.22lr

I’m fairly new to rifle shooting and have just bought my first .22lr. I went for the CZ 455 American and got to say what a piece of kit! However I can’t zero the thing to save my life. I’ve tried bore sighting it but no matter how much I adjust the dials on the scope I can’t get the crosshairs to align on the target that’s visible down the barrel. the clostest I can get is about 3” low and 1/2” to the right at 50yards. Any help as to what I’m doing wrong will be very appreciated. 

I zero by firing a few shots at the target (and start at 25 metres if you are new) and adjust from there. I have never bore sighted.

If you are really struggling fetch it here and I will show you. I have plenty of land and will sort your gun/sights out with you. About an hours drive from Preston.

2 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

I zero by firing a few shots at the target (and start at 25 metres if you are new) and adjust from there. I have never bore sighted.

If you are really struggling fetch it here and I will show you. I have plenty of land and will sort your gun/sights out with you. About an hours drive from Preston.

What a nice offer. 

Did scope and mounts come with the gun or are they  ones you have fitted?

Are your groupings good and consistent and anywhere near the bore sighting?

Give details on how you are adjusting your reticle.

We don't know what if any experience you have hence my points, don't mean to be doing you down.

hello, i have the same rifle and never had any problem with zero, what scope ? what mounts?  i use a MK 1 photon in the winter months and hawke rimfire 4x12x50 through the summer, as saltings mentioned reference floating barrel although mine is a plastic stock i do make sure its not touching,  

25 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have the same rifle and never had any problem with zero, what scope ? what mounts?  i use a MK 1 photon in the winter months and hawke rimfire 4x12x50 through the summer, as saltings mentioned reference floating barrel although mine is a plastic stock i do make sure its not touching,  

hello, you could also slide a piece of paper under the barrel along the stock to see if it is touching hence a free floating barrel, nice gesture from 39 TDS, good luck

On the limited info available this would appear to be scope/mount related, but as mentioned above check everything. Is the barrel, mounts, scope and moderator secure and fitted correctly?

If you have bore sighted and you can't bring the scope over close then it sounds scope/mounts, there is also the possibility mounting dovetail on rifle has been machined off (not very likely but possible).

If you are confident everything is secure then try another scope as first choice!

39TDS thanks for the offer mate. Might take you up on that if I can’t sort it. The groupings are spot on even at 50yards however they’re all low and to the right 

The scope came with the setup to answer another question and everything seems solid. I’m taking it back to Malmo guns where I got it to see if they can get to the bottom of it. Cheers lads!

Edited by Guest

14 minutes ago, Thomas Rutlidge said:

39TDS thanks for the offer mate. Might take you up on that if I can’t sort it. The grouping are spot on even at 50yards however they’re all low and to the right 

The scope came with the setup to answer another question and everything seems solid. I’m taking it back to malmo guns where I got it to see if they can get to the bottom of it. Cheers lads 

hello, when i got my 455 i tried 4 makes of ammo, eley/winchester/RWS/ CCI , eley were worse with bad grouping winnie and cci ok but RWS came out best, have you tried  similar ? each 455 barrel will like different ammo, cheers

25 minutes ago, Thomas Rutlidge said:

39TDS thanks for the offer mate. Might take you up on that if I can’t sort it. The grouping are spot on even at 50yards however they’re all low and to the right 

The scope came with the setup to answer another question and everything seems solid. I’m taking it back to malmo guns where I got it to see if they can get to the bottom of it. Cheers lads 

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, when i got my 455 i tried 4 makes of ammo, eley/winchester/RWS/ CCI , eley were worse with bad grouping winnie and cci ok but RWS came out best, have you tried  similar ? each 455 barrel will like different ammo, cheers

Ammo selection is certainly important and it is essential to find the best ammo to suit the quarry and rifle, but with the information so far on this I think the MAIN issue certainly lies elseware, especially as he says the groupings are spot on!

:good:

I had two from new one day scope one night scope the one would not zero the crown was damaged on the one the gun shop would not belive me but i put my foot down and made them get a replacment barrel no trouble what so ever after that.

I am not saying thats whats wrong with yours but could be worth looking into.

1 hour ago, snow white said:

I had two from new one day scope one night scope the one would not zero the crown was damaged on the one the gun shop would not belive me but i put my foot down and made them get a replacment barrel no trouble what so ever after that.

I am not saying thats whats wrong with yours but could be worth looking into.

His does zero! :lol:

The grouping is spot on he says, so the zero is just in the wrong place, this is not indicative of a damaged crown which would normally give a spread! :hmm:

:good:

OP your not a leftie are you?

Only reason I ask is a shooting buddy is left handed and told how he once mounted a scope up so he could use it left handed. The elevation and windage turrets in effect got swapped over, if you see what I mean, and he couldn't get enough adjustment. Just an idea.......

Has to be scope or mounts surely?  The Cz has a narrow scope rail I think, without getting mine out of the cabinet. Have you the correct mounts otherwise it might just be effectively offset. I wouldn’t trust the fact the scope came with it as it might have just been thrown on for the sale from a less suitable direction. Just a thought. Unless someone used the barrel as a crow bar:sad1:

Edited by turbo33

My money is still on the scope or mounts.

It may be worth taking the mod off to try, but as you say you have excellent grouping that seems an unlikely cause, but best to start eliminating.

Do you have another scope/mounts to try?

What is the scope, and on a sort of side issue, the mounts seem quite high, always best to keep the scope as close to the barrel as sensible.

If you have just got this and it came as a package why not just take it back and ask the RFD to sort it?

Just wild card, i assume the bipod mounting stud/screw isn't through the forend and putting pressure on the barrel? I agree with Dekers, the mounts look uneccesarily high, although again agreeing, should give you the problem you're having? Has the scope parallax adjustment? Are the mounts definitely a pair? And are the mount to rifle screws on the same side?

Edited by turbo33