squirrel control

Mice!

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I should hope you didn't after all the hard work I've put in.  You should have said, tea pot always on and just 20 mins off the M6 or 10 off the M42.

Further over towards Peterborough at a family wedding,  lovely spot but never enough time,  cracking weekend though 😁

If I get down near you I'm definitely coming for a brew 😊

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/04/2022 at 16:00, Mice! said:

The data can't be the same because you have shot 50 from the wood, then left it to return to normal for a month,  they'll have trapped 30-40 normally because it was the only time anything was done?

Fella on the Agf was trapping last week because his numbers are so low, he's taken 240+ now from a wood over 12 months, using feeders and cameras to monitor the numbers and times they are visiting, when the visits are low across a couple of feeders he puts out traps, but he still managed 11 last week.

https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/bagged-a-few-greys-this-week-no-shooting-though.378154/

We just want to compare how many trapped traditionally after shooting for the year as opposed to the pre-shooting time. Nothing more- nothing less.

Out this morning before dawn. Sitting on a picnic bench in the wood 50 metres away from a tree with a bird feeder. Two Red squirrels came for a feed, shortly followed by a female grey, which chased the Reds off. The grey then sat down on the ground at the base of the tree for it’s last meal. 10 minutes later a larger greys male arrives and obligingly sat in the same spot, same result. Hopefully the Reds will be able to enjoy their food undisturbed, for a while without being bullied.

13CEB960-77E0-4BC9-A422-11D127062216.jpeg

A54644F0-BECE-4F42-AA52-3661443AF7A6.jpeg

Edited by Fisheruk

Another two from the trapping session on the Conservation wood this week.

That’s five in total over two weeks and 120 trap days.

Previous years averaged 40 in the trapping fortnight, but since last year’s trapping I have been shooting the 100 acres of wood to a single feeder position.

It shows that persistent shooting to a feeder can get the numbers down and keep the numbers down. 

I’ll be putting the lift top feeder back this week and wait to see when I get the next off the feeder.

Beautiful morning out in the woods. Having removed a few greys from this wood recently, no greys appeared this morning, but three Reds on the same tree at the same time. Managed to capture two in one picture by the bird feeder. Interesting difference in colour. Then the Pheasant appeared. Photos not too clear as they were taken from 50 metres away.

D6BBCDFC-824C-4C14-A5A4-F47BC99CDF65.jpeg

95169FC8-44B9-42E6-90D7-2EAD5D0A795C.jpeg

Edited by Fisheruk

Still not seeing any greys in the woods but in the last ten days I got 2 reports of greys in gardens.

The first was from a chap that has a trap every year. A simple job, just plonk the trap on a drystone wall, weigh it down with stone , scatter some bait and wait for the call... (Drystone walls are like motorways to reds and greys to get from A to B). A large female was caught within 24 hrs and the male 2 days later.

588BA499-D139-43CF-88AE-E0360348CD95.jpeg.996de7058e0f3ce9bedd1b469b79bea5.jpeg

The same week a lady complained that a grey with no tail was eating the buds on her japonica and came  @ 7.30 am every day. She didn’t like traps and insisted that I come and shoot it. I don’t normally like shooting in gardens ( too many variables), anyway the next two mornings I sat in her back bedroom for a couple of hours drinking tea and didn’t see a thing. Of course the grey was seen as soon as I left.

Anyway, I persuaded her to look after two traps and next day, thankfully  we caught Mrs No Tail. I then left the traps for a few more days, just in case there was another grey even though she had only seen No Tail.

7am, next day I got a text “I can’t believe it it, we have caught another grey!” Followed 5 minutes later by” OMG, there is a third!”. By the time, I got to the house, we had trapped the third and the owner was highly delighted and wanted to know what the special ingredient was in the bait. “It’s a secret, I said but I call it Walkers revenge!”

F8D94434-0108-432A-984E-EC58F837D795.jpeg.c68c619f8a109156bda89ebe898387d9.jpegCA790C37-B396-461A-BC5E-5FDEE7C2004E.jpeg.10e211f921aa8306aa880dabe98cb079.jpeg

14 hours ago, Sciurus said:

7am, next day I got a text “I can’t believe it it, we have caught another grey!” Followed 5 minutes later by” OMG, there is a third!”. B

Good work mate, I'm glad your saying its quiet I feel better not having been out recently,  but I'll be topping up later, gunless which probably means there'll be loads 😅

On 11/04/2022 at 10:55, Mice! said:

I'm sure we say the same thing every year, I took 81 out of big wood last year, and this year only 14 to date, most of us on here are well on top of the greys and the few females that are around will be staying close to there dreys feeding young.

I'm seeing some posts still of people taking threes and fours, another fella regularly taking double figures, probably depends on the ground you're covering and how much control has been done already.

Saw the same thing 2 days ago, was attracted to a recently shot drey by cascading leaves. It eventually came down towards Nevilles' potion and met the AA field in 22.

Well took the plunge and spent £20s worth of fuel and went to the golf course this morning. Got parked up in view of the feeder just as light was coning up. Sat for three hours and saw a single high in the tree tops on a mission. Nothing came to the feeder and it had only been slightly used in the last two weeks.  I was happy about my not being seen sat in the Landy as I had a fox stroll by at almost touching distance and a magpie tantalisng sat for a minute or two 20yrds away.

Went to check the other two feeders and one had been hit hard so topped that off and topped up the other where a couple of double handfuls had gone in two weeks. Not a single tree rat seen on the deck anywhere, wherehas nine months ago I would see a dozen or more run in off the 18th fairway into the big house gardens alongside.

I've done too good a job obviously.  Groundsmans very happy and that is all that matters.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Well took the plunge and spent £20s worth of fuel and went to the golf course this morning. Got parked up in view of the feeder just as light was coning up. Sat for three hours and saw a single high in the tree tops on a mission. Nothing came to the feeder and it had only been slightly used in the last two weeks.  I was happy about my not being seen sat in the Landy as I had a fox stroll by at almost touching distance and a magpie tantalisng sat for a minute or two 20yrds away.

Went to check the other two feeders and one had been hit hard so topped that off and topped up the other where a couple of double handfuls had gone in two weeks. Not a single tree rat seen on the deck anywhere, wherehas nine months ago I would see a dozen or more run in off the 18th fairway into the big house gardens alongside.

I've done too good a job obviously.  Groundsmans very happy and that is all that matters.

Well done Nev. I was out at daybreak, getting ever earlier these days. Into the conservation wood. Only saw a single Red on the feeder. No greys came in my two hour stint. Like you the feeders aren’t being used a lot. Yes, we’ve certainly thinned out the greys. The owner of this wood is certainly chuffed to have the Reds established.

We need to just keep at it.  Unfortunately there is no LPG  anywhere in my vicinity....well anywhere ...so my trips to Lincolnshire are on hold, just too expensive to travel there £70 to £100 in fuel minimum.  In fact that trip 40 miles this morning probably cost me over £20.    I could do two days in Linconshire ..stay over.. but then there is an added £40-£50 accommodation.   I will have to just concentrate on the locals.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

We need to just keep at it.  Unfortunately there is no LPG  anywhere in my vicinity....well anywhere ...so my trips to Lincolnshire are on hold, just too expensive to travel there £70 to £100 in fuel minimum.  In fact that trip 40 miles this morning probably cost me over £20.    I could do two days in Linconshire ..stay over.. but then there is an added £40-£50 accommodation.   I will have to just concentrate on the locals.

You need to resurrect your old skills and get a motorbike, Nev.

You would be scooting around knocking the greys off and enjoying the trip!