Cleaning a rifle barrel

steve_b_wales

Cleaning a barrel is like peeling an onion. Remove carbon, remove copper, then more carbon to clean then copper,and so on,tried butches bore shine,g96,wipe in and out with accelerator, kg products, they are all very similar but I like kg then butches then g96. In that order, clean until you think it's clean then bronze brush it and start again. Apparently that bore foam left in over night is supposed to be good but I bet it's the same as the rest. 

If you do find a product that cleans a barrel to the metal with less than 10 patches give me a shout.

21 minutes ago, Albert 888 said:

Cleaning a barrel is like peeling an onion. Remove carbon, remove copper, then more carbon to clean then copper,and so on,tried butches bore shine,g96,wipe in and out with accelerator, kg products, they are all very similar but I like kg then butches then g96. In that order, clean until you think it's clean then bronze brush it and start again. Apparently that bore foam left in over night is supposed to be good but I bet it's the same as the rest. 

If you do find a product that cleans a barrel to the metal with less than 10 patches give me a shout.

Thanks for the info'. I've started to clean the barrel with '009' until I get something a bit stronger. What are the 'KG' products?

8 hours ago, Graham M said:

Thanks. :good:

15 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I’ve got the KG stuff and need to give mine another go - I did try recently but the patches didn’t come out fully clean when finished. 

Bit awkward in living room, got a garage in new House going to have a nice area to do a proper job! 

I'm going to order the KG1 and probably the KG12 as well. It's about time I gave my rifles some TLC.

Use KG products for rifles and very pleased with the results. Normal size bottle is 4floz but I now buy the larger sized 32floz bottles of both KG1 and KG12 from Swillington Shooting Supplies.

The prices seem high but when you actually it work out the bigger bottles offer a great saving. If you don’t think you will use that much yourself you could share the cost with a shooting buddy.

Links below.

http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/9700/KG1-Carbon-Remover/.  No price on this page for the bigger bottle but it says it is available.

http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/14916/KG12-Big-Bore-Cleaner-Bulk/#

Hope this helps.

And as a target shooter of some 40 years I would agree totally. Two warming/cleaning shots and then straight onto the sighter.:good:

Clean the bore about every two years, or if something seem a bit amiss, otherwise why ruin a good set-up and then have to shoot it back in again. 

Target rifles aren't like hunting rifles where "slightly off by half and inch" doesn't matter too much

Edited by Graham M

On 24/11/2017 at 16:32, Dekers said:

I'm always a little confused by this subject.  I have been using Hoppes #9 for as long as I can remember but it most certainly changed in aroma some years back.

I wish I did know what was best for this issue!

I've just received the KG1(Carbon remover) and KG12 (Copper solvent) so will be trying them on one of my rifles soon. I've also just watched a video on Youtube, showing the difference between Hoppes 009 and KG1. The KG1 was much better.

I've used 009 since the 1980's, esprcially when cleaning my full bore pistols, and it 'did the job', but I think this KG stuff is going to be better. I might even conduct a test myself to see just how good it is.

UPDATE:

The KG1 /KG12 arrived two days ago. Yesterday, I decided to clean my 243 which has not had the barrel cleaned for at least two years, and has had many bullets put through it, although it is still accurate. I started by using the KG1 carbon remover and put a few soaked patches through the barrel. I was somewhat disappointed to see the patches not as dirty as I thought they would be, so I let some of the KG1 soak inside the barrel. Same result, patches slightly dirty but not as much as I predicted.

I then tried the KG12 copper solvent, and left it soak in the barrel. The patches came out reasonably clean, and the barrel does look better. I will now put a few rounds through it before re-zeroing with my NV scope.

I have tried all sorts over the years. then i was put on to KG and used that for awhile. same results as you Steve. patches that should have come out dirty, even with an over night soak, just didnt happen.

I switched to Wipe out and Patch out, Accelerator and Tactical Advantage. i was very happy with the results. that was until i bought a bore scope, now im not so sure. 

On new rifles, i clean and it seams to make it easier to control build up. but on secondhand. oh my days, i have one rifle that i have been soaking every night for the last 5 days and still not shifting. i do have another chemical i use but its i little strong and its used sparingly. i will not publicise as i dont what people using it, messing up and then blaming me for things not going right.lol

i have some photos that ones i have finished, ill show the before and afters and then how long things took but im still sticking with wipe-out

After all the ammunition I put through my 243, without cleaning it, I was surprised, as mentioned, that the patches didn't come out dirtier. Was this because the barrel wasn't that bad, or was it because the KG1 wasn't that good? I watched a demonstration on Youtube, where a guy burned some powder on a circular saw blade, and then tried various chemical's to remove the residue. KG1 came out on top.

I'm now tempted to scrub the barrel with a phosphur bronze brush soaked in Kg1 and see if that removes any more. I don't have a bore scope to check the barrel.