Plantar Fasciitis

Scully

Had this in both heels many years ago and was given a ankle type support from the NHS which had air pockets in the achilles and instep sections. The two sections were connected and as you planted your heel air was pushed via tubes into the chiles section; when the foot bent air was pushed back into the heel section before it was put down.

They were brilliant and I wore them out but by then the ailment was gone. It's back. Found what I wanted online but as I clicked on the link it stated they were no longer available!

GP can't help (NHS no longer do them apparently) Boots the chemist can't help and the web is simply full of pads, gel pads, supports etc all claiming to cure the ailment. Why something which works is no longer available is beyond me, but there you go.

I have a list of physio' to do on a daily basis but rest is something I can't do; I'm a timber framer and on my feet all day everyday.

Can anyone recommend anything which works?

In the evenings, sit with a towel on the floor under your foot. Try picking it up using your toes. Five minutes per foot.

That was told to be by an osteopath when I was having lots of pain with longer runs. These days I'm doing up to half marathon with no problems.

I sympathise greatly, it is a rotten condition. I don't suffer from PF but do have similar pain with arthritis.

The good thing is that doing physio' exercises and having appropriate supportive footwear will make the difference for you.

Go to a really good hill walking shop where they properly understand appropriate footwear and see if you can get 'Footbed' insoles or similar from them. May cost a few quid, but i'm sure that right now you would be happy to drop a load of cash for the sake of comfortable and pain free feet.

got it in my right heel, agony in the morning until i get going, been in the paper making industry for the last 38 yrs lots of time on my feet, luckily I have been relegated to the office so it has relieved the situation slightly, but at weekends if I overdo out with the dog, shooting etc cant put any weight on my right foot too much by the evening

Try a pack of small cheap sponges the ones you can buy 10 for a pound small oblong ones with a rough side.Put one or two in the heel of your footwear rough side down so they will not slip When padded just replace them.It worked for me the very painful injections were no good at all

ok guys could somebody please explain what this condition is as I think I may be suffering with something similar myself as my right heel is really painful when I walk/put weight on it.

I thought it was just because I was overweight and getting old :lol:

Mine is exactly the same symptoms as Wooder above , this time round. I only have it in my right heel ( but now and then the ball of my right foot is affected ) and of a weekend it usually quietens down but flares up within an hour of getting to work. There was a time when it would subside when resting at lunchtimes but the first few steps after getting back on my feet were miserable, now it's just misery permanently. So if your symptoms are intense pain on first standing and walking, which then subsides, chances are it's PF. It's very common.

I'm going to try all the physio' and buy all the insoles suggested above; something may work. I've been doing the golf ball thing for a while now and it does help a little.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions folks. :good:

My GP referred me to a Conultant at the local hospital. He took a piccie of my heel to identify the trouble spot which identified where he would accurately put the needle. No idea what he injected in to the problem area. But have been problem free ever since.

Ok, I think the most common cause is this:

There are three arches in the foot,medial lateral and transverse. Imagine a 2d shape like a suspension bridge, the ends are tied together by a tie rope/cable. If the bridge fails and one end starts to slip away the cable will stretch.

In the foot the plantar fascia attaches to the heel and spreads out like a triangle shape and connects to the ball of the foot.

If you get fat, or old or stand all day the ligament fatigues,your arches start to drop and it pulls at the attachments making them inflamed. It's the process of stretch that causes the issue, once your arches are dropped and its fully stretched it should go pain free again. Being born with flat feet you wouldn't get it. Saying ' I have really high arches' doesn't matter, if they dropped a bit it's still gonna happen.

As a consequence the heel bone may grow towards the toes in a spur to shorten the length, if that happens every time you put your foot down the spur digs in to the soft tissue and it hurts.

Solution:

Loose weight

Wear arch supports to correct,this will take the stress out of the ligament,I use trio medial arch supports( no connection to me)

Use an ice pack or nsaids gel where it's inflamed

Use a heel spur cushion if you have a spur,wear in both shoes so you don't give yourself one longer leg and mess your back up.

