Topping up the hog trough.

old man

14 minutes ago, old man said:

I hear the hog trough is due to be topped up by 1.8%.

So pleased that we are still all in it together?

Amazing the way it's now proposed regularly by another bunch of cronies to make it seem more acceptable?

Zap this one please Zapp

How dare you criticise our Honest ... Hard Working ..... generous  Politicians  Hmm. :lol: Don't forget ... Pigs don't dirty where they Lie or  Lie.

24 minutes ago, Howling Hound said:

1.8% is quite reasonable for all the long hours and work they put in to safeguard our interests.

Thanks for the reminder I must have forgotten. The state of great joy that I experienced at the news just overwhelmed me. 

Absolutely amazing that the real supporters of society, Nurses and Paramedics et al are treated poorly while the likes of mp's just keep on being rewarded for living 5 *. 

Ask any politician and they will say they do it because they care not for the money so put them all on the average national wage. That way if they care enough to  increase the living standards of us plebs they get a bonus as a wage rise. Admittedly it wont stop the freebees or backhanders but it may be a start.  

They need a salary increase.  If you had 22 weeks holiday, you would need a big salary to pay for all the holiday times.

In fact, joking aside, I am pleased to see that the ministerial posts are not taking an increase this time, though of course ministerial pay is on top of their standard MPs pay - think of it as a sort of 'bonus' for a job (not very) well done.

58 minutes ago, Howling Hound said:

Ask any politician and they will say they do it because they care not for the money so put them all on the average national wage. That way if they care enough to  increase the living standards of us plebs they get a bonus as a wage rise. Admittedly it wont stop the freebees or backhanders but it may be a start.  

£77,000 plus, per year basic, for a backbencher, with maybe £250,000 plus a year "expenses" plus a gold plated pension!.......why do you think so many people want to be your MP?

If the members of PW are anything to go by, any one who attempts to represent the will of, free thinking, independent minded bunch of old cynics maybe deserves the salary. It must be like hearding cats. I have a mate who truly believes that anyone who shows in interest in going into politics should be put down at birth. With that in mind lets back 12gauge82's suggestion

OOWEE for PM

4 hours ago, das said:

Wouldn't be so bad if they did some ****** work.

Oh but they do. They pass laws, and therin lies the problem. They just can't leave things alone. We had an effective check on their law making in the old House of Lords, but Blair's government turned it into an ineffective second chamber filled with political appointees mainly interested in their new titles. Some legislation in the last 25 years must have been a good idea, but I'm struggling to name it.:lol:

The trouble to my mind is that if you want people with experience and insight from across the different sectors to be able to bring such insight to parliment you have to pay a wage that means a good enough proportion of them can afford to do it (ie not have an untenable pay drop). Add in the effect of five years off the proffessional boil and the loss of progression in their origional work and the pay needs to be higher again.

That said the rise of the professional politician seems to make this view seem good in principal but ultimately irrelevant. 

14 hours ago, TriBsa said:

Oh but they do. They pass laws, and therin lies the problem. They just can't leave things alone. We had an effective check on their law making in the old House of Lords, but Blair's government turned it into an ineffective second chamber filled with political appointees mainly interested in their new titles. Some legislation in the last 25 years must have been a good idea, but I'm struggling to name it.:lol:

Sorry but have to take you to task there, since when does the passing of a law constitute work?

Very strenuous for them it might be, lifting an arm and grunting incomprehensibly? Work no?

2 hours ago, old man said:

Sorry but have to take you to task there, since when does the passing of a law constitute work?

Very strenuous for them it might be, lifting an arm and grunting incomprehensibly? Work no?

OK, accepted that it's hardly strenuous. But my point was that if they were completely idle then they would be less dangerous.

I was driving along the M4 towards London about 6.30am with the rising sun in my eyes and I heard on the radio that Nick Clegg was getting a knighthood. I really must stop listening to the news when I am driving in the mornings.

53 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

But my point was that if they were completely idle then they would be less dangerous.

Some really are completely idle, Corbyn didn't lift a finger for years, bone idle

Edited by Vince Green

2 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I was driving along the M4 towards London about 6.30am with the rising sun in my eyes and I heard on the radio that Nick Clegg was getting a knighthood. I really must stop listening to the news when I am driving in the mornings.

What for? His services to toadying?