Wildfowling - Season 2016/17

Wildfowler12

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out again this morning for a tide flight , that's 3 Mondays on the trot I have had some birds and yet each has been in very different weather conditions. . The first was in flat calm and fog and yielded 10 duck, the second in a strong north wind and bright sunshine and yielded 12 birds between two of us and this morning in a light south wind and rain produced 3 wigeon and 2 teal. Today however there were a lot fewer duck about . The number of wigeon and teal seen on the first two days was in the thousands , but today I only saw about 50 duck. We have had a lot of rain in the last few days and yesterday while doing wildfowl counts I saw a lot of small bunches of wigeon coming off the sea very high and heading inland at midday so I would guess there must be some flooding\flashes inland now.

With the waining moon midweek its time to start to think about chasing the pinks now.

Edited by anser2

First flight of the season last night for me due to slight accident in September, felt well enough to swing a gun so thought I'd venture out, managed to get a Canada out of a bunch that crossed with the wind up there ****, was very pleased as I thought I would struggle with swinging the gun.

Not to bad to the start of the season so far I have had a couple of teal a hen wigeon and my first canada on a low water club Marsh

Next week off to the river tay and a morning on the stubble with montrose shooting breaks so looking desperately for my first pink

Good luck on your trip up north next week and I hope we will soon be reading about your first Pinkfoot. :good:

First flight of the season last night for me due to slight accident in September, felt well enough to swing a gun so thought I'd venture out, managed to get a Canada out of a bunch that crossed with the wind up there ****, was very pleased as I thought I would struggle with swinging the gun.

Glad your on the mend and well done on your Canada Goose :good:

A Canada and two mallard for me on Monday morning on the bit of ground I shoot in the Nene valley in Northants.

My young Lab bitch made her first retrieve on a goose, all 13lb 11oz of it and made a pretty good job of it.

In her first four trips she has found and picked a mallard on the Wash, six wigeon and a teal on and around a pond just inside the sea wall in Essex, including one that planned out into a ditch, a mallard on a lake at evening flight in the same fair county plus the goose and mallard in Northants. She is still a work in progress but certainly has game, well fowl finding ability.

Back up to Northants on Monday.

A Canada and two mallard for me on Monday morning on the bit of ground I shoot in the Nene valley in Northants.

My young Lab bitch made her first retrieve on a goose, all 13lb 11oz of it and made a pretty good job of it.

In her first four trips she has found and picked a mallard on the Wash, six wigeon and a teal on and around a pond just inside the sea wall in Essex, including one that planned out into a ditch, a mallard on a lake at evening flight in the same fair county plus the goose and mallard in Northants. She is still a work in progress but certainly has game, well fowl finding ability.

Back up to Northants on Monday.

Good news she is coming good.

iv had 3 flights at the Tay so far this year all have been successful, first outing we had a brace of mallard and 4 canadas,second flight produced 5 teal and the last 1 we had 6 duck including teal and wigeon, heading back out on Saturday so fingers crossed

Got up early Sat morning got to my closest marsh, had two wigeon, not a pair, there seems to be a few more birds banging about now. Going to start hitting the marshes more from now.

That's a bonny looking dog fal, similar to my old dog

Yeah my dog "oak" is the same but he's 10 yrs old now he still manages a couple of days a week at the beating or picking up but he's started to get cold really quickly when on the foreshore, I Put him over my bitch last year and have kept 2 pups out of him but there a bit young to try just yet

its not about numbers ,its about enjoying what you do,all these posts are either antis or dont get much shooting,

for me up here north of aberdeen a walk with the dogs in the morning can produce a bag of five geese,yes five,no more as i have to carry the things home,makes me laugh

Honestly, I don't think it's difficult to shoot a lot of geese. I've got no time for it. I always end up with roughly the same number at the end of each season. If I have a decent flight, I'll not go back out for them for several weeks. In my opinion, even leaving them in the freezer for all eternity doesn't count as using them. Thankfully most folk shoot in moderation and have self restraint. Edited by wildfowler.250

13 degrees the truck reckons the temp was this morning, and it has been raining all night.

Wildfowling on hold, we had proper frosts here last week, the weather is mad!!!

I got out the night before last, absolutely nothing about, saw one very late pack of widgeon but it was too late , they were out of range by the time I saw them.

Morning flight at Lindisfarne end of November,got shots at a pack of Wigeon in the half light and missed,then a bit later got 40 Pinks over the top and got this one,could have probably got another out of the skein but ones enough for me these days. IMG_1868.jpg

Nice one Jimjohn like your way of thinking

Did the little cocker retrieve it?

Morning flight at Lindisfarne end of November,got shots at a pack of Wigeon in the half light and missed,then a bit later got 40 Pinks over the top and got this one,could have probably got another out of the skein but ones enough for me these days. IMG_1868.jpg