Concrete Base

lopylui

Even if you have a load of ready mix I sugest you ask around a few pals to come along and give a hand.  I laid 4 cube for a base in a barbecue area and with four of us we managed the job but enjoyed that mug of tea at the end even though the truck could reverse to within a yard of where we wanted it.   For what a sheet of reinforcing mesh costs I would include that as well.  Never hurts to over egg a job like that but a foot thick seems a bit much.

When I built my workshop, I laid about 8 inches of rubble down and compacted it, then laid about 3" of concrete on top.

This has remained stable for over 25 years with a heavy lathe, drilling machine and work-bench and vice bolted to it.

It could do with another coat of floor-paint though

Edited by amateur

4inch is standard, 6inch is heavy duty and 8inch is industrial. The quality of concrete varies with price. From foundation mix upwards. If you hand mix then don't scrimp on cement. Easily done. The mix you order ie c15 or c35 etc relates to the amount of cement per ton. C35 - 350kg per ton. Easier to get that amount delivered. Just put in 4- 6 in of concrete down with mesh if you need to. You won't save hundreds of pounds hand mixing. 

18mm plywood for your shuttering, timber battens for stakes to hold the shuttering in place.
50mm type 1 road stone (compacted)
100mm C35 mix of concrete with or without fibres.
Make a tamp up for tamping down the concrete (4"x 2" timber length)
Trowel to float off the top of concrete after tamping (if you want a smooth finish)
Hire a cement mixer and a few mates.
1 days work.

A decent rule of thumb is that 1m3 of concrete weighs 2.2t.

Take out the water (surrisingly little) and that would equate to about 1.5t of all-in and your cement.

In these parts the all-in if bought loose would be about £70 and the cement- lets say 10 bags another £50ish so £120.

We buy ready mix for under £100/m3. You might pay a premium for part loads.

Even then by the time you consider the labour ready mix is the way to go.

As for the depth, make sure the sub base is well compacted and suitable. Larger hardcore is ok with type 1 on top. Compact several times.

4" concrete is plenty for most applications if the base is good.

Hope it works out.

Edd