Local sand quarry proposal

winnie&bezza

https://www.ryarshvillage.co.uk/2017/12/21/ryarsh-proposed-site-3-1m-tonne-sand-quarry-24-years-excavation/

Evening all.

Wanted to get your views on this. My mums house and a house I lived until not long ago, is on the bottom right plot of picture. You can see her garden which has a emerald green shed roof in it and a white upvc conservatory section which I keep meaning to clear. 

My Mum went to the meeting last night at the local village hall where 300 residents voiced there anger against council members. When someone asked about compensation for house devaluation, they said they don’t have to which to me is ridiculous considering how annoyed close by residents are. Surely you’d try and appease them.

They sent out letters to residents regarding proposals on the 19th December. What a thing to do before Christmas.

21 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Lot of sand in your part of the world Mate, perhaps it is time for your mother and her friends to club together and hire some legal advice.

Sorry to hear of this poor situation she is caught up in.

Yes it has had quarry over the years which is against the the residents. The old Ryarsh brickworks is now a new estate with houses going for £1m ? blimin joke! 

Well theres some well off people who are close by who are against so maybe they will get advice. Cheers

11 minutes ago, spandit said:

She's very close to the M20 - is the noise going to be significantly worse? It is going to be a lot of lorries but could be years before they excavate anywhere near her house. They might create a new lake which could increase the value of the house...

Very close indeed. Most likely noisier if you’ve got machines going all day and they said there will be lorries entering and exiting every 16-20 mins they have said. 

My mums more concerned with health implications from breathing in the sand. Didn’t know a lake increases house value! 

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

That sand runs right along towards Wrotham and past Borough Green towards Ightham, there have been quarrying operations around there for years, quite surprised there is any left.

Yeah still going in trosley I think. Over 3m tonnes apparently.

have a google mate for Euxton sand quarry, right by the M6 junction 28. we had all this a few years ago, went to all the meetings voiced our concerns. The wind was blowing and we were weeing into it.

we actually moved before it started properly but not because of the quarrying as to what effects on health or house prices there has been I'm not sure.

They apparently know where the sand is from previous works in this case the M6

Similar thing happened with my partners parents.

Local Golf club which their land adjoins was bought by a well off bloke with no interest in Golf for a pittance and some months later was proposed to be a landfill site.

Legal advice was sought by a lot of locals clubbing together and managed to overturn the sites change of use to prevent it being a landfill mainly due to the increase in traffic movements. 

7 years later it is still a golf course turning little to no profit but now has full planning permission for a few hundred new build homes which won't get over turned as there is a housing shortage in their area.

One thing you could do also is club together to undertake surveys such as newt, bat, noise and traffic surveys. 

Prove there are bats, newts etc. settled on the land and you could prolong the process at least!

We managed to stop a clay quarry followed by landfill site once the clay was removed next to our village. We had a local committee with some diverse talent and a load of helpers. We got a copy of the enviromental impact done for the site and proved it was underestimating a lot of the impact from lorries using the site, to wind direct taking the smell into the village. Some of the report was absolute rubbish and we proved it was a fabrication. Lots of attendance at planning meetings and proved the plans would have greater impact than stated. Eventually an ombudsmen was appointed and agreed with us the site was unsuitable for a variety of reasons after a few years battle. We were originally told we were wasting our time opposing it, but we won. We had a legal secretary, a local councillor, a computer website designer, a scientificly trained chap, a retired policeman, a quantity surveyor etc on the committee.

21 hours ago, Matty89 said:

Similar thing happened with my partners parents.

Local Golf club which their land adjoins was bought by a well off bloke with no interest in Golf for a pittance and some months later was proposed to be a landfill site.

Legal advice was sought by a lot of locals clubbing together and managed to overturn the sites change of use to prevent it being a landfill mainly due to the increase in traffic movements. 

7 years later it is still a golf course turning little to no profit but now has full planning permission for a few hundred new build homes which won't get over turned as there is a housing shortage in their area.

One thing you could do also is club together to undertake surveys such as newt, bat, noise and traffic surveys. 

Prove there are bats, newts etc. settled on the land and you could prolong the process at least!

Yeah somethings going to happen to the land eventually. 

There is badgers, doormice and ancient woodland on the land but they will get round it. 

Apparently they approached 3000 landowners and only 4 responded ?

The land is owned by 2 people, one I know as the firm I used to work rented a yard off him and he’s as tight as they come and the other now is in charge of lots of land where is used to live. My mum rented a house on their estate which is also shooting Estate and one I used to help out and beat on. The son who was handed it all by his dad know runs it all and also lives in my old house. Of course, the land in question is well out of the way of his house typically. 

Some good advice regarding the wildlife and traffic surveys. The hyperlink also mentioned its part of an AONB? You should all focus your efforts on these sorts of things which are 'material planning considerations', you're wasting your time with things like devaluation of property, "I've lived here for x number of years" etc etc which don't come into it.

Should provide some local jobs, bring more people in increasing demand for local places to live, provide some opportunities for local younguns, lead to improvement of local roads to take the traffic, and will finish with some nice lakes to turn into leisure buisnesses, also with a little push the new owners could be persuaded to provide funding for some local community expenditure to help get some of the sticklers on side. 

A mate walked out of a phd on the noise issues from such places as apparently the matter was solved years ago (but pretending it is a problem sustains a small industry) after a few days of moaning people stop noticing it. Modern dampening regs should keep the dust down, and when it is all over there is scope to make a cracking clay ground (some of the best I have been to are ex landfil or quarry).

Whats not to like?

20 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

Should provide some local jobs, bring more people in increasing demand for local places to live, provide some opportunities for local younguns, lead to improvement of local roads to take the traffic, and will finish with some nice lakes to turn into leisure buisnesses, also with a little push the new owners could be persuaded to provide funding for some local community expenditure to help get some of the sticklers on side. 

A mate walked out of a phd on the noise issues from such places as apparently the matter was solved years ago (but pretending it is a problem sustains a small industry) after a few days of moaning people stop noticing it. Modern dampening regs should keep the dust down, and when it is all over there is scope to make a cracking clay ground (some of the best I have been to are ex landfil or quarry).

Whats not to like?

And the noise complaints can start up again with a different reason to moan at!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Spellidge!