Battery Drills and impact drivers

Jaymo

Milwaukee from now on here. Had dewalt, makita, Hilti all sorts. Dewalt was dire at holding a charge. Makita was good but the batteries don't last long enough and motors burn out. Hilti... Never again. 4 chargers, 3 batteries on one drill in 12 months. The Milwaukee gear I have now is fantastic. I have 6 X 5ah batteries all due to upgrade to 9ah soon. Serious gearboxes that power through anything I ask. The impact took the rusted wheel nuts off an old tractor and drive 100 thunderbolts a day in. Absolutely brilliant. Not a fan of the trigger on my grinder though but again, performs flawlessly.

French? Think the're based in Folkestone?

Yes they are- but I'm not.

In some instances it's cheaper to purchase in the UK and ship over rather than pay local prices ( depends on the exchange rate of course)

ITS have a Makita for £99 plus vat in special- not brushless though of course but I think I can live with that! Shame they don't do international delivery though

Edited by Jaymo

Yes they are- but I'm not.

In some instances it's cheaper to purchase in the UK and ship over rather than pay local prices ( depends on the exchange rate of course)

ITS have a Makita for £99 plus vat in special- not brushless though of course but I think I can live with that! Shame they don't do international delivery though

Ah ok. Does the ITS £99 have 1.2amp batteries?? B&Q are selling one for £99 with 2x 1.2amp batteries. These are not the standard Makitas and feel carp compared to normal Makitas and the batteries are unique to that model, wont fit anything else???

Sounds like marque to marque and model to model has some fairly significant variances.

Now thinking along the lines of purchasing locally so that's Bosch, Makita, AEG and a couple of other cheaper makes- that way it will be easier to deal with any returns that may occur.

Thankyou all for your input

Milwaukee from now on here. Had dewalt, makita, Hilti all sorts. Dewalt was dire at holding a charge. Makita was good but the batteries don't last long enough and motors burn out. Hilti... Never again. 4 chargers, 3 batteries on one drill in 12 months. The Milwaukee gear I have now is fantastic. I have 6 X 5ah batteries all due to upgrade to 9ah soon. Serious gearboxes that power through anything I ask. The impact took the rusted wheel nuts off an old tractor and drive 100 thunderbolts a day in. Absolutely brilliant. Not a fan of the trigger on my grinder though but again, performs flawlessly.

Got to admit being really impressed by Milwaukee.

I am a tradesman and use Ryobi one its never let me down,combi drill,impact driver,radio,jigsaw all of them with 4ah batts and fast charge will do anything effortlessly ,must admit the smaller batts are a waste of time,would recommend Ryobi all day and used it for 16 years ish

Vampire

That's good to know as in my opening post I said they have an offer on them here at the moment - some goody bags and money back sort of thing.

Doing a week in the UK as of tomorrow so will scout about, although I do have to fit it in around my Bisley visits- have s new toy to 'run in'

Vampire

That's good to know as in my opening post I said they have an offer on them here at the moment - some goody bags and money back sort of thing.

Doing a week in the UK as of tomorrow so will scout about, although I do have to fit it in around my Bisley visits- have s new toy to 'run in'

Jaymo,make sure its 18v and pay the extra for big 4ah batteries makes huge difference to performance/life,but honestly don't be afraid of buying Ryobi I have never had a bad one or been able to destruct any of their tools.

I bought a second hand cordless DeWalt drill about 5 years ago - it was used. It is still going strong.

I bought two Ryobi cordless drills, brand new, a couple of years ago. I should have taken them back under warranty, but didn't - batteries are useless. Charge them up and charge lasts a couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...

Took Vampires advice and plumped for the One+ from Ryobi, seemed the best compromise with availability/price here.

Went a bit overboard,

Drill

1/2" impact wrench

115mm angle grinder

SDS drill/ chisel

Two batts and charger.

So far have used just the drill and angle grinder- well give me a chance as only purchased them this afternoon.

Thanks one and all for their input

Since the thread started, I have bought both.

Got an Einhell 18v cordless drill - li-ion batteries. Used it sinking a few holes in concrete and steel today, at son's house. Very impressed - it drilled more than a 24v drill owned by my son's brother in law. He said he was going to buy one.

I bought a DeWalt cordless brushless impact wrench last week. 18v L-ion - 1625nm of breakaway torque. Tried it on a couple of wheel nuts, on lower setting. Whipped the nuts off - no problem.

ryobi stuff is rubbish...........mate has 3 defunct drills......drills are fine the batteries are utter rubbish........

i have a lot of ryobi petrol and electric cable stuff ..and have no probs with them at all ...their cordless stuff is yet to impress me...

Yes I found this too...the power packs don't seem to last very long.