Log splitting

TaxiDriver

How many people do or would,

Hire in a log splitter and operator for an hourly rate ???

I've seen a number of ads recently for 'log splitter with operator'. For hire typically @ £20 - £25 per hour

I just wonder how many people use such a service.

Edited by TaxiDriver

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't let anyoneelse take the glory of splitting my logs Some say I'm at my happiest when I'm swinging an axe.

You Looking to hire ? Or thinking of a business opportunity?

Work opportunity, Plus it's sort of thing I'd enjoy doing.

I'm having no luck finding a job or work, Not eligible for Job Seekers Allowance apparently so I've got sweet fa income wise.

Finding I've somehow fallen through the cracks makes me wish I could find something self employed again, Might have an investment opportunity IF I get what I should from my accident claim.

I used one, it was money well spent. We had a fair few ton of seasoned hardwood still in rings. It would've taken me forever with a splitting maul. So one afternoon and £80 spent with me labouring and they were all split and stacked. Trouble is, most people buy their wood pre split.

I'm having no luck finding a job or work, Not eligible for Job Seekers Allowance apparently so I've got sweet fa income wise.

Finding I've somehow fallen through the cracks makes me wish I could find something self employed again, Might have an investment opportunity IF I get what I should from my accident claim.

Ah ok, good luck with it.

I too use so much wood that it goes beyond being any fun. I suppose if I had a load in and I couldn't do it I would consider such a service. I'd want an agreed minimum amount guaranteed per hour though.

That throws up another aspect,

What/how much can you realistically expect to split in an hour or a day ?

U'll be talking a fair bit of start up costs as u'd need a decent splitter.

Dunno if u would need a chainsaw ticket even if logging, as on private folks ground would be different if on business premises.

But if u do ur basic course costs lasts a week and about 1K nowadays (althou that includes ur small tree felling, not sure if u can just do the cross cut part) (if u do a saw ticket make sure its NPTC, recognised everywhere and does not expire unlike other tickets) decent saw u could be looking at 700 notes+, plus ur PPE could be another 300+ quite easily.

Plus if ur left to man handling big hardwood rings onto the splitting table of ur splitter would be pretty hard work.

Scotslad,

Thanks, I'd thought about some aspects of that,

Wasn't really thinking of going into tree felling as to Old, Fat, heavy for climbing trees, and don't like heights lol.

As someone else said, I guess most people buy their logs pre split, SO, all in all, Another non starter.

Thanks for the input folks.

I'm actually looking at getting someone in to split a load of oak rings that I'm currently cutting up , no good I know for this year but easier to split green rather than leave till it's dry , the prospect of splitting the growing pile of rings with an axe after cutting , loading , transporting , unloading stacking is rapidly going down in my wish list of things to do ..at the very least I will hire in a splitter .

I cut split and deliver logs and have a large splitter for splitting 30 inch lengths, then stacking for a year, then fed through the hydraulic bench saw into 10 inch logs. I built all of my own kit so apart from £250 for a ram and £50 for the piping, the cost were not high.

If you wanted to just split your own then one of the smaller electric splitters would handle the job, but only for relatively straight grained stuff, a bit of twisty old oak might present a problem.

To answer the question, I honestly cannot see how you could make a reasonable wage hoping to go around just splitting. Suggest you look at something else.

Question from an idiot here, who's been given a lot of logs by a farmer, they're anything from 6 inches to 24 inches in diameter, I was going to use the chainsaw to cut them every step of the way, down to firewood, rather than splitting them, is this the idea of a lazy idiot and should I find my log splitter and man up?

. Go to doctors get a sick note and claim sick pay

Question from an idiot here, who's been given a lot of logs by a farmer, they're anything from 6 inches to 24 inches in diameter, I was going to use the chainsaw to cut them every step of the way, down to firewood, rather than splitting them, is this the idea of a lazy idiot and should I find my log splitter and man up?

You're from Yorkshire. You know the answer! :lol:

That would end up being more work than just splitting it in a lot of cases, and you'd have a lot of waste.

Unless I have a bit that just wont split, I only ever use the saw for crosscutting.

Wot zap says, chainsaws never realy like ripping down the grain u' be far far quickier splitting them by hand.once there cut to size.

Even the bigger 24" rings just work round the edges.

Plus u have the very real problem off holding the log secure (esp if riping it length ways) while u try to cut it, must admit i hate cutting small pieces as it is dangerous even with all the correct PPE, unless u have a saw horse or something

Must admit i treated myself to a Fiskars X27 axe (about 40ish quid on net) best thing ever, can swing it for 2-3 hours easily and not even sweating where the old axe u had a sweat up after 30 mins.

Has split all sorts of things my old splitting maul just bounced off or got stuck in it. Was splitting some big beech rings 4-500mm thick and so heavy it was a strugle to move/roll them, was hrd work but the axe dome them

Another cracking idea is sit ur logs insde an old tyre and it stops them bouncing everywhere and u chasing them round the yard.

Ps taxi driver the smal trees course is for felling small tres from the ground not climbing them thats another few courses/thousands of quid down theline. Its the standard week long course in my area cross cut, maintanece and small trees