Cars/phones

Davyo

I think in this country people try and push the boundaries.I read a post on on of the motoring forums where a guy was asking about breathalysers.These thing you use before you get in the car for crying out load.Leave the sodding car or drink pop!

I think it's Italy where they only have to smell alcohol on you and your going to spend the night in the clink.Id like to see a zero tolerance on drink driving.If you can't leave the drink alone or feel you have to have the stupid 2 pint thing then you've got a drink problem.

Edited by Davyo

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in this country people try and push the boundaries.I read a post on on of the motoring forums where a guy was asking about breathalysers.These thing you use before you get in the car for crying out load.Leave the sodding car or drink pop!

I think it's Italy where they only have to smell alcohol on you and your going to spend the night in the clink.Id like to see a zero tolerance on drink driving.If you can't leave the drink alone or feel you have to have the stupid 2 pint thing then you've got a drink problem.

I completely agree. If I drive, I drink *zero*. It's a lot easier to count 'units' when there's zero of them :-)

You don't signal because it's "necessary". You signal because *you don't know it might be necessary or not* that's the whole point of the french system, and why its' an offence. You are nor omnipotent, there might be someone in your blind spot, or a motorbike you haven't seen, etc. A LOT safer to signal 'unnecessarily'. There's no extra macho points about not signaling, it's pure laziness of mind. Exactly like driving for 2:30 hours in the middle lane ignoring *everything* that happens around you, as many do.

So, to get this right; they signal after they have completed the manoeuvre to confirm that pulling back into the inside lane it wasn't a mistake? And they indicate left when intending to go straight on at a roundabout just in case I wondered where they were intending going? Its the same in Cyprus. Over there if you see a car indicating and it isn't a hire car, you know that the driver is fiddling with the stalk wondering what it does :lol:

No you signal when pulling back because you are *polite*. that's why some people, or continental lorries will flash you if you do that, because they appreciate the gesture. Technically you also are changing lane, so *technically* you have to signal anyway.

The roundabout signalling right/straight bit is silly, I agree. Even my wife does it because she was taught like that. She was also taught stupid things, like not accelerating to the motorway speed when getting onto it (another thing you see *all the time*) it's called a "voie d'aceleration" in france, for that reason.

But then again, the roundabout signalling at least is someone SIGNALING something. That's half points for trying to use that control thing on the steering wheel.

In France it is a three stage process; first offence = 1 year ban. 2nd offence is (I think) three year ban and third conviction is a lifetime ban. That means they can then only drive the 'Sans Permis' cars that are the size of dodgem cars and only do 40 kph. My friend used to call the 'San Permis' the naughty cars but these days there are more and more Romanians driving them as you don't need a driver's licence to drive one.

Have you noticed the flickering screens that you can see in lorry cabs being driven at night? They are watching TVs :no:

obviously i cant see what youre seeing , but the light youre seeing may well be from the reversing camera screen , several times ive had people shout at me because they think im watching telly while driving .

I completely agree. If I drive, I drink *zero*. It's a lot easier to count 'units' when there's zero of them :-)

this is the only way in my book.

No you signal when pulling back because you are *polite*. that's why some people, or continental lorries will flash you if you do that, because they appreciate the gesture. Technically you also are changing lane, so *technically* you have to signal anyway.

The roundabout signalling right/straight bit is silly, I agree. Even my wife does it because she was taught like that. She was also taught stupid things, like not accelerating to the motorway speed when getting onto it (another thing you see *all the time*) it's called a "voie d'aceleration" in france, for that reason.

But then again, the roundabout signalling at least is someone SIGNALING something. That's half points for trying to use that control thing on the steering wheel.

Its a different world out here. Indicators are actually confirmators in overtaking manoeuvres as they aren't usually used until the manoeuvre is completed. They don't indicate and then pull out. They pull out from a metre or so behind you and then indicate. After they have scraped your front bumper while pulling back in they, as an afterthought, put the indicator on for a few hundred metres. And at junctions you get two schools; the 300 metre indication and slow down to a crawl before entering a side road or the first flash as they actually enter the side road without slowing down. :lol:

obviously i cant see what youre seeing , but the light youre seeing may well be from the reversing camera screen , several times ive had people shout at me because they think im watching telly while driving .

this is the only way in my book.

