Browning Heritage II

tomaddy525

Does anybody out here shoot with one of these? I like the feel of the Sporter version and they are certainly beautiful but I can't find much online about how they hold up over time?

I know a lot of people will say to get an EELL but I just don't like them, never shot a single beretta that I have liked! I also can't decide wether I can justify to myself the extra money for the Heritage when the 725 G5 sporter and MK38 G5 Teague are both lovely guns...

Is there anything else in that market area I should be considering??

I shot one for a day when I was looking for a new gun and really liked it but i am a browning fan.

i went for a mint B2G which was the same prices as a new heritage.

a friend has one and has had it for 3 or 4 years and must be out 3 or 4 times a week with it and shoots a lot of steel through it with no issues.

If you like Brownings, buy a proper one and spend the money on a B25, if you buy a well looked after example it will hold its value and the handling is second to none. As `archi` has indicated, you could get a nice B grade for the price of a Heritage and you will have something that is hand finished, hand engraved and properly balance rather than something that is the result of being churned out in Japan on CNC machinery.

1 hour ago, JJsDad said:

If you like Brownings, buy a proper one and spend the money on a B25, if you buy a well looked after example it will hold its value and the handling is second to none. As `archi` has indicated, you could get a nice B grade for the price of a Heritage and you will have something that is hand finished, hand engraved and properly balance rather than something that is the result of being churned out in Japan on CNC machinery.

So who made your Browning B25 ? 

Seeing as browning don’t actually make anything themselves.  Weren’t the B25’s made in Belgium by FN Herstal. Good guns and well made but not without faults. 

Find a gun you like the look of the feel of and can afford. That will be the best gun for you. 

16 minutes ago, figgy said:

Seeing as browning don’t actually make anything themselves.  Weren’t the B25’s made in Belgium by FN Herstal. Good guns and well made but not without faults. 

Find a gun you like the look of the feel of and can afford. That will be the best gun for you. 

This. I can never understand why some feel the need to belittle the choices of others. There are many thousands of thousands of ‘churned out’ Japanese made Brownings and Mirokus out there giving sterling service, and will do well into the next generation of shooters.

They are popular for a reason. 

Scully you are perfectly right in what you say. A good CNC made gun will have very tight tolerances. Yet people believe they are inferior, one that has been fettled by hand inside all/any burrs removes and triggers sorted will be a very good gun. Many have gave very good service for years and it’s why the action hasn’t changed. It just works and people like it. 

2 hours ago, figgy said:

1 hour ago, Scully said:

This. I can never understand why some feel the need to belittle the choices of others. There are many thousands of thousands of ‘churned out’ Japanese made Brownings and Mirokus out there giving sterling service, and will do well into the next generation of shooters.

They are popular for a reason. 

55 minutes ago, BrowningDJC said:

The heritage are lovely guns but for value for money nothing beats an mk38 grade 5. 

Couldn't agree more with these comments. I went for an MK70 Grade 6, which I shot a few times before settling on it. It's a beautiful gun that handles well for me, I really enjoy being out with it and hit birds often enough to be happy with it.

12 minutes ago, itchy trigger said:

pal shoots a heritage, he likes it when its not back in the shop with the triggers, I prefer the slimmer look and feel of the beauchamp, then again I own a 725 s3

Could you elaborate on this please? Are they dodgy or is he just getting them adjusted? Would love a beauchamp but then we're taking double the money of a Heritage

Edited by tomaddy525

22 hours ago, tomaddy525 said:

Does anybody out here shoot with one of these? I like the feel of the Sporter version and they are certainly beautiful but I can't find much online about how they hold up over time?

I know a lot of people will say to get an EELL but I just don't like them, never shot a single beretta that I have liked! I also can't decide wether I can justify to myself the extra money for the Heritage when the 725 G5 sporter and MK38 G5 Teague are both lovely guns...

Is there anything else in that market area I should be considering??

