TV detector vans to invade your WiFi Privacy

huntsman

Due to the number of Tv Licence evaders

Consumers are concerened that the detector vans can snoop on internet usage
I am not in favour of such an abuse of power the BBc do not have the right to snoop on what internet usage you have,albeit an excuse to invade hyour privacy.
I will be using a protection on my router to prevent such activity
How dare the tv Licensing bring in this type of snooping powers,I am well peed off
The vehicles will go out on the roads next month to ensure people using the BBC's online catch-up service also have a TV license.

Under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, the corporation is entitled to carry out surveillance of suspected licence-fee dodgers.

The BBC would not disclose how the new technology works. The report states that it has ruled out combing its own records of computers that have logged on to the iPlayer website to catch fee-dodgers.

A BBC spokesman said: 'There has been considerable inaccurate reporting this weekend about how TV Licensing will detect people breaking the law by watching BBC iPlayer without a licence.

'While we don't discuss the details of how detection works for obvious reasons, it is wrong to suggest that our technology involves capturing data from private wi-fi networks.'

Edited by huntsman

They will just check who hasn't got a licence, same as they always did. How on earth could they see what someone was or wasn't viewing on their wifi?

Detector vans never existed. or if they did they were ex post office vans with a coat hanger stuck on the roof.

Edited by walshie

They will just check who hasn't got a licence, same as they always did. How on earth could they see what someone was or wasn't viewing on their wifi?

Detector vans never existed. or if they did they we ex post office vans with a coat hanger stuck on the roof.

Is that true? :) you have just shattered a childhood myth :lol:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. BUT they used to be able to see what you were doing in your front room. AND I bet that some front rooms were more interesting than other front rooms. It is strange that some clever dickie comes across with all of this clap trap. Stil there are plenty of clods out there that do believe. Now if it were to be printed along side the zombie stories in the sunday sport it might be a bit more beliveable.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. BUT they used to be able to see what you were doing in your front room. AND I bet that some front rooms were more interesting than other front rooms. It is strange that some clever dickie comes across with all of this clap trap. Still there are plenty of clods out there that do believe. Now if it were to be printed along side the zombie stories in the sunday sport it might be a bit more believable.

Yes they'll be the ones who downloaded an app to waterproof their iphones.

I thought when you bought a telly,the company notified the authorities.

Job done.

Another myth started by the BBC. Why would they? You might be buying the TV for someone else who already has a TV licence. If that was the case everyone would buy their tvs from ebay.

The very fact that they write to "the occupier" proves that don't know anything about you.

It's very likely the contractor who was paid to harrass people who do not have a licence who's decided to invent a new 'technology' to stay on the contract.

I've got piles and piles of the rackettting letters; but since I genuinely don't own a TV, I just ignore them.

I /used/ to use iPlayer a bit, bit that has stopped a while back, and I'm now even replacing the BBC website as it's mostly trying to emulate the dailymail one anyway.

Oh, and "ethernet"...

Edited by buze