Mice!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

I've seen them in fields before obviously,  usually along the edges,  but I've never seen behaviour like that before. 

Thats fair enough - i did not mean it to be a disrespectful comment - its just where we shoot they are out in 10 acres of grass in many areas burying their wares 

13 hours ago, jall25 said:

Thats fair enough - i did not mean it to be a disrespectful comment - its just where we shoot they are out in 10 acres of grass in many areas burying their wares 

No problem 👍

I was out again this morning,  at the wood with the disturbance,  only today it was lovely and peaceful,  I went and set up my brolley last night and to see how much feed had gone, about 2/3rds down in 4 days!

I was in the woods for 0615 this morning, squirrels came at 0645, 0700, 0730 (came back at 0745) 0800 and 0820, four shot off the feeder and one that hung back unhappy. 

Screenshot_20230419-095432_Gallery.jpg.1ed00ebce579e1532a17b345a2ba0762.jpg

Where the four landed, the other is behind the two thin trees to the right of the feeder.

Screenshot_20230419-095414_Gallery.jpg.b4389c754b5d503c7b4fe8b92eac4240.jpg

Two does on the left, one milky, skinny male in the middle was mature, but probably been busy.

Then walking out and scanning I spotted another with the thermal,  everything back out and the squirrel still thought it was safe, but I could see an eye and an ear, Pfft Whack drop,  really happy with that shot, and the six.

Screenshot_20230419-095459_Gallery.jpg.75675ff4b046a24173c756aa60272a94.jpg

Another male. 

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

really happy with that shot, and the six

I had a stinker this morning, two greys on the box and I missed both of them  and dont know why as when I checked zero, it was spot on, just one of them days, at least you can hit the target Mice

2 hours ago, ratchers said:

I had a stinker this morning, two greys on the box and I missed both of them  and dont know why as when I checked zero, it was spot on, just one of them days, at least you can hit the target Mice

Not good mate, what rifle are you using?

@Mice!, your exploits have finally spurred me on to action!

In fairness, the weather has been dreadful this last month, constant rain/drizzle, overnight frost and cold winds. The snow only melted on the tops this Sunday. My 3 feeders still haven’t been touched but greys are now starting to feed on the buds.

Wednesday, I was out at 6.45 at my nearest permission, which is riddled with footpaths to the local viewpoint, 2 joggers were all ready on their way down! The oak leaves had all suddenly dried and it was crunch, crunch, crunch with every step. 
Cutting a long story short, I didn’t see a grey for an hour, lots of rabbits, roes, tree creepers and a few spotted woodpeckers (& lots more joggers disturbing the wildlife ). One chap rain up and down to the summit 4 times- he certainly glowed on the thermal!

At 7.45, I shot the first grey with the.410 hushpower, quickly followed by another, both female. Unusually both were sitting nicely. I could have shot another but it wasn’t safe, By then, the holiday walkers were arriving , so it was back to the car.

Yesterday, a female trapped and dispatched

This morning, I was back at 7.15, same routine (without the joggers), 2 shot and one easy shot that couldn’t be taken.

Next time I go, I will take the air rifle and stay longer.

Glad you lads are out and about because what with my hip preventing me walking more than 10yrds without pain and two of my best feeders now impossible to get at due to refurb of the pond and prep for a maize crop this year. May get back at that in late autumn.  Apart from my own ground here which I class as tre rat free I only have one feeder now which I can access.  Plan to move a couple to new sites where I can get at them with the car.  Keep whacking and stacking.

On 19/04/2023 at 18:36, Mice! said:

Not good mate, what rifle are you using?

I normally shoot a HW100K which is great but for this wood which has open access to the public with footpaths,not that they always stick to the paths I shoot a Edgun Leshiy,even though I have permission some members of the public are not very polite, so after being reported once for carrying the HW100 even though it was in a slip and getting chased up by the Police, I now have the Leshiy which is nice and discreet as it folds up in to a rucksack, I can walk to the feeding box unmolested and feel more or less relaxed.

Edited by ratchers
added a bit

7 hours ago, Sciurus said:

@Mice!, your exploits have finally spurred me on to action!

In fairness, the weather has been dreadful this last month, constant rain/drizzle, overnight frost and cold winds. The snow only melted on the tops this Sunday. My 3 feeders still haven’t been touched but greys are now starting to feed on the buds.

