The Game Fair 2017 Hatfield House

catroofel

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entrance in was looking a bit ropy already today when I got in and the car did ground out a bit on one section. I am driving a Merc B class so not ideal offroad and its low to the ground. If it rains like its forcast to this everning they will need to get something down or rethink the road in otherwise anything but a 4x4 will struggle I think.

Edited by Zetter

Just got back and the fields were quite mid free. I only took my Ford Fiesta and wondered if the parking would be ok but it was fine. We got in the site no problem but took a time to get out as they was using the same route in and out and in parts it was not wide enough for passing. Not as big as old game fairs but I thought it was a good show with plenty of gun stalls. The clay line was not all that good some poor clays and lots of no birds. With a grouse stand with mostly going away birds and a pigeon hide with most clay at a couple of feet of the ground. Glad I didn't take my gun

I was there today, it was OK parking but I have a big car -- the area is *huge* so take very good walking shoes, possibly big walking boots as it's raining (and it's going to rain more) and it looks like it might degenerate very quickly.

Did buy all kind of stuff, theres are bargains to be made; the 'best' one is a Croots belt for £20 -- unfortunately they don't have a lot of sizes. Anyway, I was with Mrs, so we had a LONG walk back to the car with lots of bag :-)

Seriously, if some parts of the car parks are a good 15 minutes walk away, and so if you start at the back of the show it's likely 20-25 minutes walk just to go across!

Also went today and way in was around many fields on pretty rough tracks. Way out was like sitting on the M25 at 4.30 on a Friday, which we also did by the time we got out.

Still mate bought a vnice London made hammer gun so worth the trip.

Went today (Friday)

Car parking was fine Gate/Area A - although a bit of a walk to the show 5/10 minutes at most. if it rains the car park could easily become tricky. Only issue was getting out at 16:00. We were sat for ages there were 4 lines of cars from different directions all trying to exit through one single file track. There were 3 or 4 members of "Staff" stood to one side just letting the traffic "get on with it" amongst ourselves. Not good.

The show itself was very good with plenty of stuff to satisfy your shopping therapy and as a plus loads for shooting/hunting/fishing oriented stalls. Pretty well laid out with food and toilets easily available - walked around all day but still missed some bits.

Thanks BASC for an enjoyable free (well almost :lol::lol: ) day out.

I went today. I live in Hertford which is very close but I know the roads very well round Hatfield so went by train. Parked at Welwyn North station £6.80 car park then less than a tenner for 2 return tickets. Possibly quicker than queuing in the traffic and no risk of getting stuck in the mud which is likely tomorrow as it's raining.

I gave up on the Game Fair years ago due to the high entry fee and the traffic. Both problems solved this year due to free Basc and it being local. I'm glad I went but it did seem a bit smaller than the old days. Burgers etc very pricey as you expect. Mrs bought some clothing which she could try for size rather than buy online so a success there. I bought a goose decoy from Tidepool, guy told me he had almost sold out and it's only the first morning. We had to come away at 2ish so may go again on Sunday but I'm glad I didn't pay 20 something quid to get in.

Entrance in was looking a bit ropy already today when I got in and the car did ground out a bit on one section. I am driving a Merc B class so not ideal offroad and its low to the ground. If it rains like its forcast to this everning they will need to get something down or rethink the road in otherwise anything but a 4x4 will struggle I think.

I thought it was pretty good today - my BMW 3 series (surely the worst ever off road car!) had no problems at all

I was there today, it was OK parking but I have a big car -- the area is *huge* so take very good walking shoes, possibly big walking boots as it's raining (and it's going to rain more) and it looks like it might degenerate very quickly.

Did buy all kind of stuff, theres are bargains to be made; the 'best' one is a Croots belt for £20 -- unfortunately they don't have a lot of sizes. Anyway, I was with Mrs, so we had a LONG walk back to the car with lots of bag :-)

Seriously, if some parts of the car parks are a good 15 minutes walk away, and so if you start at the back of the show it's likely 20-25 minutes walk just to go across!

