Long Stock Shotgun.

RockySpears

Been looking a getting a standard shotgun, over-under, side-by-side, wha ever, but do not really want an all black polymer thing. Wood and metalwork.

Turns out I need around a 16" stock, and the place nearest me had nothing that length, or cheaply extendable (even a sliding stock, tactical type, was not long enough).

Not wanting to spend a fortune, fine with 2nd hand, just smashing clays for now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

RS

Off the shelf o/u tend to be around 14 1/2" lop length, Browning, Miroku, and my Ceaser are 15" stocks as standard. For a longer lop you could see if they have a movable trigger my browning has, which could give you another 1/8" if lucky.

You can buy several options, a slip on butt extension pad, a thicker standard butt pad, beretta's have about 4 different thickness ones you can get. Other options could be fit a butt spacer shim that fits between the butt pad and stock, may not be available for all makes of gun. That leaves the option of having a extension piece made or fit something like a gracol recoil pad that could make the stock longer.

Thanks for all the hints:

Emma rifles is where I went for fit. I know 14 1/2 is way short as I have to bend my wrist a hell of a lot to reach back to the trigger.

I do not mind if a SbS is what works for me, will pay extra attention.

Looking more like a pad or really thick shirt.

Cheers,

RS

I have fitted a Bisley adjustable pad to a Browning stock which had been shortened. The alloy part of the device adds around 1/2" and you can screw on / glue a recoil pad of the chosen thickness. DIY job for around £25 and about half an hour of your time.

Thanks for all the hints:

Emma rifles is where I went for fit. I know 14 1/2 is way short as I have to bend my wrist a hell of a lot to reach back to the trigger.

I do not mind if a SbS is what works for me, will pay extra attention.

Looking more like a pad or really thick shirt.

Cheers,

RS

You may not mind a SbS but if the measurements are for an OU they are no use on a SBS.

Did you have a gun fit or a salesmanship look see?

You may not mind a SbS but if the measurements are for an OU they are no use on a SBS.

Did you have a gun fit or a salesmanship look see?

No, not a sales man, Robin is more "Old School" than that. However,no mention of a difference between OU and SbS, why would they be different? Mounting the gun so your eye is looking at the aim point, not too low or too high, cast left or right is what you are after is it not?

A comfortable wrist position is a comfortable wrist position. No?

Old F. If my arms are longer, does not that compensate for where the center of gravity is with respect to my body?

I can see that getting a good Fit and Balance is possibly more intricate than it might at first seem. Looks like a whole world of compromises. :/

Thanks all,

RS

No, not a sales man, Robin is more "Old School" than that. However,no mention of a difference between OU and SbS, why would they be different? Mounting the gun so your eye is looking at the aim point, not too low or too high, cast left or right is what you are after is it not?

RS

It is so straight handed stock pow grip full pistol grips etc all make that wrist position very different and is one of the things the affects the lop measurement amongst other.

So I'm 6'4" 17 and abit stone I shoot a 15 3/8" lop on a full pistol grip OU my straight hand Sbs is 16" big difference.

Old F. If my arms are longer, does not that compensate for where the center of gravity is with respect to my body?

I can see that getting a good Fit and Balance is possibly more intricate than it might at first seem. Looks like a whole world of compromises. :/

Thanks all,

RS

Sorry I was talking about the gun Ballance not your arm length

The triggers will be in the same place adding to the stock can increase the weight at the back and affect the handling of the gun

Anyway you'll work it out in time 🤔

I went with a fabarm axis with 32" barrles and then added a Jim spalding recoil system I ended up about 16.5" then Nigel Teague cast the stock to fit.

The extra length on the barrels have balanced the looks and the handling of the shotgun.

Just a shame I stil can't hit the target

My son is 6ft 4in tall with a length of pull of 15.5"..

He wanted one of my Win 101s but lop is only a shade over 14" with the plastic buttplate removed

Solved it by fitting a Cervellati recoil pad which extended the length by 32mm (1& 3/8")

These are very very lightweight and soak up recoil well , cost only £20

Purchased here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cervellati-Soft-Microcell-Rifle-Shotgun-Patent-Rubber-Heel-Pad-32mm-Brown-/390762926060?hash=item5afb490fec:m:mXuSmMw5q4p85fKKxGNQ7Kg

With a stock of 14.5" lop this will give you around 16"

Edited by TDS

Thanks TDS,

I have gotten a Bisley, rubber extension on my Winchester now and this is self fixing on the stock with a tight rubber slip. Not quit the 32mm you get, but better than it was.

I need to get my stock sawn flat to fit that one, but might be worth it for the extra length,

Cheers,

RS

I'm 6'3" tall and of a large build and my stock is 14 3/4" I had it longer but kept snagging it on my vest. Your stance has a lot to do with lop too.

I would try a few spacers between the stock and pad and see just how long you actually need it when shooting it.

Only one friend who is same height but of a smaller build has a longer stock but just over 15".

You can get adjustable pads that adjust for lop but will cost more than a walnut extension.