Help with identification

Gordon R

I've got 2 of them in my drill bit set. I've never used them but I believe they are for screwing plasterboard. Just a way to make a 48 piece drill bit set a 50 piece set IMO. They are labelled as "plastic finders" in my set. 

Edited by walshie

I believe the universal consensus is that they are utterly useless and serve no real practical purpose at all.

My own personal suspicion is that somewhere in the world a product designer is howling with laughter for they included the mystical plastic finder into a multi-bit set just for fun to see what the reaction would be and since then they have been copied religiously and distributed by the millions, yet nobody can figure out any useful purpose.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

they look like for holding hence the raised up parts for grip, does the chamfer tool fit in them? Or anything else in the set?

They are supposed to be for holding screws in to help keep the screw driver centered on the screw, especially slotted screws, but as Gordon points out for the multi-bit sets they are the wrong size.

• 2 weeks later...

Its what thy call a slotted screw finder. 

taken from another site

1.Set the part that will hold the bit that will tighten the screw into the screwdriver.

2.Insert the screw finder into the screwdriver leaving the thinner part facing the mandrel.

3.Place the screw at the point that will be fixed with the head inside the screw finder.

4. Press the screwdriver until the tip of the bit touches the screw head.

5.Turn the screwdriver until the screw tightens enough to continue the work with more firmness and safety