Agree that IF it rains it will degenerate quickly - it was very 'squishy', but OK - rain will quickly turn it to quagmire I think.

Car park C where I was was quite a walk. Show I thought quite compact and walking OK, but it is a long day. Journey there was just over 2 hours, back, well over 4 hrs ....... thanks M25

(I was also on the back of Car park C @johnfromUK !! :-))

Not veering of topic, but we did stop by the BASC (large) stand and gave them our thanks for organising the setup and the free entry for members. There were 3 of us, it saved it 75 quid or so, and that's money we spent on the exhibitors there. So if you get a chance, drop by the BASC stand and give them a pat on the back!

Good day today entrance C park fine mostly flat and no issues with mud or bumps.

I'll now be on the EJ Churchill's gun line for the rest of the weekend so if your about pop in.

Good to see lots of familiar faces today around the houses.

Well I dropped by E.J C sprawling stand today, had some gin+tonic, saw Jonathan of the gunroom, had a very nice chat with Sir Dashwood, shook the hand of George while sipping my drink and I have to say they do have a terrific setup there (and LOTS of gin)... then I we went to the gun line and realised EJC had more or less taken over the whole place, saw Adam and a few others too -- what a HUGE setup! Poor Browning have a lot of flags and ONE poor stand ;-)

Edited by buze

(I was also on the back of Car park C @johnfromUK !! :-))

Not veering of topic, but we did stop by the BASC (large) stand and gave them our thanks for organising the setup and the free entry for members. There were 3 of us, it saved it 75 quid or so, and that's money we spent on the exhibitors there. So if you get a chance, drop by the BASC stand and give them a pat on the back!

I was near the front of car park C (arrived 06:45). Had breakfast in the Greg Wallace 'Shot to Pot' restaurant, which was pretty poor bearing in mind it cost £15 ...... good fast service but badly let down by poor quality food, not properly cooked (limp barely cooked bacon, sausage that looked like a boiled finger, standard frozen hash brown). If you pay for a famous name, you expect much better than that for £15. Still - it was probably not a wise choice to try it ......

Would have been better at one of the smaller stands where £5 bought a very good (I'm told) bacon sandwich.

I had a VERY GOOD sausage in a roll later from Great British Sausage Co for £5.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Well I dropped by E.J C sprawling stand today, had some gin+tonic, saw Jonathan of the gunroom, had a very nice chat with Sir Dashwood, shook the hand of George while sipping my drink and I have to say they do have a terrific setup there (and LOTS of gin)... then I we went to the gun line and realised EJC had more or less taken over the whole place, saw Adam and a few others too -- what a HUGE setup! Poor Browning have a lot of flags and ONE poor stand ;-)

We haven't taken over the gun line it's ours we let other take over parts of it ;-) Edited by welshwarrior

I really enjoyed the day, but do take good walking boots ( I walked 7.5 miles)

Most muddy areas near the entrance mainly had been covered with chip pings however with some extreme tip toe action i managed to get around a slightly muddy area near the entrance without a spot on me.

All the trade, shooting and exhibition areas were dry, soft underfoot but I wore new boots and they were still spotless when I got back to the car.

Not sure how the rain may have affected that.

I got there for 10.00am and left at 3.00pm and had no traffic issues, a very painless day and the BASC gates to enter the fair on foot were the quickest of the lot.

I enjoyed it, the dog started doing my head in so he went in the creche for 2 hours :lol: so i could look at shotguns in peace.

Edited by evolution380

Was it better than last year?

I didn't go last year - but friends I was with preferred last year - even though it was further for them to travel. They thought this year walk from car was very long - they had booked forward parking, but were not able to access it (apparently - not sure what went wrong), and they seemed to think there was more of a 'return of the tat' stands, which apparently had been largely absent last year. Edited by JohnfromUK