Transferring shotguns to my ticket from someone in care...

Hi all,

Just wanted to pick your brains if possible. My brother in laws girlfriends father is a shotgun licence holder but has finally been taken into care as he has a debilitating mental illness he isn't going to recover from.'Girlfriend ' has lasting power of attorney over him now and is looking to sell the house to pay for the best care possible. When sorting things out she found his cabinet in the loft and eventually the keys. She doesn't have a licence or know anybody that does apart from me.

I have agreed to put them on my licence on long term storage/ loan etc. I don't know as yet what they are or how many yet. They have found his licence this afternoon and it actually runs out today.

My main question though, can she sign them over to me herself off his licence if she has full power of lasting attorney? I've been away from a phone signal today so missed her calls until I got back too late to call my fao to check.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know is the honest answer.

However, if I was the girlfriends position with power of attorney in the circumstances you mention I would happily sign them onto your certificate and notify the certificate holders COP of the transfer and enclose a letter stating the circumstances as to why I had completed the transaction. I would also enclose the now,out of date certificate.

The police will be happy that the guns are now safe with a certificate holder.

I don't know is the honest answer.

However, if I was the girlfriends position with power of attorney in the circumstances you mention I would happily sign them onto your certificate and notify the certificate holders COP of the transfer and enclose a letter stating the circumstances as to why I had completed the transaction. I would also enclose the now,out of date certificate.

The police will be happy that the guns are now safe with a certificate holder.

cheers Charlie. Pretty much what I was planning on doing. I don't know anybody who's been in a similar position so thought I'd ask on here. Thanks again for the prompt reply.

In terms of actual property - as she has power of attorney - she can dispose of assets, but she is not the licence holder.

Ring your local Firearms Department and get proper advice.

her not been the licence holder is what had me wondering too Gordon. The issue we have is the licence runs out today and I only got asked after my local department was closed for the day. I'll give them a call first thing tomorrow though but don't want her to have the shotgun/s confiscated or incur a fine either way if possible. Cheers.

Wots he got

no idea as yet. It's an excellent excuse though to buy a second cabinet for myself though as explain to the missus its for storage. ;)

72 hour rule & sort it out with the Police tomorrow

Make sure that with her Power of Attorney the g/f surrenders the expired SGC to the Police - stating that the guns are now in your possession

You can then decide is they will stay on your SGC until otherwise disposed of, or you can take them to an RFD for commission sale, etc.

Depending on what they are they may be of interest to some on here & you may get a better price than off an RFD outright

ETA: and a rough geographical location would help as even the safe will be of interest....

Edited by saddler

I was in a similar situation after a friend died.

I contacted Essex licensing and their main concern was that I should take possession asap so the guns were with a license holder. I was asked to write in enclosing my SGC and they added the guns to my license.

The police are not interested in who owns or is legally entitled to the guns; the priority is that the gun(s) are with a license holder.

I was in a similar situation after a friend died.

I contacted Essex licensing and their main concern was that I should take possession asap so the guns were with a license holder. I was asked to write in enclosing my SGC and they added the guns to my license.

The police are not interested in who owns or is legally entitled to the guns; the priority is that the gun(s) are with a license holder.

Good advice.

I have done very similar, the gun was in a ticket holders possession for years before I was given it to sort out. The police were quite happy to just write it down as being mine and they would change my ticket when it suited.

Edited by 39TDS

Thanks for all the replies.

None of the shotguns are for sale nor the cabinet etc. All will be passed to her son for his 18th birthday as he was very close to his grandad. In the meantime she is sorting out a shotgun licence once everything else is in order with the house and his care.

I also have an update regarding the situation.

This comes direct from the police too.

She has to enter the details of his shotguns on my licence as on long term loan. I fill in his feet as loaned over too. She then needs to return his licence back to the firearms team and details / copy of her lasting power of attorney certificate. We both then need to write in to the police stating why they have changed hands and why he hasn't been able to do so. With my covering letter I need to send in a stamped return addressed envelope and the actual power of attorney certificate. Once they have that and all the details they will return the certificate asap.

I have taken possession of 3 shotguns in total. None that I know of by name. An alpha single shot. An unknown .410 and a marrow sbs 12g. Sadly all are suffering from some neglect so I've offered to do my best to restore them to their former condition as best as possible.

Thanks for all the comments. Hope the info helps someone else out in the future should they happen across similar circumstances.

Change them onto your licence, and hand in expired licence to which ever force is involved..

One point, Depends how many there are,!,,as Alarms would be required after about 8/9 guns..

Not directly of interest to the thread, but NO

The wording of the current Guidance to Police document states, to paraphrase it "the number of firearms held is not sufficient grounds to require an alarm"

norfolk police were absolutely brilliant when my father committed suicide a few years ago. one of the officers who attended asked if i was a certificate holder, we found the cabinet keys, he took all my details the gun details and transferred them to me, i took all the guns apart from the one he had used.this happened on a saturday and i had a new certificate with his guns on it through the post on the wednesday.

norfolk police were absolutely brilliant when my father committed suicide a few years ago. one of the officers who attended asked if i was a certificate holder, we found the cabinet keys, he took all my details the gun details and transferred them to me, i took all the guns apart from the one he had used.this happened on a saturday and i had a new certificate with his guns on it through the post on the wednesday.

Once again Norfolk is Tops for Licensing,They ought to give some pointers to other Forces.

If you get the right people onboard it can be of benefit to not only themselves but to the shooting community as well..

I have known a couple of instances where the fao has accompanied relatives to a rfd to dispose/sell guns after a bereavement and another where the fao came to the home and transfered the guns onto a friend of the families certificate.its not a big deal quite simple really.

I have known a couple of instances where the fao has accompanied relatives to a rfd to dispose/sell guns after a bereavement and another where the fao came to the home and transfered the guns onto a friend of the families certificate.its not a big deal quite simple really.

The most common, recommended and preferred way forward is for the relative to apply for a S7 permit which enables them to lawfully hold and dispose of the firearms in their own time.

The most common, recommended and preferred way forward is for the relative to apply for a S7 permit which enables them to lawfully hold and dispose of the firearms in their own time.

Correct or an RFD can take them in an sign them on to another SGC if he likes you he'll do it for free.