£15.00 well spent?

guzzicat

post-74523-0-91986400-1477586987_thumb.jpgI spotted this for sale on Gun****, poor pics, seemed that the barrels needed re/blueing, as I was in need of a project I bought it, it arrived, barrels are nice damascus, nitro proofed for 2.5" & 1 1/8th oz,a few pits but they should lap out, woodwork has a few dings & chequering needs re/cut but should be a nice gun when work done,. Army & Navy, I have contacted Glasgow for original sale details.

Edited by guzzicat

Obviously will need a re proof if you lap the barrels out. Damascus needs browning not bluing, to get the nice pattern effect. In fact the barrels don't look too bad from the photo and have that semi brown colour that all Damascus takes on with age. I have a 16gauge Army & Navy with Damascus about the same age, yours maybe a bit later than that seeing it is nitro proofed. Mine was originally black powder but I had it nitro proofed.

Probably made by a Birmingham maker, Westley Richards did a fair few for them I believe, because of course Army & Navy never actually made guns themselves. Well worth renovating. Is it an ejector model?

Edited by Walker570

Obviously will need a re proof if you lap the barrels out. Damascus needs browning not bluing, to get the nice pattern effect. I have a 16gauge Army & Navy with Damascus about the same age, yours maybe a bit later than that seeing it is nitro proofed. Mine was originally black powder but I had it nitro proofed.

Probably made by a Birmingham maker, Westley Richards did a fair few for them I believe, because of course Army & Navy never actually made guns themselves. Well worth renovating. Is it an ejector model?

I had the barrels skimmed on my Midland. No reproof needed as it stayed within proof limits.

Was that on Damascus ? It seems these days you only have to breath on a shotgun to have to have it re proofed. Does that shotgun have a dolls head locking mechanism because if it does it is likely a Westley Richards although a number of Birmingham early makers used a similar system to ensure their barrels stayed in place. Modern metal alloys have more or less done away with that necessity now.

I look forward to seeing it in a few months as new :-) These old shotguns just have a feel about them which is rare in modern over and unders. Money well spent.

Yes This non ejector has a doll,s head extension, I have a "Brace" of Charles Hellis shotguns, 1 "2 chambers & 1 "2.75 I am very fond of these especially the "2 ,26" barrels & a scant 5Lbs make it a joy to carry. I will keep posting pics as work proceeds.

Was that on Damascus ? It seems these days you only have to breath on a shotgun to have to have it re proofed. Does that shotgun have a dolls head locking mechanism because if it does it is likely a Westley Richards although a number of Birmingham early makers used a similar system to ensure their barrels stayed in place. Modern metal alloys have more or less done away with that necessity now.

I look forward to seeing it in a few months as new :-) These old shotguns just have a feel about them which is rare in modern over and unders. Money well spent.

Not Damascus, different rules?

the wood isn't bad at all either -- and single trigger?

Nice project, do post updates! ie closer shots of the barrels -- lets see what kind of damascus it is.

On my hammer gun, it looks like the damascus was finished 'black' instead of 'brown' -- it's nice and contrasty, but not brown...