Knife Steel

walshie

I'm looking at getting a half decent knife for Xmas. The one I'm interested in comes in 3 steels. O1, M2 or D2.

I know D2 is the most stain resistant, but apart from that I don't really know the difference.

It will be used for a bit of everything. Can anyone please explain the pros and cons? Ta.

O2 is pretty good steel, tool steel, takes and holds a ready edge and easy to sharpen. Only down side is that it'll rust if it's left wet in a bag for a fortnight. It'll clean up easily though. Stainless is good too, but harder to sharpen but otherwise lower maintenance, can be brittle if the heat treatment isn't spot on. 

Personally, for a general purpose O2 works for me. I do have a couple of stainless bladed knives, laminate powder steel falkniven knives bought 2nd hand. One a folder kept in my pocket, the other fixed bladed knife lives in my fishing bag and doubles as a blade & priest. 

There can be issues with carbon steel and food prep, however if one preps the blade; clean it shiny dry it and wipe it over with veg oil and it'll be good for making sandwiches through to butchering a beast.   

33 minutes ago, Uilleachan said:

O2 is pretty good steel, tool steel, takes and holds a ready edge and easy to sharpen. Only down side is that it'll rust if it's left wet in a bag for a fortnight. It'll clean up easily though. Stainless is good too, but harder to sharpen but otherwise lower maintenance, can be brittle if the heat treatment isn't spot on. 

Personally, for a general purpose O2 works for me. I do have a couple of stainless bladed knives, laminate powder steel falkniven knives bought 2nd hand. One a folder kept in my pocket, the other fixed bladed knife lives in my fishing bag and doubles as a blade & priest. 

There can be issues with carbon steel and food prep, however if one preps the blade; clean it shiny dry it and wipe it over with veg oil and it'll be good for making sandwiches through to butchering a beast.   

Thanks for that. The knife I''m looking at does come in stainless, but I've got stainless blades of various types already. I think I'll go with the O1. :good:

the hardness of the steel will depend on the heat treatment / temper temperature not the steel type 

some steels are capable of reaching higher levels of hardness than others 

for general use I like o1 it can be a very tough steel with good edge retention , but remember a knifes only as good as the heat treatment 

if you go for o1 just make sure you dry it before storing it will get a wonderful patina with use over time 

With any blade but more so with 01, I don't harden the whole blade. I take the blade to the right temp., and then just roll the 1/2 to 3/4 inch or so of the cutting edge in that depth of veg oil. I find it leaves the spine flexible but hardens the important part of the blade.

Edited by Walker570