Covering the buttons on a jacket

CharlesP

Isn't it normal to have wear and tear on stocks ect. It's almost inevitable. cartridge belts are the main culprit Ok you want to look after the item but it is almost inevitable that they will get marked unless you keep it in its delivery box..

I have to agree. A gun is a tool, albeit a well engineered and finished tool. Minor dings are just part of its provenance, they weren't designed to be kept in glass cases.

Yes, a new gun's a joy to behold but an old one, to my mind, should look "used".

If its an old coat then just shower silicone over the top of the buttons making such some gets into the holes. a little sanding wouldn't harm so get some adhesion.

if its a new coat then dont use white, go buy some colour in keeping with the jacket.

dont use black gutter seal or roof seal as you will be very upset when you find it does not dry

Edited by activeviii

Add-on covers - presumably the buttonholes are large enough to accommodate this?A layer of Sugru (£6 a pack from B&Q) would give you a fairly soft surface. I have used it for other jobs, but have no idea whether it is tough enough to would stand the repeatedly fastening and un-fastening the buttons.https://sugru.com/

Just checked with my Taylor

He assures me you can get rubber buttons

He fits them to the clothes at the local asylum

Plenty of polish and use it it's called patina

All the best

Of

That's just silly! The inmates can choke on a soft rubber button just the same as they can with a hard one! Lol!

P1