The reversing camera thingie shouldn't be on when they are blatting down a dual carriageway surely?

I can load about six full length films onto my sat nav.I never have mind you, but the capability is there

Driving back from Wales on a Sunday night on the M4, more than once I have followed cars that have had moving pictures on a device attached to the windscreens.

Its a different world out here. Indicators are actually confirmators in overtaking manoeuvres as they aren't usually used until the manoeuvre is completed. They don't indicate and then pull out. They pull out from a metre or so behind you and then indicate. After they have scraped your front bumper while pulling back in they, as an afterthought, put the indicator on for a few hundred metres. And at junctions you get two schools; the 300 metre indication and slow down to a crawl before entering a side road or the first flash as they actually enter the side road without slowing down. :lol:

The reversing camera thingie shouldn't be on when they are blatting down a dual carriageway surely?

Some are and some arent , I have two in my cab , one that sits on the dashboard that is constantly turned on , and one that sits near to the top nearside corner of the windscreen , this one only turns on when reverse gear is selected.

I can load about six full length films onto my sat nav.I never have mind you, but the capability is there

Driving back from Wales on a Sunday night on the M4, more than once I have followed cars that have had moving pictures on a device attached to the windscreens.

Youll have to excuse my ignorance on this one vince , but are sat navs made so that you can watch films ? , and do people actually do it while theyre driving ?.

Youll have to excuse my ignorance on this one vince , but are sat navs made so that you can watch films ? , and do people actually do it while theyre driving ?.

Yes mine has a memory card slot onto which I can load 'media'. I did put some music on it but have never tried films although its in the instruction book how to do it.

As to the second part of your question, I imagine there is always the idiot who would.

Edited by Vince Green

I really don't see why it should be made a specific offence texting yes but playing with a sat nav, radio or even eating/drinking or smoking could all be far more distracting.esp if u dropped food/drink or fag onto urself/seat

This already is breaking the law.. I dont know why they bought in the phone law.. You are driving without due care and attention.... Eating an apple, drinking a coffee, doing ya makeup, texting, its all the same thing....

We didn't need a new law, we needed the ones already in place to be put into force.

This already is breaking the law.. I dont know why they bought in the phone law.. You are driving without due care and attention.... Eating an apple, drinking a coffee, doing ya makeup, texting, its all the same thing....

We didn't need a new law, we needed the ones already in place to be put into force.

They wanted harsher penalties, there will be a maximum for eating and apple and a minimum,

Penalties for phones now start at £200 + 6 points

So imagine a difference offence was needed....£200 +1 month ban + 6 points would be my starting point, there is simply no excuse for it

:shaun:

Easiest way is to fit a device to vehicles to cut out any mobile signal so you can't use your phone whilst driving.Anyone having this device fitted would get a reduction in insurance,anyone chosing not to fit the device to get an increase in insurance.

None of them would work, because that would prevent passengers to use their phones as well. Also, any scrambler would pollute signal for pedestrians and nearby houses etc.

Also, we'd just see magnetic antennas re-appear on top of cars, like back in the days :-)

Easiest way is to fit a device to vehicles to cut out any mobile signal so you can't use your phone whilst driving.Anyone having this device fitted would get a reduction in insurance,anyone chosing not to fit the device to get an increase in insurance.

I'd be a little miffed if I had just driven back from Aberdeen and got in doors to find I had a missed call asking me to pop in to Edinburgh to pick something up because the phone signal was jammed!

I think the mobile needs to go out of fashion a little bit, its been an incredible phenomenon over the last 25 years, they are fantastic, and incredibly cheap, but some people take it all too seriously, I get laughed at because I wont go along with it and have an i-phone, I have a ten quid basic nokia on a 12 quid a month contract.

I do my computing at home on the laptop.

I'd be a little miffed if I had just driven back from Aberdeen and got in doors to find I had a missed call asking me to pop in to Edinburgh to pick something up because the phone signal was jammed!

Didn't realize the signal got that far North!!