Multichoking a fixed choke SBS?

wildfowler.250

As title really? How practical is it,(and to some extend, cost?) to multichoke a fixed choke sbs? I keep mulling over an old aya or similar but I would want it to be half and half or similar to shoot steel through it. Would I have to chop a good length off the barrel to do so? If I was going to the effort Id probably have it multichoked so if I wanted to change it then at least I had the option.

Thanks!

It is practical, there are two routes;

Teague or Briley through Chris Potters in Tunbridge Wells in Kent, both will cost you approximately £400 so that is a factor to consider.

Good luck

I'd be inclined (as I've just done) to go straight to Teague. The manager - Ivan Reid - is a good guy to talk to and you might get a look around the works. TC's price is spot on at c£200 a barrel which includes one choke for each. This might prove to be a little different as I had my choice of two permanently installed.

I'd be inclined (as I've just done) to go straight to Teague. The manager - Ivan Reid - is a good guy to talk to and you might get a look around the works. TC's price is spot on at c£200 a barrel which includes one choke for each. This might prove to be a little different as I had my choice of two permanently installed.

Can I ask why you would pay to have a gun multi choked and then have 2 permanently fixed?

Not having a dig, just genuinely curious :good:

Can I ask why you would pay to have a gun multi choked and then have 2 permanently fixed?

It is a service that Teague offer whereby they can put more choke in if you have a nice gun that is currently too open or can set a pair of barrels up to a specific constriction and then bond them in.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Like others have said either buy one with open chokes or bore a tight choke to suit your needs. Would not spend money on multi chokes as they are not required for a gun that's going to be used for standard steel loads. Suggest a boring of half and half then pattern test with your selected load and tune from there. Good luck.

Like others have said either buy one with open chokes or bore a tight choke to suit your needs. Would not spend money on multi chokes as they are not required for a gun that's going to be used for standard steel loads. Suggest a boring of half and half then pattern test with your selected load and tune from there. Good luck.

That's the way to do it!

I've got a lovely AYA best quality box lock that was 1/2 & Full that I had taken out to 1/4 and half, it's a minter yours for £1500, full colour tear drops , gold oval (blank) or would consider a px or swap maybe, just fancy a change

I'll wager that sometime in the future this will be the one that you regret selling the most.

I would personally leave the gun as it is.

I cant put heavy steel loads through a full and full though. And Im not too sure it would be much use for decoying either. But generally I agree with the sentiments

I've got a lovely AYA best quality box lock that was 1/2 & Full that I had taken out to 1/4 and half, it's a minter yours for £1500, full colour tear drops , gold oval (blank) or would consider a px or swap maybe, just fancy a change

Thanks, but the mud would ruin it!

Cheers for the replies gents. Plenty to look into and Ill contact Teague as they were who I had in mind initially. Thanks!

Just made sense if you were going to the bother of changing it I suppose. And I thought if I moved it on it would resell easier if it was more versatile. I shoot half choke all the time now but nice to have the option. Edited by wildfowler.250

Just made sense if you were going to the bother of changing it I suppose. And I thought if I moved it on it would resell easier if it was more versatile. I shoot half choke all the time now but nice to have the option.

Versatility is a valid point, although if you were to modify it to usable chokes, that should have just as much appeal if you were to sell it on.

Versatility is a valid point, although if you were to modify it to usable chokes, that should have just as much appeal if you were to sell it on.

I agree! The only problem is, say I bought a 3 inch chamber and try and re-sell it in Scotland. You get a heap of tyre kickers wanting it back to full and full to put about half a kilo of lead through each barrel to shoot geese half a mile up..

I cant put heavy steel loads through a full and full though. And Im not too sure it would be much use for decoying either. But generally I agree with the sentiments

Thanks, but the mud would ruin it!

Cheers for the replies gents. Plenty to look into and Ill contact Teague as they were who I had in mind initially. Thanks!

I personnally would put heavy steel through it. I have an O/U 10 and a S/S 10 - both choked originally. They have both had the heaviest of steel loads through them.

Sod them, stick to a sensible set up and a good gun will sell at a fair price!

To be fair, Id be unlikely to make the £400 back on multichoking it.. doubt it adds value..

I personnally would put heavy steel through it. I have an O/U 10 and a S/S 10 - both choked originally. They have both had the heaviest of steel loads through them.

Its probably fine but I havent seen any tests/papers to tell me so. Although Im not sure where the half choke theory originally came from anyways..

To be fair, Id be unlikely to make the £400 back on multichoking it.. doubt it adds value..

Its probably fine but I havent seen any tests/papers to tell me so. Although Im not sure where the half choke theory originally came from anyways..

The half choke is only for 4.1mm (BB) in HP steel.

Standard proof guns is max 4 english (whatever that is in mm ?)

Traders say 1/2 choke to cover any eventuality.

Follow the instructions as written on the box of carts and you won't gp wrong.

As for multichoking. IMO. In the past teague prices were at a level that it was a viable alternative to just trading in for a multi.

Since they were bought out prices look to have escalated and the best option seems to be just to trade in.

Unless the gun is a keeper and you wsnt to shoot large steel shot sizes through it or an expensive gun it's prob mot worth the bother.

Edited by Paul1440