SAS rogue heroes.

ordnance

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a series only found the first one on the iplayer. and what day is it on please

Last night (Monday )

What a great history. I have read a couple of books on Blair Mayne and (like many people here) have heard the stories that couldn't be recorded. To see his actions in the context of the unit is fascinating.

Brilliant programme.

Last night (Monday )

What a great history. I have read a couple of books on Blair Mayne and (like many people here) have heard the stories that couldn't be recorded. To see his actions in the context of the unit is fascinating.

Brilliant programme.

Yes to be awarded the British armies second highest award for bravery 4 times says it all, plenty think he should have being awarded a VC including the people served with him but it was denied most think due to army politics.

World War 2 Awards.com - MAYNE, Robert Blair "Paddy"
en.ww2awards.com/person/42139

Maj Gen Sir Robert Laycock, the post-war Chief of Combined Operators, wrote to Col Mayne saying "the appropriate authorities do not really know their job. If they did they would have given you a VC as well".

Sir David Stirling, founding father of the SAS, who chose Col Mayne as one of his first recruits, called the decision "a monstrous injustice".

A possible explanation was disapproval of his rebellious streak. When he drank, he was wild.

At the time, it was reported that George VI inquired why the VC had "so strangely eluded him".
Edited by ordnance

my brother was in special forces sadly no longer with us died at 47 joined paras at 16 and progresed through the ranks and did passed selection did many tours of ireland which with infiltration totally did his mind in with pcdo then falklands with mentions in books excursion to hell and green eyed boys then later the yemen conflicts columbia drug smuggers and the gulf wars 1 read sabre squadron by cameron spence then other escapades i could wright a book about

I've got

Shame it stopped when it did, I have little to no knowledge of what happened to them between end of WW2 and Iranian Embassy

would be good to see their memoirs of falklands and the numerous middle east dust ups of my lifetime

I've got a great book called CQB, close quarter battle by Mike Curtis. It follows a guy from the valleys in South Wales to the Falklands through Central America and to the gulf war and Bosnia . A really good read.

Edited by Pistol p

The first recipients of the VC were awarded their medals just after the Crimean War c 1856 when the south of Ireland was firmly part of Great Britain and Ireland.

The Republic of Ireland did not come into being until 1949 although it went through a couple of different identitiies before that.

The first recipients of the VC may indeed have come from what is now the Irish Republic but they would not have recognised themselves as being described as natives of Eire. In any event, Eire is a term used more by the English than the Irish who largely don`t recognise or acknowledge the name.

Edited by mudpatten

The first recipients of the VC were awarded their medals just after the Crimean War c 1856 when the south of Ireland was firmly part of Great Britain and Ireland.

The Republic of Ireland did not come into being until 1949 although it went through a couple of different identitiies before that.

The first recipients of the VC may indeed have come from what is now the Irish Republic but they would not have recognised themselves as being described as natives of Eire. In any event, Eire is a term used more by the English than the Irish who largely don`t recognise or acknowledge the name.

(And if the Irish don't recognise 'Eire' may I ask how you think they designate the Republic?)

We call it Ireland. Not Eire, not the Republic. Just 'Ireland'

We call Northern Ireland 'up North' or 'Northern Ireland'. There are also some less polite terms.

I've never heard an Irish person refer to 'Eire'. Eire is the official Irish name for Ireland, and would be used on things like passports and stamps, but if you are speaking Irish it usually ends up taking the form 'Eireann', and as such would be more recognisable to us non native speakers. However, I don't speak Irish and have no interest what so ever in using it so I could be wrong.

Aaaaand back on topic - saw the episode last night, first time watching but found it really fascinating. What those guys achieved was incredible.