understanding gun shop/traders

activeviii

anyone had dealings with R J Hooper west mids.

Been looking for a 223 with a 9 or 8 twist. found one ready to go and buy it. phone for the basic simple info of what twist is the rifle.

it was almost like to much effort, like another trader i know, trying to tell you what you need rather that just giving the information so i can make an informed decision on whether im going to do the 3 hour round trip to get it.

do i bother or just order from else where?

I went into Keens Guns in Aberkenfig before asked for a box of bullet heads in 87gr for my 243, they spent about 20 mins telling me they're the wrong ones and you can't legally shoot deer with anything less than 100gr.

They flat out refused to listen and told me I was wrong. I told them I think they're thinking of Scotland, where Red Deer have to be shoot with a minimum of 100ge bullets I think. Still refused to listen, even what I said about all the Muntjac that people can now legally shoot with a 22 centrefire.

In the end I just told them to give me the bullets and quickly left. Now you can buy bullets online I don't ever need return.

I think for rifle stuff it is particularly bad for RFDs as they get price shopped and so I feel bad for them.

Ammo / bullets / powder /new in box rifles from a certain manufacturer are all built to a spec. You may as well pay least for your chosen item as there is no other differentiator. Also if you get a guy in an RFD who’s into shotguns and not rifles, good luck with getting sensible answers!

Scrummy

It's not really anything to do with being price dropped or window shopping. A rifle is for sale at the right price but I would like to know the basic information like twist rate before I go for a drive to collect. As I can't get the information I was hoping to get the info from someone possibly on here that has the same rifle or knows the rifle. Quite where your comments came from red dot I do not know.

It's not really anything to do with being price dropped or window shopping. A rifle is for sale at the right price but I would like to know the basic information like twist rate before I go for a drive to collect. As I can't get the information I was hoping to get the info from someone possibly on here that has the same rifle or knows the rifle. Quite where your comments came from red dot I do not know.

Had you mentioned the make and model, it's highly likely that you would have got the answer. :whistling:

Had you mentioned the make and model, it's highly likely that you would have got the answer. :whistling:

Oh dont you start lmao

Opps

Browning X-bolt .223 Stainless fluted. durex coating or something somesuch. not adjustable stock.

Something about new old stock. so its this bit that throws the spanner in the works as i found 8-9 and 12 twists on the x-bolt from web searching.

Who's the uk imports, anyone know

(found phone number but they cant answer till later next week, wrong person in office)

(BwM arms 01235 514550 for anyone else looking as it was a ball to find. well it was for me hehe)

Edited by activeviii

Most RFDs will only really help u if your handing them your cash I bought a shotgun of a dealer in England got him post it to my local RFD in N Ireland My local dealer charged me 50pd for hitting a couple computer buttons writing couple of receipts on paper it took him 5mins and all he done was bitch about the wee gun IVE been dealing with this dealer for years too

I think for rifle stuff it is particularly bad for RFDs as they get price shopped and so I feel bad for them

You feel bad because people have he audacity to shop around? No business has an intrinsic right to exist, RFDs are more protected than most and it is possible to be honest competitive and offer good service just very very rare and that should not be the case!

If good ones are failing and bad ones persisting then the market wants rubbish service, poor advice and inflated prices...

Technical questions do seem to be frowned upon, out of interest what is the benefit 8-9 twist over 12?

You feel bad because people have he audacity to shop around? No business has an intrinsic right to exist, RFDs are more protected than most and it is possible to be honest competitive and offer good service just very very rare and that should not be the case!

If good ones are failing and bad ones persisting then the market wants rubbish service, poor advice and inflated prices...

Technical questions do seem to be frowned upon, out of interest what is the benefit 8-9 twist over 12?

Hi HDAV, that's not quite what I meant. I did hear from an RFD the other day how someone stood in his shop the other day and was on guntrader comparing prices and that I don't think is so great.

Twist rates - you can shoot, heavier, longer, bullets in fast-twist barrels so if you want to shoot at longer ranges they can help

Hi HDAV, that's not quite what I meant. I did hear from an RFD the other day how someone stood in his shop the other day and was on guntrader comparing prices and that I don't think is so great.

Twist rates - you can shoot, heavier, longer, bullets in fast-twist barrels so if you want to shoot at longer ranges they can help

Why not, fact is customer was in his shop, if he can't justify his pricing then he has no chance...... I regularly check prices when I am out, doesn't matter what it is, car dealers are still around after years of autotrader, we have a saying at work that a salesman who can only sell on price isn't a salesman. Same is true of an RFD if they cannot add any value to the transaction advice, stock holding, service back up etc what is their justified existence ? Being local isn't enough, I have had very positive experiencies where others have vowed never to set foot again, so each consumer has their own priorities and as such there is no recipe for being perfect in retail hence why we have a range of outlets catering to different s customers and their needs and tastes. Edited by HDAV

Why not, fact is customer was in his shop, if he can't justify his pricing then he has no chance...... I regularly check prices when I am out, doesn't matter what it is, car dealers are still around after years of autotrader, we have a saying at work that a salesman who can only sell on price isn't a salesman. Same is true of an RFD if they cannot add any value to the transaction advice, stock holding, service back up etc what is their justified existence ? Being local isn't enough, I have had very positive experiencies where others have vowed never to set foot again, so each consumer has their own priorities and as such there is no recipe for being perfect in retail hence why we have a range of outlets catering to different s customers and their needs and tastes.

Good post. I think one of the problems is that many RFDs have operated in such a niche market for so long that other aspects of customer experience are not considered. The internet means even niche products are much more easily sourced and the power of the sole supplier in town is very much reduced.

I'd have no problem walking into a RFD with my phone on the internet, showing them a gun similar to one they have for a cheaper price elsewhere and asking them to do me a deal.

That's called business. I've had shops say to me "I can't beat that price" and I say fair enough no worries, and others offer me a deal that's not as cheap but is a fair deal so I buy off the local shop instead.

As said it's not always about price.

The same applies when you take a gun or item into your RFD to trade or sell asking for a price and they knock you down on what they'll give you, only for them to give it a little polish or service and stick it on the shelf to sell on hopefully at a profit (yes I know they may spend on it, store it and offer it with a warranty). I don't begrudge any RFD for this, it's just part of the game.

I have one local shop that I would now willingly pay more than to buy from them. I have put several thousand pounds across their counter and yet sometimes welcomed into that shop as though I were the plague and Daesh joined into one.

I don't need a shopkeeper to fawn at my feet, but i do expect civility and not just a grunt or plain being ignored.

On the flip side I went into a local independent tool shop to buy a table saw and mentioned to the guy in the shop that he was £100 more expensive than the cheapest online price (including delivery), he was very candid in that he couldn't match that price, but we had such a good blether I bought it from them anyway.