DT10 L game scene. Different animal to a 68 series eell.

Edited by jasper682

3 hours ago, Gunman said:

Sorry to disagree but I think they are an ugly gun with no saving graces or style . Compare one to a B25 Custom grade , then go and get a good B25  B2G or above .

If that relates to my post it's a curious comment, the first sentence is merely your opinion. As far as the second sentence is concerned you'd be comparing guns in very different price ranges.

1 hour ago, tomaddy525 said:

Could you elaborate on this please? Are they dodgy or is he just getting them adjusted? Would love a beauchamp but then we're taking double the money of a Heritage

seems to have a problem with it not firing the second barrel, to be honest don't know if its the gun or him, he has had it a few years now, does a lot of shooting in the season, I would have got shut.

there was talk of a problem with these but don't know if that is the issue here

good and easy option 725 grade 5, best of all worlds but second to an EELL

just thought on, the reason I prefer the Beretta's when game shooting is the ejectors lift the unfired cartridges higher so they are easy to get hold of when unloading the gun, after using Beretta's for years found the 725 fiddly with cold hands

Edited by itchy trigger
afterthought

58 minutes ago, malmick said:

If that relates to my post it's a curious comment, the first sentence is merely your opinion. As far as the second sentence is concerned you'd be comparing guns in very different price ranges.

For the price of a Heritage you can get a good second had B25.

4 hours ago, Gunman said:

Sorry to disagree but I think they are an ugly gun with no saving graces or style .

But that’s just personal opinion/ preference. I feel the same about most Berettas but I can’t knock them or anyone for choosing one, because when all’s said and done they are good guns and popular ( like mass produced Brownings and Mirokus ) for good reason.

Back in the early 70's, the word 'Sporter' had'nt been thought of and if you wanted an O/U you either bought a 28" O/U or a 30" with a slightly
higher comb, about 3/4 and full choke and called it a 'Trap Gun'
I bought a new Browning Standard they called it, plain straight grain walnut, half pistol grip as they called it then 1/2 and full, a few Acanthus leaves engraved on it all in a cardboard box for £205.
b and c grades were about, but you rarely saw them amongst the lads  and as for the d grades, you had to look at them in a book.
My gun is stiil about, now approaching 50 years of moors, mud flats, clays and rough shooting, I stiil see it around occasionally, well abused now by one or two of its probably many owners but a guy who had bought it praised that it ailed nothing in the twenty odd years he had it and he moved it on a few years ago, still making a huge percentage profit on its original sale price.
Now are the grades 1-6 for a nice piece of wood, interchangle chokes, Skeet , Trap, Sporters, Hunters, Field and Game guns, adjustable combs, recoil systems. High ribs It seems today to me, that buying a new gun must depend on several (or many) conditions and much head scratching, has the day of looking at a few guns at a price you can afford, handling then and simply saying 'That will do my job fine'.

Edited by das

5 hours ago, Gunman said:

Sorry to disagree but I think they are an ugly gun with no saving graces or style . Compare one to a B25 Custom grade , then go and get a good B25  B2G or above .

Then get a very nice looker which you  may or may not get on with (but wiil make a nice ornament) or an 'ugly' gun which may do it;s job nicely.

Edited by das

This of course a matter of individual taste . Assuming that you "can get on"with a Heritage , and I have never picked up a B25 that I couldn't handle , and to be fair, if you want an ugly gun then there  are a lot out thereto choose from for a lot less money .

Its your money ,your choice . Maybe  having seen and handled a lot more guns than most on this forum ,  my my personal preferences colour my comments . That I think that is what makes life interesting .:).

In answer to other comments , expressing an opinion is not "belittling " others choice any more than passing a comment on whether a Land Rover or a Toyota better looking .

As to who made my B25 custom ? You are assuming  I own one , the best are done in Belgium by ex Browning  workers in the Browning style and dimensions , as those made in small numbers by Browning . 

Edited by Gunman