Dirty Cartridges

I went for a round of sporting on Sunday with a friend just a small farm clay shoot 5 stands. I was out of cartridges well except some number 5 Blackgolds and I was not going to waste them. So I bought some NSI Prima fibres in 7.5 shot at the clay ground as that's all they had. After 50 shots my barrels were unbelievably dirty, when I cleaned my gun later that day most of the carp was unburned powder. Never have I seen such a mess after 50 shoots not since using some Baikals back in the 80's.

Moral of the story never run out. :good:

I went for a round of sporting on Sunday with a friend just a small farm clay shoot 5 stands. I was out of cartridges well except some number 5 Blackgolds and I was not going to waste them. So I bought some NSI Prima fibres in 7.5 shot at the clay ground as that's all they had. After 50 shots my barrels were unbelievably dirty, when I cleaned my gun later that day most of the carp was unburned powder. Never have I seen such a mess after 50 shoots not since using some Baikals back in the 80's.

Moral of the story never run out. :good:

Dirty nitro powder is not a problem what about if it had been black powder

Feltwad

I was out of cartridges well except some number 5 Blackgolds and I was not going to waste them. So I bought some NSI Prima fibres in 7.5 shot at the clay ground as that's all they had.

I'd have shot the Black Golds. #5 ought to be big enough to break clay pigeons... :whistling:

The mess was probably caused by cold cartridges - do you know if they'd been stored outside, in a shed, out of the way of anything like warmth or sunshine? The ease with which powder burns can change a lot between - say - 0 and 20 degrees celsius. It's why some Italian reloading data has "summer" and "winter" recipes, for example.

I'd have shot the Black Golds. #5 ought to be big enough to break clay pigeons... :whistling:

The mess was probably caused by cold cartridges - do you know if they'd been stored outside, in a shed, out of the way of anything like warmth or sunshine? The ease with which powder burns can change a lot between - say - 0 and 20 degrees celsius. It's why some Italian reloading data has "summer" and "winter" recipes, for example.

No idea, but it was a warm t'shirt day.

Guest cookoff013

well,

it nearly isnt always the temperature of the shells.

if the shells are cheap and dirty, no amount of rose tinted eyes would make them be cleaner.

warming shells up can make them clean or cleaner, but if the shells are inherently dirty then invest in different shells.

i couldnt care less.

there are no disclaimers on the box was there? "use only on a 37.5C, slightly overcast day, with minimal rain."

I have the same carts in plastic wad and think they're a great cart. Stored in the warm and dry have also noticed unburnt powder in the barrels from some slabs but not others. All stored the same so something must be amis,never alterd the breaks or my scores, good cart and the carp soon cleans out.

Edited by figgy

I have the same carts in plastic wad and think they're a great cart. Stored in the warm and dry have also noticed unburnt powder in the barrels from some slabs but not others. All stored the same so something must be amis,never alterd the breaks or my scores, good cart and the carp soon cleans out.

Figgy

Your findings would suggest the recipe changes from batch to batch, possibly due to availability or price of powder.

That could be the reason many of you are seeing noticeably larger deposits of unburned powder.

They are after all a cheap cartridge and you get what you pay for!

Given that NSI are the manufactures of vectan powder I would think they have no problem with regards type, quantity or quality of the powder. They also manufacture, cases, primers, wads and shot so may be that is why they are cheap.

Quite why they are burning dirty is the question.

Edited by rbrowning2