A bit of help from the Benelli experts - auto or pump?

Big Al

As the title suggests I am considering a Benelli . I have never owned an inertia semi auto so I had a shot with a super vinci today. I noticed more recoil than I'm used to than with a gas operated gun but I have to say it fitted well and I quite liked it.

The look was a bit space age, but a search on here revealed a potential rusting issue with super vinci. There doesn't seem to be the same issue with SBE or SBE2. Is this still the case?

I also have never owned a pump action but the price differential between benelli semis and pumps is making me look more closely at them. The Benelli guns seem to fit me quite well so would people recommend the nova or supernova? After watching Chris Green struggle with his sxp on dvd I'm not sure about them.

Sorry for all the questions - I am keen to have a go at benelli. My choice is 2nd hand super vinci, a 2nd hand sbe, new supernova or 2nd hand nova. I'd love buy em all. I hope to go back and try some more, but I'd appreciate some advice from you guys first.

Thanks in advance.

I just got rid of my Super Nova. It could of been the guy behind the trigger - but it never cycled shells properly (for me). Brought it back to the shop - and they gladly test fired it with me present. No issues - it cycled as it should. Then I take it to the field for pigeon shooting - and it would not cycle. Tried different shells and loads - all at least 70mm as the manual says - and it never consistently cycled (for me)

Good luck if you go that route..

Edited by ab1964

I just got rid of my Super Nova. It could of been the guy behind the trigger - but it never cycled shells properly (for me). Brought it back to the shop - and they gladly test fired it with me present. No issues - it cycled as it should. Then I take it to the field for pigeon shooting - and it would not cycle. Tried different shells and loads - all at least 70mm as the manual says - and it never consistently cycled (for me)

Good luck if you go that route..

Thanks. That's you and Chris Green putting me off pumps then!

What are you using it for?

I have had all the benellis and I think they all suit a purpose, none of them suit 3.5" the sbe, super Vinci are all to light for 3.5" and the pumps slam open with 3.5" and give a totally different pump experience dependant upon cartridge power

However that said, the Vinci 3" is a superb duck gun and the M2 a brilliant pigeon gun!

What are you using it for?

I have had all the benellis and I think they all suit a purpose, none of them suit 3.5" the sbe, super Vinci are all to light for 3.5" and the pumps slam open with 3.5" and give a totally different pump experience dependant upon cartridge power

However that said, the Vinci 3" is a superb duck gun and the M2 a brilliant pigeon gun!

Mainly duck on open water. Not wildfowling strictly but wildfowling distances. Pigeons and corvids too and some clays. I'd like the 3.5 inch capacity as a "just in case it's needed " but in the light of what you say maybe that's a bit silly.

What makes the vinci good for ducks in particular? Why does the M2 suit pigeons well, but not ducks too?

Thanks. That's you and Chris Green putting me off pumps then!

My old Remington 870 Wingmaster pumper has never ever failed to feed anything and everything 2 3/4. I would be quite a rich guy if I had a fiver for everything it has shot for me.

I have a skeet barrel and a 30 inch full choke barrel for it. I purchased it second hand almost thirty years ago at auction and then found the skeet barrel the following month at the same auction.

Edited by Walker570

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a few more shots next week and decide.

I'd be going semi auto without a thought if they weren't 3 times the price of the pumps. I'll let you know what i have chosen for my new gun next week.

No more rust issues with the super vinci then?

My old Remington 870 Wingmaster pumper has never ever failed to feed anything and everything 2 3/4. I would be quite a rich guy if I had a fiver for everything it has shot for me.

I have a skeet barrel and a 30 inch full choke barrel for it. I purchased it second hand almost thirty years ago at auction and then found the skeet barrel the following month at the same auction.

A great find - I have no pump prejudice but I do have a fear of my ineptitude handling it letting me down at key moments!

As the title suggests I am considering a Benelli . I have never owned an inertia semi auto so I had a shot with a super vinci today. I noticed more recoil than I'm used to than with a gas operated gun but I have to say it fitted well and I quite liked it.

The look was a bit space age, but a search on here revealed a potential rusting issue with super vinci. There doesn't seem to be the same issue with SBE or SBE2. Is this still the case?

I also have never owned a pump action but the price differential between benelli semis and pumps is making me look more closely at them. The Benelli guns seem to fit me quite well so would people recommend the nova or supernova? After watching Chris Green struggle with his sxp on dvd I'm not sure about them.

Sorry for all the questions - I am keen to have a go at benelli. My choice is 2nd hand super vinci, a 2nd hand sbe, new supernova or 2nd hand nova. I'd love buy em all. I hope to go back and try some more, but I'd appreciate some advice from you guys first.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried the Franchi very like the Benelli inertia action only cheaper. ( saw a video were they interchanged parts from both guns and they worked ).

Just buy the New Super Black Eagle 3 the reviews are very good and it cycles right down to clay loads so long as there not comp x etc. New comfotech 3 with bigger chevrons and different cell structured rubber in the butt pad larger soft rubber cheek pad so should be very soft on recoil.

I am so tempted to chop the M2 for next season Wildfowling but I love the M2 apart from the 3" chamber and the bolt isn't same as the new version that will always close up no matter how soft you close it of knock it, no more Benelli click if you knocked your gun butt.

Just buy the New Super Black Eagle 3 the reviews are very good and it cycles right down to clay loads so long as there not comp x etc. New comfotech 3 with bigger chevrons and different cell structured rubber in the butt pad larger soft rubber cheek pad so should be very soft on recoil.

I am so tempted to chop the M2 for next season Wildfowling but I love the M2 apart from the 3" chamber and the bolt isn't same as the new version that will always close up no matter how soft you close it of knock it, no more Benelli click if you knocked your gun butt.

I looked on guntrader - none for sale in the UK. I looked to US and see its about $1900 dollars. That'll be over 2 grand here. I want a wildfowling and pigeon gun so that that's a bit steep. If there are no more rust issues about the super vinci I might just go for it as it fitted well.

But the sbe3 sounds like the mutt's nuts. It will be one to look out for in the future.

Edited by Big Al

Mainly duck on open water. Not wildfowling strictly but wildfowling distances. Pigeons and corvids too and some clays. I'd like the 3.5 inch capacity as a "just in case it's needed " but in the light of what you say maybe that's a bit silly.

What makes the vinci good for ducks in particular? Why does the M2 suit pigeons well, but not ducks too?

I think just weight again, the Vinci is a great gun with big buttons which is great for cold weather Wildfowling, the m2 seems more compact and faster for in a pigeon hide!