Which ear plugs?

ChrisPCarter

I don't mind spending a bit of money on them as they are used all the time.

Forgot to say I would like digital / active ones.

Am I better getting ones moulded to my ears or doesn't it make much difference?

I shoot clays, game and pigeon.

i have these http://censdigital.com/proflex_earplugs.html

And they work great and I can up grade when funds allow

I bought a set of the Napier Pro10 plugs last week and used them yesterday. I have to say I think there possibly one of the best hearing defenders I have used. Really lightweight and easy to hold a conversation when wearing them,

Worth a look mate for sure...

I bought some Hermes digital moulded earplugs from Mercury Hearing at a shooting show. http://www.mercuryhearing.com/products/shooting-ear-plugs/

I like them.. the only b@ll@che was the 6 weeks wait for them to arrive. They were up for £375 a set but a bit of bartering got it down to 350 and a set of motorsport plugs for my motorbike which should have been 95 a set so all in all it was a decent deal.

My 2 mates got them too and as I pestered them the most I got delivery first. They are always at shows so getting in touch on the phone isn't the easiest probably because they are always at shows and family business means they are all there I bet but I found facebook messenger got a fast reply.

Ears never stop growing until you're dead (or they have been cut off haha) so if after a few years they become slack all you need to do is get them to make more moulds and you can reuse the electronics they you already have!

I like em anyway but I didn't like the wait.

I have EMT passives - and have found them so good that I have never felt I needed an active - with all the hassle of batteries etc.

If you buy CENS passives, I understand you can add the active 'bit' later if you feel so inclined. Batteries - once activated have limited life and are not particularly cheap.

Are the passive themselves any good? I have 'active' muffs already, and I've realized that actually it's better to turn them /off/ when shooting, to help concentration... so I'm pondering getting in-ear passive as well...

the Sugru approach is my favourite at the minute, but I'd be happy to pick something already made, if it's not too £££

Hmmm just seen how much the top Cens ones are - more than I was expecting! I was more thinking of a couple of hundred quid.

After reading the comments though, I'm now wondering if I really need active ones as it's only really when shooting trap that I'll need them and as some have said it might be better for concentration just having passive ones.

Then I can just use my current SportTac's for everything else.

They keep my ears warm in winter!

for ear plugs, do not think there is better than the CENS Proflex Digital, battery life is just like my hearing aids, batteries are cheap on the 'bay as well, but still using the ones supplied with mine, 2 years now.

as a comparison also use the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X electronic ear muffs, for me the weather rules which I use, warm its the CENS, cold its the Sordin,

get the CENS, well worth the money

I have the Cens digital and passive ones, they are very good but expensive, the passive ones aren't expensive considering they're custom made and very comfortable. Yorkshire Shooting Services are the agent local to you, nice fella called Nigel Hirst, he's based at Pateley Bridge.

I have the Cens digital and passive ones, they are very good but expensive, the passive ones aren't expensive considering they're custom made and very comfortable. Yorkshire Shooting Services are the agent local to you, nice fella called Nigel Hirst, he's based at Pateley Bridge.

Hi Steve, I actually learned to shoot with Nigel!

I didn't know he was an agent, I'll give him a call.

He gets my thumbs up if anyone needs instruction or introductory lessons, he really helped me when I was starting out.

I think I'm going to get some passive ones and carry on with my SportTac's when I can.

I'm having trouble finding some of the other brands mentioned online.

The EMT/Emtec passives I have allow normal conversation just fine under most circumstances and I rarely notice I have them in. I believe EMT/Emtec and CENS passives are very similar in performance - and I would highly recommend this type. If I was buying again - I would go for a passive again, but one with the option to upgrade to actives.

I have MSA Sordins for when I am not shooting, but standing with others who are. They are excellent for that, but don't work for me mounting a gun.