if i got caried away, then i would be carried away in a box if her indoors found out. :lol:

No stick gto the old clunker 452 for me. ;)

was gonna go down 10/22 route but after reading up alot seems like they needed lots of fettling to shoot right so bought cz 512 semi dispite trigger pull being tad heavy for my liking straight out box put 5 rounds in 1" bull at 50 yardsand never had fail to eject yet after couple hundred eleys through it

Drop in jard trigger is the best easy option for the trigger. Brownells probably your best bet.

The magazines in my experience can be a pain keep them clean, there could well be an aftermarket improved mag available rimfie magic or SYSS could have other mag options.

I've got a Jard 2.5 pound trigger group coming from Brownells,they have them on special at the moment.My current trigger has been worked on which improved my scores hopefully the jard will continue that.

Cheers for the other comments too fellas.

Have a variety of ammo to try and will see what she eats best.

The trigger unit,extended bolt release,auto bolt release,extended bolt,buffer pin and titanium claw has totaled around £130 so its not major money to transform the workings.

Many moons ago when I still lived in the Kalahari a semi 22 was our rifle of choice for snakes. (I can tell you if you didn't do a job on snakes they could do a job on you) Rifle FN Browning SA22. When I say reliable I mean reliable and quite accurate enough for a fairly narrow moving snake. QED.

David.

I love my 1022 (purchased from a fellow Pw member)

Has a Volquartsen 12.5 inch barrel with VQ firing pin, extractor and VQ trigger. The aftermarket extractor is superb and it cycles v well. Likes CCI and Fiocci ammo. My old 1022 likes Winchester! Don't bother buying RWS subs as neither of mine cycle them at all!

Rifle looks superb btw- seriously smart bit of kit!

I love my 1022 (purchased from a fellow Pw member)

Has a Volquartsen 12.5 inch barrel with VQ firing pin, extractor and VQ trigger. The aftermarket extractor is superb and it cycles v well. Likes CCI and Fiocci ammo. My old 1022 likes Winchester! Don't bother buying RWS subs as neither of mine cycle them at all!

Rifle looks superb btw- seriously smart bit of kit!

Cheers fella.

Im pretty sure i PMd Rangey to say if you didnt take it i would,but happy with what i have now.

Out of interest,have you grouped out to 100ish and how did you get on?

was gonna go down 10/22 route but after reading up alot seems like they needed lots of fettling to shoot right so bought cz 512 semi dispite trigger pull being tad heavy for my liking straight out box put 5 rounds in 1" bull at 50 yardsand never had fail to eject yet after couple hundred eleys through it

hello, i have the 455 changed the trigger spring and shoots much better, middle spring of 3 in magic kit.

Cheers fella.

Im pretty sure i PMd Rangey to say if you didnt take it i would,but happy with what i have now.

Out of interest,have you grouped out to 100ish and how did you get on?

Ah sorry! :) He got quite a few PMs apparently- glad you got a nice one though! I've only shot on paper at 50 yards but it was doing 5p size groupings which I was try impressed with. I'll get it out again at the weekend and try some longer stuff- did shoot a few at 100 yards just to see the drop and they sounded like they took a while to get there! Will report back when I've shot some groups

Ah sorry! :) He got quite a few PMs apparently- glad you got a nice one though! I've only shot on paper at 50 yards but it was doing 5p size groupings which I was try impressed with. I'll get it out again at the weekend and try some longer stuff- did shoot a few at 100 yards just to see the drop and they sounded like they took a while to get there! Will report back when I've shot some groups

Good stuff.

Must commend Rimfire Magic for some outstanding service.Claw and buffer came this morning and were a doddle to fit so thats the end of the mods for now.

Hopefully get out later today and see how she groups,

Hey Bud

If allowed Ruger makes a BX 25 mag that is pretty flawless, I personally dislike the standard rotary design. With a Green Mountain barrel and decent trigger the Ruger will shoot with some of the better target rifles. I have seen a few that would shoot moa to 100 yds..

Hey Bud

If allowed Ruger makes a BX 25 mag that is pretty flawless, I personally dislike the standard rotary design. With a Green Mountain barrel and decent trigger the Ruger will shoot with some of the better target rifles. I have seen a few that would shoot moa to 100 yds..

Cheers Timothy,hope all is good fella.

I think all the BX listed stuff is a big improvement from the standard so will look into that.

I have 2 standard rotaries and put a few magazines through the rifle on Saturday and with Eley Edge ammo it performed pretty well,and was grouping around an inch at 70m with a gusting wind so when the bipod arrives ill give it a better testing hopefully.

I had a 10/22 around 15 years ago and that wasnt bad for accuracy as standard so this should be spot on,although we both know the rifle many times can outperform the man behind the trigger.