AYA identification

R1nut

If you intend restoring the wood be very careful around the action, I've seen many guns ruined with over zealous use of sandpaper resulting in too much wood being removed. If wood is not too badly marked around the action leave alone, tape off the chequering with masking tape and just restore to main part of the stock. Be careful with the screws as well, make sure screwdrivers are a perfect fit. Good luck

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I'm going to do the stock myself yet. It's in pretty good condition apart from one scratch. I just wanted to get all the old gunk out.

My other halfs stock is away being done, when we get it back I'll see how it's turned out.

I know what you mean about the screw slots, there have been some really bad examples I have seen over the years!!

• 7 years later...
7 hours ago, Pigeon_snIPer said:

Would one of you kind gentlemen be able to help identify what model this AYA is. it also has "Mayer & Co" written on it.
Unfortunately this is the only pic i have of it as of now. Seems to be from the early 50s if I am not mistaken.

/S

Aya.jpeg

It looks like it could be a well worn AyA 'Cosmos'  single barrel 12 bore.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

Trying to identify an AYA 12 bore, side by side, with fixed chokes. I wrote to Aya in Spain and provided the serial number. 156386  . Long story short, AYA want an upfront payment of 100 Euros to provide the model information.  The gun belonged to a now deceased relative and so I don't any information.  Thoughts ? 

AYA did say the 100 Euros goes to their foundation to protect hunting/shooting.....

48 minutes ago, Stephen303 said:

Hi everyone,

Trying to identify an AYA 12 bore, side by side, with fixed chokes. I wrote to Aya in Spain and provided the serial number. 156386  . Long story short, AYA want an upfront payment of 100 Euros to provide the model information.  The gun belonged to a now deceased relative and so I don't any information.  Thoughts ? 

AYA did say the 100 Euros goes to their foundation to protect hunting/shooting.....

Do you have any pics atall??

41 minutes ago, Stephen303 said:

No, but will take some and post here.  thanks 

Unless it's obvious when you post the pics I have a contact close to AyA who may be able to identify it by the serial number. 

Serial number 156386 is early 1960s.  I have heard elsewhere they are now charging for data.  There used to be a very friendly lady (in AyA Spain) called Carmen who answered with data, but I believe she retired.

On 08/08/2024 at 12:46, JohnfromUK said:

Serial number 156386 is early 1960s.  I have heard elsewhere they are now charging for data.  There used to be a very friendly lady (in AyA Spain) called Carmen who answered with data, but I believe she retired.

Yes Carmen was very helpful with information on AYA guns.

I think that her surname was Getmy:whistling:

Looks to me like a model called Yeoman.  Good sound 'no frills' gun.  They normally came with half and full chokes.

There is a very similar model No. 3 (boxlock non ejector), the main differences being that the Yeoman was slightly cheaper and had drive in pins in the action for the tumbler and sear (as your photos) whereas the No 3 I think had screw in pins.  However, I have heard that some Yeomans may also have had screw in pins.

Both Yeoman and No 3 are basic, but well regarded as 'no frills' guns.  Unfortunately, they make very little money as boxlock non ejector s/s guns are very plentiful with almost no demand.  I don't believe AyA makes either now, but they are very common in gun auctions and on dealers racks.

Yes. I would say a Yeoman and, possibly, that rare thing of that cohort a "Yeoman SR" which stands for "sunken rib" as in what AYA call a normal "game rib" on such as the AYA No4 although on a English gun a "sunken rib" - you see on some Cogswell & Harrison guns - which some also call a "swamped rib" is different from a "game rib". Just to confuse the matter!

Here's a "sunken rib" aka "swamped rib" as I think you'd call it if it were on an English gun. The "SR" on the AYA Yeoman will be like that on their No3 as well as, as said, their No4.

sr.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

1 minute ago, enfieldspares said:

It's a shame it says "This design is favoured by some shooters for its precise aiming capabilities."

For shotguns - "precise aiming" is not what shooting a shotgun it is about at all.

Just a personal view.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

It's a shame it says "This design is favoured by some shooters for its precise aiming capabilities."

For shotguns - "precise aiming" is not what shooting a shotgun it is about at all.

Just a personal view.

Yes. I did wonder. Having said that the standard Yeoman and Yeoman Ejector with their usual raised ribs were great guns for taking shots at pigeons in "sitty trees" or blasting crows' nests for that reason.

9 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes. I did wonder. Having said that the standard Yeoman and Yeoman Ejector with their usual raised ribs were great guns for taking shots at pigeons in "sitty trees" or blasting crows' nests for that reason.

Yeomans are good solid working guns and were deservedly best sellers in their time.  The problem with all AyAs is that designs were not set in stone.  My normal rule of thumb is that if the tumbler and sear pins are push fit - it is a Yeoman, but if they are screw in it's a No 3.

There are also various 'non UK' models that are only seen here rarely.  Some data (from Sweden) on the pre Diarm models here;

http://www.shotguns.se/html/pre_diarm.html

Edited by JohnfromUK

53 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

My normal rule of thumb is that if the tumbler and sear pins are push fit - it is a Yeoman, but if they are screw in it's a No 3.

Yes I agree. In fact I presently have a No4 with 28" barrels and a Yeoman Ejector with 28" barrels and prefer the Yeoman for that very reason. It's simple form follows function with the added whimsy of unnecessary engraving and those extra locking screws to secure the screw in tumbler and sear pins.

In my mind a gun should either be totally plain as was my late father's Henry Clarke or fully engraved up to the very best quality as was my own Boss. A half done engraved or quarter engraved gun always looks as if you are somehow embarrassed by a plain gun but couldn't afford to have the job done properly.

I like plain guns. It shows honesty and pride in a tool where unashamedly form follows function. Like on a Lee Enfield SMLE or No4 or good Colt 1911 pistol. Not a line, a cut or an operation that's not needed for the thing to do what it was meant to do.

Although albeit it is a factory long stock 15 3/4" (so the walnut might have been selected for lighter weight) the No4 weighs 6lbs 8ozs and the Yeoman with its stock now extended in wood to the same 15 3/4" length weighs 6lbs 15ozs.

So unless it is in the wood there is a half a pound weight difference somewhere between the two guns.

Thank you for the link.

14 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes. I would say a Yeoman and, possibly, that rare thing of that cohort a "Yeoman SR" which stands for "sunken rib" as in what AYA call a normal "game rib" on such as the AYA No4 although on a English gun a "sunken rib" - you see on some Cogswell & Harrison guns - which some also call a "swamped rib" is different from a "game rib". Just to confuse the matter!

Here's a "sunken rib" aka "swamped rib" as I think you'd call it if it were on an English gun. The "SR" on the AYA Yeoman will be like that on their No3 as well as, as said, their No4.

sr.jpg

That looks like a high quantity Darne. All the Darnes that I’ve seen (and shot a couple) have had sunken ribs. Brilliant engineering but slow to reload. Built, I think, for the French walked up shooting and being light were ideal for that.

OB