waterproofing for boots

ips

Had them since June, worn them half dozen times to wear them in. First time I wore them I anger was on Tuesday, walked up partridge over best. Having just read the boots description and a few reviews (very good reviews) they should be waterproof. I am now wondering if the water entered from above. I had socks and breeks on with treggings over the top. My socks were ringing wet, I wonder if whilst clambering around the top of my socks got wet and sort of soaked down.!!!!

Found out that my new grisport keeper boots are not waterproof. Not sure were the water entered but I had 1/4" of water in them the other day.

What is best product to use in order to waterproof them.

The literature with my Grisport boots was to use nikwax silicon shoe ceam, worked a treat with mine, you can even put it on with the leather wet.

Thank you gentlemen 👍

Update

I think it came in from the top as I suspected as I have just worn the dogging in through long grass and puddles and stayed dry. The boots are very wet on outside, no beading so will get as recommended above ad proof them.

Thanks again 👍

So, put it on with a brush and buffed a bit with a cloth. Didn't realise how dry the boots were until I had done one and compared.

If your wearing them almost daily as I will be how often do you need to re-apply. ??

Apply everytime you go out until the gris has Soaked well in your the leather and you can stand in water and it beads off ..then after every few outings to maintain.

Here is instructions and aftercare advice click on red links

http://www.altberg.co.uk/leder-gris/product/leder-gris-original/

Edited by psycho

Another thing u can try once the boots are older and not waterproof anymore (no matter wot u put on them) or if they've got holes in the uppers, u can put a pair of Yeti gaiters on them.

With some boots u have to cut the grips a bit to get the Yetis on or best still silicon them onto the boots. I got an extra 2-3 seasons out a pair of harkillas which burst at the ankle/heel as usual. I could walk throu burns with the gaiters on yet had a 2-3 finger hole on the back of the boots.

I used to be a dubbin bloke but on Mendl sports wax and it seems good with modern boots