Wednesday, I was out at 6.45 at my nearest permission, which is riddled with footpaths to the local viewpoint, 2 joggers were all ready on their way down! The oak leaves had all suddenly dried and it was crunch, crunch, crunch with every step. 
Cutting a long story short, I didn’t see a grey for an hour, lots of rabbits, roes, tree creepers and a few spotted woodpeckers (& lots more joggers disturbing the wildlife ). One chap rain up and down to the summit 4 times- he certainly glowed on the thermal!

At 7.45, I shot the first grey with the.410 hushpower, quickly followed by another, both female. Unusually both were sitting nicely. I could have shot another but it wasn’t safe, By then, the holiday walkers were arriving , so it was back to the car.

Yesterday, a female trapped and dispatched

This morning, I was back at 7.15, same routine (without the joggers), 2 shot and one easy shot that couldn’t be taken.

Next time I go, I will take the air rifle and stay longer.

Nicely done mate 👍 

2 hours ago, ratchers said:

I normally shoot a HW100K which is great but for this wood which has open access to the public with footpaths,not that they always stick to the paths I shoot a Edgun Leshiy,even though I have permission some members of the public are not very polite, so after being reported once for carrying the HW100 even though it was in a slip and getting chased up by the Police, I now have the Leshiy which is nice and discreet as it folds up in to a rucksack, I can walk to the feeding box unmolested and feel more or less relaxed.

I don't know a lot about the Leshiy, I was wondering if your first couple of shots missed because of low power or something similar,  might be worth dry firing a few shots into the bag before you set off.

And they certainly don't stick to footpaths 😡

On 18/04/2023 at 15:10, jall25 said:

Squirrels will go into the fields quite a lot actually Mice 

Yep. Here they quite happily cross open sheep grazed grass for 100 yes if the mood takes them. Also seem to be happy playing kiss chase in the open but always on their terms.

I consistently fail to lure them out of a wood onto my feeder 5 yes outside but linked via the canopies. 

Go figure?

I arrived at my favourite permission bang on 7am, the sun was out, the birds were singing, it was 5degrees and boy was the east wind cold.

On entering the estate, I always check the Lodge garden as they feed the birds (& hate greys). Blow me there was a grey running along their wall, however I decided it was too early in the morning to shoot it with the shotgun and possibly upset the tenant. (Memo to self - bring an air rifle as well next time).😡

The first wood, normally has one or two greys but didn’t see a thing. What it did have was loads of tree creepers running up and down the trees everywhere. The wind was coming straight off the lake and was very uncomfortable.

On to the next wood, again full of bird song but a distinct lack of greys. There was a roe curled up in front of me as I got closer to photograph it

CB8216FB-8EBB-4C0D-894C-0F07BDC0322B.jpeg.f1ea7d0b59c2ae68c9ff953d317f6664.jpeg

I spotted movement in the canopy above- 2 greys chasing each other, I took the photo and then waited for a suitable shot. After messing about playing hide and seek they were straight down the trunk, not an easy shot but I fired just as one slowed down to reach the ground - a large male. Unfortunately, I didn’t see the other grey to have a shot at it.

On to the third wood, this used to be very popular with the greys, but Storm Arwen destroyed most of the mature oaks and beeches and the greys deserted it. However I was in luck, there was a grey sitting up on the ground about 25yards away. As this wood was close to the main house, I had subsonics in the hushpower.410. I took the shot, but instead of rolling over dead, it ran at high speed towards me and up into a yew. I couldn’t believe it, I couldn’t/shouldn’t have missed but possibly subsonics are at the end of their effective range at that distance ? I must have hit it as it didn’t clear off and I soon spotted a shoulder with the thermal about 20 ft above me and took another shot. Instead of immediately dropping, it began that violent shaking for 20 seconds before dropping stone dead. Looking at the carcass, all one side was peppered with shot the full length of its body. One can only marvel at how tough these creatures are. This time a large female.

I did finally check out the Lodge garden but the grey had gone.

A slightly disappointing morning, I guess most greys were not venturing out because of the cold.

1 hour ago, Sciurus said:

slightly disappointing morning, I guess most greys were not venturing out because of the cold.

