Treat me gently....

ditchman

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mind you ,, the mods are letting this daft thread continue,,, I wonder why,,,,

Broadly speaking, it's because:

1. We dont sit on the airgun section 24/7 making sure threads remain suitably deadly serious. If you do, and you feel they arent, use the report button and we will decide whether or not you have a point.

2. If we remove threads as soon as people start having a bit of a laugh, we get accused of being fascists. We try to let them run in the hope they will get back on topic, which this still may do. It's much less bother on a Saturday night to just let you insinuate that we are all rubber fetishists or whatever point it was you were trying to make.

Lastly, if you think PW is full of sickos and has gone to the dogs, bear in mind that nobody is asking you to use it if you dont want to.

Just to add, I have also been a silent follower of this thread and am looking forwards to the groupings results you achieve.

i will get out this afternoon and see what difference the different pellets make and report back...maybe with pic's (if the results are reasonable :lol: )

EVO......i have read your thread...about your venture into competertive shooting ...and i really truly admire the dedication...and persistance and skill ...and the equipment needed and the grappeling with facts and figures...you need , to even compete sensibly at that disciplne....what you have acheived is something i could never acheive ...as i havnt the single mindness, that is needed for that sport............

my sport comes from a different background....when i was a little fella i was an only child in the depths of the country...and my 3 best friends were

1. my catapult
  2. my air rifle
  3. my fishing rod

i could spend all day out with the air rifle and a handfull of slugs 10 number 6 a packet of swan vesta's bubble gun...i would roam the farms drinking from known springs...and check my snares and shoot stuff..................then around my 16th birthday...the world invented sex !!!....and i havnt touched an air rifle since....until now........

the thread i started is a venture into the rediscovery of something that i lost ...a long while ago..........i try to make the posts fun, and include a lot of loose banter...as when i am pigeon shooting i prefer to shoot 2 to a hide...cause i know i will spend the day laughing...and shooting...........

if i was born a 100 years ago...i would have been a tinker...mending bits and pieces pots pans scissors...knives.........i share my days with people on this forum, cause i know the world is full of itinerent fiddlers...(my son in law bought a electric drill a while back ...and my daughter had to show him how to use it ....i rest my case)............

so accept there is a different side to air gunning and people that you know.......i will continue to read your posts as i find them imformitive and open my eyes to a discipline that some of us rarely see or understand..................

this thread is coming to an end soon...and if it has prompted a few people to rediscover the cheap excitement of airgunning....( or rubber goods :lol::lol: ) ....then good.... :good:

Edited by ditchman

THE LAST POST

THE gun you have been watching me rescue....was given to me....with the words..."the pellet falls out of the barrel if you can make it work ...you have a rat gun...if you cant throw it in the skip"

with the help and generosity of PW boys i now have a air rifle...that ...(when i was young i would have commited murder to get hold of) :lol: ......

im not the worlds greatest shot...but at 12 ---30metres i can head shoot a rabbit 10/10 times...and at 45-50 metres i can nail a magpie....i have tried 2 different designs of pellets ...both the same weight...one was a pointy end the other a domed end.....at 12---30metres there is no difference...but i suspect the pointy one will have better penertration......but at 45metres the pointy one ...the group starts to get ragged and fliers creep in.....

i will test different pellets in the coarse of time....but for now, im happy with my cracking re-built rifle

go on and take the plunge :good::good:

The ditch

post-11401-0-49376800-1474731346_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-79435300-1474731367_thumb.jpg

and the final pic.............

i would rubbish as a sniper...would end up shooting the wrong person in the wrong country........... :lol::lol::lol::good::good::good:

this was not bench rested...i put a small pad on the wing of the landrover to protect my poor old cracked skin on my elbows....i will have to (at some time ) do a bench test...

post-11401-0-79226200-1474731466_thumb.jpg

Edited by ditchman

and the final pic.............

i would rubbish as a sniper...would end up shooting the wrong person in the wrong country........... :lol::lol::lol::good::good::good:

this was not bench rested...i put a small pad on the wing of the landrover to protect my poor old cracked skin on my elbows....i will have to (at some time ) do a bench test...

Looks to me as though you've got good grouping, but **** handling :lol: It will all come together soon. Keep at it. :good:

Looks to me as though you've got good grouping, but **** handling :lol: It will all come together soon. Keep at it. :good:

quite right...........it will come with a bit more practice............

i have been confused by ..."the artillary hold" normal hold....i really need to stick with what works for me and this gun....that is still to be worked out .. :good:

quite right...........it will come with a bit more practice............

i have been confused by ..."the artillary hold" normal hold....i really need to stick with what works for me and this gun....that is still to be worked out .. :good:

Basically the gun recoils when fired. The recoil is directly in line with the barrel towards the shooter. If you support the gun rather than grip it the recoil will not affect the position of the barrel when fired as the gun will move backwards in line with the barrel. If you grip the gun then that slight recoil will cause your hand to move backwards and in the case of the front grip, pivot as you elbow bends and your wrist follows a shallow arc. That lifts the barrel and causes the shot to go high and often to one side. To a lesser extent gripping the back of the rifle can also throw the front of the barrel out and cause the pellet to go wide.

If you are shooting using a rest then always put the same part of the rifle on the rest and only lightly hold the rear stock when you pull the trigger, but place the end of the stock comfortably in the pocket of your shoulder. Gripping the stock around the trigger too tightly will cause the rifle to jump so the shots go high and possibly wide.

If you imagine how a field gun recoils straight back in its rails then that's what you should be trying to replicate.

Brilliant stuff ditchy. :good::good:

My BSA Stutzen project has concluded. I wouldn't want to derail your superb thread but pictures will be available following a zeroing session.

We should fix up a shoot out at the OK Cantley Cock :lol:

i will provide the venue......yew jus' bring yourr peice pardener.....

Had another fiddle about this morning....and pleased with the results....the bulls are just over 10mm dia and i had 1 shot at each....relaxed before i picked up the rifle...rested it on the bonnet...and soon as on target squeezed it off...shot all five one after the other........

i have lubed the pellets with dry graphite powder.......so there will be no desieling as if i used some sort of oil and would result in damage to the barrell of a long period of use.....last night i took the barrel off and stripped it out ...when i first got it i just did a gentle once only pull thro...thought that was clean enuff ...but no....on the last of the jags i pulled thro last night ..i was seeing rust come out of the lands all the jags came out with brown rifling lines on them...until clean.......

anyway...then gun is spot on ...i just need to work on my tecnique now...........

post-11401-0-34884600-1474823018_thumb.jpg