Cheap Guns vs Expensive Ones

Wingman

37 minutes ago, no1ghillie said:

I bought a Parazzi  mx8 SPO SP  paid too much money for it,,25k+

Fab fit Fab gun everything that movers across its vision point becomes an ex member of the bird population

recommend buying best quality that you can afford

Andy K

Very modest.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, no1ghillie said:

Fab fit Fab gun everything that movers across its vision point becomes an ex member of the bird population

Andy K

An interesting post.

You admit to making a poor judgement concerning the cost of the gun then you make a claim concerning your shooting abilities.

The whole gun thing just does not do it for me. I have four rifles each for a specific use and two shotguns again for different purposes. I use all of them regularly and to me they are just like a screw driver, their to do a job. Each was bought for a purpose.

2 hours ago, no1ghillie said:

Andy K

So on your second post ^^^^^^^ I’m looking forward to future contributions from a committed and very good shot 

Having spent 40+ years gradually 'improving' and trading up the contents of my cabinet, this thread has got me thinking and wondering why a not inconsiderable percentage of my 'disposable income' has passed through/ended up in there over the years!  I have tried to 'buy well' in that I have always tended to buy 'quality second hand', and have tended to buy what I like rather than 'fashion' (in my view anyway).  From this thread, it is clear that most people (including me) can miss with anything at any price, and generally have a favourite gun that is largely independent of price and favoured because it 'does the business'.

So what does the higher price buy?  Accepting normal 'break barrel' (I have no experience of autos and pumps) type 12 bore guns, I can think of a few (random) points and wonder what advantages (or otherwise) they provide.

• Newer:  May be longer before it needs attention, may have steel proof, but otherwise, no disadvantages to older guns.  Guns rarely 'wear out', though may be maltreated (mainly corrosion issues).
  • Better materials:  Nicer wood looks lovely, but confers no real advantage - and may even be less strong.  Better steels may give a small weight advantage and (possibly) may resist corrosion better.
  • Better mechanics, trigger pulls:  This one just may have some advantages.  Generally trigger pulls tend to be better on more expensive - possibly due to both better materials and (more likely) more care  and time in adjustment.  Some (esp old and cheaper s/s) can have dodgy single trigger reliability (and hard to get right), modern o/u seems generally very reliable.
  • Better mechanics, actions:  More expensive guns sometimes differ in using different 'lock up mechanisms on more expensive guns in the portfolio.  Beretta use a different system on SO and ASE and DT??) series.  I have used both of Berettas types, and can't see any real advantage.  Both work well and any improvement in smoothness, longevity, reliability  is too marginal for me to notice.
  • Better boring/chokes:  This is one manufacturers might use to 'sell'.  My own view would be that (except possibly for some VERY old guns with 'odd' chambers or chokes) cartridges make more difference.  After market chokes are an easy way to spend money, but I've not been convinced they are very different to the more basic ones, except possibly a few extremely tight pattern specials
  • Better handling:  It will tend to be easier to save weight with more expensive materials.  In theory therefore better handling should be achieved as low weight - and better control of weight distribution is are possible with more money spent.  There is no doubt in my mind that some people are more sensitive to handling than others, and we all have different perceptions of 'good'.  In theory therefore, a more expensive gun can be lighter and have better handling, but this will only be seen as an advantage by some users more than others.
  • Better reliability:  I think this is questionable; basic British (and Spanish copy) boxlocks are among the most reliable guns, but not expensive.  Cheap 'elaborate guns (such as cheap sidelocks) can be less reliable.  If on a limited budget, simple basic boxlocks will be better than budget sidelocks.  In general (in my view) most normal mass market big sellers are very reliable (barring the occasional rogue).  So are most expensive guns - though they can (I'm told) be delicate. 
  • Finish:  There is no doubt that fine wood and fine engraving are expensive and can be very beautiful.  But it is a gunroom pleasure, and they don't shoot straighter!

So, my conclusion is that 'mechanically', all that extra hard earned and saved actually achieves little advantage.  But what is often different is the attention to 'fit' that some proper gunmakers will give.  I have said earlier in the thread my 'go to favourite' with which I shoot best is an old AyA No 1.  Not by any means a cheapy, but at 40 years old, not vastly expensive either at about £3K.  What was different was the sales experience;  I had two 'fittings' both involving shooting - with the gun altered to suit in between the fittings.  Great attention was paid to ensuring that all was well.  I think that this was key, both in simple good fit terms, but also in the vital 'confidence' factor mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

There are lots of other points are haven't touched on - one major one being depreciation/cost.  Fancy expensive 'latest fashion high end' bought new will depreciate faster than snow melting in spring, whereas an old sound cheapy will change little in value over years.  Some may disagree with my views, but hopefully the usual informative discussions will take place!

