Dubarry boots

Scully

Not wanting to divert another thread running on Hunter wellies, but it has me thinking about the above.

A mate in our syndicate has them and he rates them, although he’s only had them less than a year. Anyone on here had/have them? How do you rate them? How practical for us wet weather rough shooters are they? Longevity? 

I have had a pair of them for eight years or so. I don’t wear them every time I am out in the fields but when I do I find them comfortable.

Before I wore them I religiously treated them with a waterproofing leather treatment and I would say they are 100% waterproof.

I purchased a pair from their stand at the Belvoir Game Fair, the one before the last one there, for my wife. She wore them on Saturday in North Lincs and it was seriously muddy and wet. Her feet stayed dry. She has had the sole on one boot glued back on when it showed signs of splitting away but those boots have had a lot of wear. She has a second pair I was very fortunate to win for letter of the month in one of the mags., When they arrived they did not fit well and we contacted their office down in the Cotswolds. They could not have been more helpful and found a slightly different style which fit perfectly. I offered to pay the difference in price but they wouldn't hear of it. I can only say good things about their product and the company. BUT they are not cheap and should be good shouldn't they.

The boots are cleaned thoroughly and when dried treated with leather waterproofer, originally with the company brand and more recently with some excellent stuff I purchased at last years Shooting Show. Like all leather items they need looking after.

Edited by Walker570

They seem ubiquitous among my better halfs female horse riding chums. All rate them highly, though my better half uses Toggi canyon boots at a third of the price but the same expected life, those who use them every day suggest three to five years life from a set.

I would be tempted if they weren't ladies wear in my mind, the only chap I have ever seen in a set was a fabulously gay dressage instructor. 

Edit, a second thought, if she is going to be going into fields or anywhere vaguely slippy it is notable my better half then uses her aigles. 

Edited by Wb123

34 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

I would be tempted if they weren't ladies wear in my mind, the only chap I have ever seen in a set was a fabulously gay dressage instructor. 

Must admit I thought they were a female only dress item, and have only seen one other bloke wearing them. 

I don’t wear wellies anymore as they are expensive and just don’t last, in my experience. I’ve had all makes of wellies and found no difference in their longevity to a greater or lesser degree. 

If Dubarry boots lasted then I’d have no qualms about wearing them, though admittedly they do look much better on women. ?

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Must admit I thought they were a female only dress item, and have only seen one other bloke wearing them. 

I don’t wear wellies anymore as they are expensive and just don’t last, in my experience. I’ve had all makes of wellies and found no difference in their longevity to a greater or lesser degree. 

If Dubarry boots lasted then I’d have no qualms about wearing them, though admittedly they do look much better on women. ?

They have tempted me also, but my better half tells me they are less warm than her aigles, much less grippy  (the soles wear through seems to be the common complaint), but unlike a set of Wellies the soles are good for riding in. Thinking more about how often she slips in them at the yard I'm not that tempted...

Toggis, dubarries, and Dublins are apparently more or less the same thing at different price points. She got five years from her first pair of Toggis but reckons her current set might only last three.

Dublin River are another brand I have heard good things of  -  I have a pair of Dubarry that are extremely comfortable but unfortunately a couple of winters ago when it was extremely wet I failed to treat them as I could never get them dry and this caused some stitching to fail :unhappy: - Too late I found a product I could apply with them damp.

Scully have a look at Guy Ritchie and Beckham shooting they both wear Dubarry boots. My wife has a pair she has worn for walking dogs in the countryside for last five years or so. They are a nice comfortable boot, but they are kept with boot trees in them.

12 hours ago, Scully said:

Four years use and no sign of wear or damage at all. Light and warm too.  Better than any leather boots.

http://www.tannertrading.co.uk/work-footwear/dunlop-purofort-terroir-pro/

I have some goretex full zip Dubarrys, I really like them, once you get past the comments about how butch they are. They’re comfortable, but not warm, so I wear them on wet days in autumn or early in the season, before I swap to my Neoprene Le Chams. Only had them a couple of years and don’t wear them more than a couple of days a week, so can’t comment on longevity, but they still look in good nick. 

Just got my third pair of Toggi Berkley, they last me about 5 months ! Sounds bad? I wear them 6-7 days a week Autumn to Spring,never treat the leather and they get a very hard life at work and get used for shooting, they are as comfortable as a pair of slippers and at £80 incl. delivery on ebay are I think a real bargain.