Trying to rebuild the muscles in the sole of the foot to support the bridge is futile.

Rolling on a golf ball,tennis ball will help break down the fascia,it will help,it may also make your foot sore,it will increase the speed of it stretching out.it is not a long term solution.

Once the foot has dropped,it alters foot function which will increase mid foot wear and tear,also alter knee hip and low back mechanics.

So get some arch supports,and make sure they are strong ones,standing on foam is useless.

I hope that may help someone.

Mine is exactly the same symptoms as Wooder above , this time round. I only have it in my right heel ( but now and then the ball of my right foot is affected ) and of a weekend it usually quietens down but flares up within an hour of getting to work. There was a time when it would subside when resting at lunchtimes but the first few steps after getting back on my feet were miserable, now it's just misery permanently. So if your symptoms are intense pain on first standing and walking, which then subsides, chances are it's PF. It's very common.

I'm going to try all the physio' and buy all the insoles suggested above; something may work. I've been doing the golf ball thing for a while now and it does help a little.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions folks. :good:

cheers scully,the symptoms sound the same,diet time now me thinks.

cheers scully,the symptoms sound the same,diet time now me thinks.

You're welcome, but bear in mind I'm not overweight, and a bloke who gave me some leaflets regarding PF he had been given by his physio', is a superfit retired copper who is a fell runner.

You're welcome, but bear in mind I'm not overweight, and a bloke who gave me some leaflets regarding PF he had been given by his physio', is a superfit retired copper who is a fell runner.

Very true a middle aged friend of ours is not an ounce overweight but he is on his feet all day for his job.

Yup, been there. PF & associated heel-spurs.

Go to a private Podiatrist. There's loads about. They treat this condition day in day out. Most likely they will put some marker insoles in your shoes and get you to walk up & down a bit. This leaves an impression of where your feet press & don't press. From this & a few measurements they will make you up a pair of orthotic inserts (arch support innersoles) UNIQUE & MADE TO MEASURE FOR YOUR OWN FEET. The difference between these and the off-the-shelf ones you buy in Boots is like chalk & cheese. They hurt quite a bit the first couple of days because they are deliberately very firm and your arch is already inflamed, but your feet very soon adjust and once they are properly supported the job's a good'un.

Figure on £30-£40 for the initial consultation and around £75 for the inserts once made. I wear mine all day every day and swap them over when I change shoes. Takes seconds. I usually get around 2 years wear per pair before I need to order up a new set from my existing pattern.

And yes, if it applies to you,losing weight also really helps, but skinny beggars get PF too!

Edited by Longchalk

incidentally its sometimes called "policeman's heel"

I suffered alot from this when i use to play rugby and cricket, my cricket coach also had it and advised me against the operation as he had it only worked for about 4 years then came back worse than before, his advise was some really good running trainers, it worked for me the only time i get the pains now are when i were normal boots, most comfortable ones i've found are Asics GT range I can be on my feet all day and no pain with them.

Day two of the Scholl Orthotic insoles and have to say pain is greatly reduced. Still there but much more manageable which means a faster recovery rate when back home and resting.

Don't know whether to buy another pair or try something different in the hope of even more improvement.

Yep got this in my right foot. Went to GP and she said "take ibuprofen". So I did. Then I read its a condition that can last for years so that was brilliant advice(!) Then went to a sports massage therapist and had an hours intense treatment that consisted of deep tissue massage (now THAT hurt!), infra red massage and electro-shock treatment! Cut the pain from being virtually unable to walk to a dull ache with occasional twings. Since then I've just been rolling a cold hard ball under my foot any time it flares up and I have orthopedic inserts in all of my shoes/boots. I was thinking of going back to the sports therapist bloke to see if another treatment will help more but I think i'll try to get an appointment with a podiatrist.

Edited by Breastman

give it a couple of weeks scully and wear them as often as you can I think the condition comes on because the lack of support in the arch of you foot so the more you wear them the quicker the relief comes just my 9 peneth good luck with it mate but it will get a lot better the more you wear them