Edited by JohnfromUK

11 hours ago, no1ghillie said:

Andy K

‘Everything’ ..eh? ?

3 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Actually 2.5K seems pretty reasonable for an MX8 dont know what the SPO SP means but if means its got SCO grade wood then that's a bit of a bargain!

Looks like 25K (twenty five) on my screen.  I don't follow Perazzi prices, but that is a lot of ££ for a gun, though I agree there are plenty for even more as well.

Sorry, but totally disagree. Whilst you might wish to lash out a wedge on an expensive gun, it will not necessarily affect your shooting. I accept that more expensive guns might be better to look at, but once you get a gun that is well made, long lasting and fits you, the looks are unimportant for shooting - serving only to be pleasing on the eye.

I was mildly amused by your second line. I presume the birds fall over in shock at the price tag. The gun that misses nothing hasn't yet been invented - cheap or dear. :whistling:

Got to say - it's nice to read some down to Earth opinions on here. It'd be too easy for people to try and justify spending all sorts on a gun to protect their conscience/decision - but nice to see people being very honest about the cheap vs expensive debate.

I don't have the experience of shooting with an expensive gun, I have a cheap (barely entry-level) Bettinsoli - but I'm progressing and smashing clays. I think I'll upgrade soon, I want a nicer piece of wood and some more detail on the action - but that's purely because I want a gun I love the look of, and it's important to be honest about that. I wouldn't trade this Bettinsoli in, it's staying with me, I'm fairly certain it fits very well and it does the job.

16 hours ago, no1ghillie said:

Andy K

I think I'd shoot a poor fitting purdey considerably worse than my 700 quid bettinsoli - yet there's a gigantic different in 'quality'. I'm not sure your advice is good advice here mate, people max'ing out their budget because they could seems insane. Unless of course you're buying it for the wood/detail etc. (as I will be), but that doesn't imply a better chance of hitting a target.

Edited by DanBettin

Your right I misread the amount (should have gone to specsavers!) blimey 25K! I think even if I won the lottery I would struggle to justify spending that amount on a shotgun.  I sort of get spending big money on a rifle as its much more a precision instrument and you certainly get what you pay for with optics but a shotgun is essentially just a tube to direct a charge. I suppose your buying a piece of art and paying for the "exclusivity" of a fine handmade gun.

My old boss used to have a pair of Holland and Holland sidelock guns which I shot a couple of times, they felt lovely but I remember missing the target I was shooting at just as well as I did with the gun I had at the time.

But each to their own I suppose!

Edited by Wingman

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Sorry, but totally disagree. Whilst you might wish to lash out a wedge on an expensive gun, it will not necessarily affect your shooting. I accept that more expensive guns might be better to look at, but once you get a gun that is well made, long lasting and fits you, the looks are unimportant for shooting - serving only to be pleasing on the eye.

I was mildly amused by your second line. I presume the birds fall over in shock at the price tag. The gun that misses nothing hasn't yet been invented - cheap or dear.

I have to disagree with you there Gordon. All my guns hit what they are pointing at even if its not where the operator was thinking they were pointing at the time :oops:

2 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

oowee - sorry, I hadn't realised that Andy's gun actually hit the birds that he would have missed. That is probably why he paid so much. I'm surprised he isn't famous - £25k gun - never misses a bird - George Digweed eat your heart out.

:lol: looking forward to seeing the pictures of the gun and the bag that he gets with it !!

15 minutes ago, oowee said:

All my guns hit what they are pointing at even if its not where the operator was thinking they were pointing at the time

I have had strong suspicions that one or two I've fired store the shot away for recycling and it never comes out!

Just now, JohnfromUK said:

I have had strong suspicions that one or two I've fired store the shot away for recycling and it never comes out!

Seriously i bought a new semi auto berretta and the farmer gave me 100 shells whilst taking me to a field full of crows. He then watched me fire the four boxes and miss pretty much everything i went for. I did begin to wonder half way through if anything was coming out of the barrel :oops: