Illegal pocket knife?

defender

Back in the 80s and 90s a lot of police carried self purchased leatherman multi tools. There was even a black belt pouch available from stores. Always handy when in need of a screwdriver, wire cutters etc or to cut through something. a bit of rope or whatever. They were told to get rid of them 

28 minutes ago, Breastman said:

He was Prime Minister in 1953 when the ironically named Prevention of Crime Act 1953 was passed that all this stems from. Although I suppose the person most directly responsible would be the Home Secretary at the time (David Fyfe - Had to Google that!)

Interesting. Will have to have a look. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Back in the 80s and 90s a lot of police carried self purchased leatherman multi tools. There was even a black belt pouch available from stores. Always handy when in need of a screwdriver, wire cutters etc or to cut through something. a bit of rope or whatever. They were told to get rid of them 

Odd isn't it? They can carry friction batons, CS gas and in some cases tasers and firearms, but not a multitool. 

If you're a French student you can carry a butterfly knife though. :hmm:

23 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Must have gone full circle, I know a lot of cops carry leathermans now.

23 hours ago, walshie said:

Odd isn't it? They can carry friction batons, CS gas and in some cases tasers and firearms, but not a multitool. 

If you're a French student you can carry a butterfly knife though. 

Yeah; and we can’t carry anything! There’s something wrong somewhere. ?

I remember an interesting talk from the police to a group of new starters at a place in Manchester (I was one). As there were usually a large proportion of foreigners in the groups the police had taken to sending someone to explain uk knife laws and that you could not carry anything 'for protection', but that should you be particularly vain a tin of hairspray could be carried justifiably so long as it was for ensuring perfect hair and not as a weapon. 

Those of us from the UK were pretty flabberghasted that the talk was necessary (I never felt unsafe in my time there) but the foreign lot handed a suprising number of knives to the copper on the way out. 

8 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Must have gone full circle, I know a lot of cops carry leathermans now.

Probably a different force, different senior officer in charge. Whatever?

Back in those days they were doing random searches of coppers lockers for illegal 'stuff' (SPG, - say no more) I believe the rule was you couldn't carry anything that wasn't issued.

Edited by Vince Green

On 05/02/2018 at 10:01, Scotty1980 said:

Don't matter who was in office at the time, it still would have happened at some point. To many idiots on the streets.

Agreed but sadly none of the legislation since has made one iota of difference?

The situation being, that the ones willing to break the law have no interest in the content of the law anyway?

More knife crime every week seemingly?