Still two less mate, at an important time of the year, and it certainly was fresh this morning so I don't doubt the wind kept them tucked up till later. 

Maybe of interest habit wise?

Out again this morning for 4 hours, nice and sunny but very keen cold wind.

The couple that showed in the tops at 80yds+ were going  flat out from place to  place?

Many more were on the ground but despite being more leisurely, unshootable with air due to being  behind 2 wire fences and in heavy brash. Very frustrating.

5 hours ago, old man said:

Maybe of interest habit wise?

Out again this morning for 4 hours, nice and sunny but very keen cold wind.

The couple that showed in the tops at 80yds+ were going  flat out from place to  place?

Many more were on the ground but despite being more leisurely, unshootable with air due to being  behind 2 wire fences and in heavy brash. Very frustrating.

I went out last night putting cameras up, one was a bust, wrong angle and the sun made it really hard to see anything. 

The other had 80 images send showed squirrels from 7-7 ,plus pheasant and pigeons helping themselves,  need to dort that, both feeders down from just yesterday so I'm out tomorrow. 

We’ve got a trapping fortnight just started in a local private wood. Two days have produced 14 greys. 12 male and just two female. 
Just been out in another wood this morning and a single male grey, from a feeder that’s been out in the woods for at least 5 years. Not a nibble on the timber, because it has a plastic liner. Still doing the business.

Also two Reds doing a mating chase around another nearby tree.

IMG_3460.jpeg

IMG_3459.jpeg

Edited by Fisheruk

16 hours ago, Mice! said:

I went out last night putting cameras up, one was a bust, wrong angle and the sun made it really hard to see anything. 

The other had 80 images send showed squirrels from 7-7 ,plus pheasant and pigeons helping themselves,  need to dort that, both feeders down from just yesterday so I'm out tomorrow. 

It's all gone mammaries up here since the new un climbable stock fence at this location. For some unfathomable reason I can't get them to use the feeders here?

Out again tomorrow.

7 hours ago, old man said:

It's all gone mammaries up here since the new un climbable stock fence at this location. For some unfathomable reason I can't get them to use the feeders here?

Out again tomorrow.

Very odd, some of my feeders are only just getting going? Are they on the buds instead?

So I was heading into the woods at 06:30 this morning,  a good few degrees warmer than the day before and hoping the squirrels weren't already on the feeder.

I was in position and settled when the first squirrel came in about 6:45, it was my first youngster this year, it bounced around,  took some feed off the platform,  twitchy twitchy,  but didn't lift the lid, then it was off up the tree and away!

The next was ten minutes later, straight up onto the feeder, took a nut and turned it's back on me! It's tail totally obscured any shot, I waited, it took another morsel and didn't turn as far, Pfft Whack drop. 

Another went through the Yew behind but never looked at the feeder, then one, possibly the same one came back up the wall alongside the feeder tree.

It had a really good look around,  sniffed at the fallen squirrel then hoped up to the feeder, it didn't seem to take anything but jumped off and back to the wall, I didn't wait,  Pfft Whack drop. 

I think the last came around half 8, it came from up the wall again,  it's normally from up the hill they come? This one acted odd as well, unhappy about the dead squirrel on the floor, it sniffed, messed around then went to leave to the right, but paused on the bank lip, Pfft Whack flip. 

I should have packed straight away and headed to the second feeder, but I waited a while, nothing else showed so I packed up a took a walk.

I might rename this wood TICK Wood. 

Screenshot_20230426-103703_Gallery.jpg.7bf2a1b4b2542186b7736ec0ad1646a4.jpg

Two males and a female, two covered in Ticks. 

Screenshot_20230426-103653_Gallery.jpg.a22f6c7102021630f4032e04fe9b41d2.jpg

The other was worse, but the ticks were smaller and everywhere 🤢🤢

This was the bag even I got home, now double bagged and wrapped in the bin, most small black dots will be ticks.

Screenshot_20230426-193018_Gallery.jpg.2cb13cf8d013bc7f51939d810f475225.jpg

I did shoot another, but it dropped out the tree and vanished down a steep banking,  the foxes can find that one, but the sun was out so it was a short walk.

I then had a while at the other feeder, never saw anything but looking at the camera there were squirrels earlier on so I could have shot either.

