Is a deer classed as Unfit once stomach pierced

lloydi73

Whilst attempting my first solo unsupervised gralloch yesterday, I did the cardinal sin and pierced the stomach, it was outside the carcass but none the less I pierced it. (Sorry Highbird I failed you). This carcass HAS NOT entered the food chain I immediately discarded it.

But once the stomach is pierced, can the carcass be saved or is that the end of it?

ATB

LLoydi

Just because the gut bag has been opened it isn't the end of the world. obviously hygiene is very important when handling the carcass. If the gut was outside the cavity when you pierced it I would have carefully removed it and made sure that nothing was in the cavity. I would have cleaned out the cavity and gone from there. I wouldn't sell it but I would attempt to retrieve as much as I could of the carcass. deer will get stomachache contents inside of them when they are shot. you can't shoot stuff and just discard it because of this. its our moral duty to do something with the deer and not just waste the life for no good purpose.

It was the stomach that was pierced and the horrible green sludge that comes from it came out...It didn't enter the cavity, but went on the fur of the animal and then obviously my knife. It was a field gralloch so I didn't have a lot to clean or steralise with. As I am fully aware the nasty nature of the bacteria, I thought it best to be safe than sorry. Trust me, nobody was sorrier than me not to be able to salvage it as I had a few people I'd made venison promises to. The carcass didn't go to complete waste, my friend took it and fed it to his ferrets and dogs......

It would have to be pretty bad for me to chuck a carcus away. If really bad mibee the tender lions/2 straps on iside of spine at rear

Ur back straps or hauches wil still be in the skin and completely untouched. For decades folk have been sticking knifes in ground to 'hold' them etc not best practice by modern standards but will do u no harm, remember ur cooking the meat too

Think of it in all practical terms as a big rabbit. Would you bin a rabbit if you got a bit of sludge on it? Probably not you'd trim away the flank where it was contaminated and carry on. A deer is much bigger and there's a lot more green sludge to come out if you pop them but don't worry about it. When you get it home and take the skin off you can do a little bit more trimming if you find any more contamination. Don't panic. If you did a particularly bad job there's still 4 legs and then back straps. The more you do the better you'll get.

You done what you thought was right at the time lloydi.

May be worth carrying a roeing knife with you or covering the end of your current knife to stop puncturing,and a pocket full of cable ties :) .

PS glad your feeling better by the way after your illness :)

This, let's not knock someone for doing the 'right thing'.

It was the stomach that was pierced and the horrible green sludge that comes from it came out...It didn't enter the cavity, but went on the fur of the animal and then obviously my knife. It was a field gralloch so I didn't have a lot to clean or steralise with. As I am fully aware the nasty nature of the bacteria, I thought it best to be safe than sorry. Trust me, nobody was sorrier than me not to be able to salvage it as I had a few people I'd made venison promises to. The carcass didn't go to complete waste, my friend took it and fed it to his ferrets and dogs......

Worse is done in slaughterhouses, believe me, but is still above board from a food hygiene aspect.

Highbird 70 will never take you out again.

In less than ideal weather conditions it probably happens more than you think. I remember being on Rannoch Moor one December attempting to gralloch a hind in snowy and cold conditions and I couldn't even feel my hands even though they had been inside the hot body of the deer for a few minutes. Very precise knife work was difficult if not impossible.

Practice makes perfect.

Even if it's gut shot you can still salvage some of the meat for own use. The ba k legs. Top straps even the front legs.

If the green or urine has torched the meat then the deal with not take it. It will show up on the carcuss.

If you popped the stomach out side the cavity and the green had not got in side then with a clean knife, trim the belly out, tell the dealer and then its up to him.

Carry a pack of kitchen worktop wipes in your ghalloching pack would have saved the problem but how much more must one carry

I would be ringing your mate up sharpish and asking for whats left of the carcasse back.

If it makes you feel better I once butchered and bagged up a roe buck then had second thoughts and disposed of the lot. All because of some large lymth nodes I found in the muscle structure when breaking down into joints. I had never noticed them before so it played on my mind. Every one I have butchered since has those same lymth nodes of more or less the same size, I had just not noticed them before on the handful of animals I had dealt with previously.

Its not bad practice to be over cautious but a bit of green waste shouldn't mean the bin if handled correctly. Just wipe it off, if you do get it in the cavity then wipe out with some white vinegar. I have saved meat that has look pretty bad especially in Munties if the shots not dead square on. One thing I have learnt through experience and that is if your going to hang the carcass in the chiller with the skin on especially make sure you cut out any skin were green waste has got under it on the exit wound. A clean carcass will hang for a long time, any gut waste and it will taint.

I have a mate who used to work in a slaughter house and reckoned that if you saw what was passed you would never eat meat again.

Thankyou for the input gents, again a lot learnt to put into practice.....

All the best...

Lloydi

Good on you, I'd be more worried about checking local lymph nodes and signs of parasitic infection that a bit of rumen liqueur contamination.