Then I went to check the new feeders, well one. I ended up moving it near an old wall, the squirrels always use these so it makes sense,  but I must have spent two hours deciding where to put it again 😅😅

Another good day out.

17 hours ago, Mice! said:

Very odd, some of my feeders are only just getting going? Are they on the buds instead?

So I was heading into the woods at 06:30 this morning,  a good few degrees warmer than the day before and hoping the squirrels weren't already on the feeder.

I was in position and settled when the first squirrel came in about 6:45, it was my first youngster this year, it bounced around,  took some feed off the platform,  twitchy twitchy,  but didn't lift the lid, then it was off up the tree and away!

The next was ten minutes later, straight up onto the feeder, took a nut and turned it's back on me! It's tail totally obscured any shot, I waited, it took another morsel and didn't turn as far, Pfft Whack drop. 

Another went through the Yew behind but never looked at the feeder, then one, possibly the same one came back up the wall alongside the feeder tree.

It had a really good look around,  sniffed at the fallen squirrel then hoped up to the feeder, it didn't seem to take anything but jumped off and back to the wall, I didn't wait,  Pfft Whack drop. 

I think the last came around half 8, it came from up the wall again,  it's normally from up the hill they come? This one acted odd as well, unhappy about the dead squirrel on the floor, it sniffed, messed around then went to leave to the right, but paused on the bank lip, Pfft Whack flip. 

I should have packed straight away and headed to the second feeder, but I waited a while, nothing else showed so I packed up a took a walk.

I might rename this wood TICK Wood. 

Screenshot_20230426-103703_Gallery.jpg.7bf2a1b4b2542186b7736ec0ad1646a4.jpg

Two males and a female, two covered in Ticks. 

Screenshot_20230426-103653_Gallery.jpg.a22f6c7102021630f4032e04fe9b41d2.jpg

The other was worse, but the ticks were smaller and everywhere 🤢🤢

This was the bag even I got home, now double bagged and wrapped in the bin, most small black dots will be ticks.

Screenshot_20230426-193018_Gallery.jpg.2cb13cf8d013bc7f51939d810f475225.jpg

I did shoot another, but it dropped out the tree and vanished down a steep banking,  the foxes can find that one, but the sun was out so it was a short walk.

I then had a while at the other feeder, never saw anything but looking at the camera there were squirrels earlier on so I could have shot either.

Then I went to check the new feeders, well one. I ended up moving it near an old wall, the squirrels always use these so it makes sense,  but I must have spent two hours deciding where to put it again 😅😅

Another good day out.

A good day!

Mine was more of the same, a vile cold wind. I only saw 1 at 80yds, it raced vertically not stopping into a drey 40 feet up in a fork. 😀

Highlight of the day, a couple of Hares lopped to within 20 feet before winding me and hopping it.

Just keeping on.

Edited by old man

On 27/04/2023 at 20:38, Mice! said:

I've never really had any luck when there's a cold wind, I always think they just stay tucked away till later.

They'll come back onto your feeders at some point. 

It;s very odd at this location, I had a feeder inside the woodland edge within 10 yds of the present one. They used to use the in woodland location freely, was a real magnet. once moved outside it's totally ignored for some reason? A new un climbable fence caused the move. Brash on the floor a problem too. Now using the Xtra so range not a problem to 70 yds backstops permitting.

Assembling some lightweight non lead for a trial to look for any advantages?

4 hours ago, old man said:

It;s very odd at this location, I had a feeder inside the woodland edge within 10 yds of the present one. They used to use the in woodland location freely, was a real magnet. once moved outside it's totally ignored for some reason? A new un climbable fence caused the move. Brash on the floor a problem too. Now using the Xtra so range not a problem to 70 yds backstops permitting.

Assembling some lightweight non lead for a trial to look for any advantages?

It is odd that, you wouldn't think such a short move would affect things, could you not move the feeder to a clear spot?

As for non lead, I just wouldn't bother for at range, but it'll still be interesting to see how you get on.

4 minutes ago, Mice! said:

It is odd that, you wouldn't think such a short move would affect things, could you not move the feeder to a clear spot?

As for non lead, I just wouldn't bother for at range, but it'll still be interesting to see how you get on.

No, it's on the only adjacent location.

Just looking for any advantages at 30ftlb? Will let you know.