Tour de Yorkshire

100milesaway

Well today the tour de Yorkshire sallied forth through Leyburn and I couldn't resist letting some of the marshalls know where our local chemist shop was located in case any of the competitors needed a top up  of their asthma medication... from Auntie.

52 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Well today the tour de Yorkshire sallied forth through Leyburn and I couldn't resist letting some of the marshalls know where our local chemist shop was located in case any of the competitors needed a top up  of their asthma medication... from Auntie.

I'm off to watch the 4 Day's of Dunkirk cycle race next week, it starts on Tuesday and it finishes on Sunday, work that one out, oh the French don't you love em.

No brown paper bags allowed unless full of pomme fritte.

1 minute ago, washerboy said:

Would I knock down more with my blinkers on ??

Sounds like a hate crime.

l would be very careful.

9 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Oh dear blinkers on.

Yes many of you "cyclepaths " have, you think only of yourselves.

We live in an area of rural Derbyshire "favored" by these events over the last few years and could put up with the disruption of the odd weekend event if sufficient notice was posted, but it isn't.

First the events themselves:-

Locals suddenly find every legitimate parking place in the vicinity full plus many more cars blocking roads, gateways, and peoples' access to the extent that normal day to day actiities have to stop.  (on the last occasion they even used the disabled and elderly parking for the village church on a Sunday  morning and filled the pub parking until well past lunch time without using the pub themselves)

Many of the roads have a constant procession of riders, head down/ bottom up, down the middle of country roads with no regard whatsoever for other users, be they pedestrians, equine, or motorist.

Secondly other times:-

As we were "blessed" with a major event a couple of years ago most fine weekends we have groups of up to 30 following these routes,   They ride either as a "lump" or in pairs or threes totally blocking roads with few safe passing places.  On one occasion a 20 minute  drive took me 80 minutes due to 2 particularly inconsiderate groups.  Barely fit riders wobbling up the middle of the road on a long climb at less than walking pace whilst others in the opposite direction hurtle down with virtually no control or hope of stopping.

During the week we have those that can "training".   Again head down/bottom up, and I have every right to be in the middle of the road and you just have to wait or get out of my way.

Also on Bridle ways, and footpaths, we have the same from mountain bikers.

This is not just a motorist rant, it is a general non cyclist rant at the large number of inconsiderate cyclists and lets you "the cyclist"  know why others have problems with you.

Just one personal example.  In the late summer last year I was decoying on some laid barley adjacent to a private (no public right of way) farm track.  Part of mu pattern was on the track to give viability with my hide to one side.  Six off- roaders rode straight through the pattern and got abusive when I stopped them and told them it was not a public right of way.  The response was "We always use this route, it's the best one there is from X to X apart from the locked gates".

29 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Yes many of you "cyclepaths " have, you think only of yourselves.

We live in an area of rural Derbyshire "favored" by these events over the last few years and could put up with the disruption of the odd weekend event if sufficient notice was posted, but it isn't.

First the events themselves:-

Locals suddenly find every legitimate parking place in the vicinity full plus many more cars blocking roads, gateways, and peoples' access to the extent that normal day to day actiities have to stop.  (on the last occasion they even used the disabled and elderly parking for the village church on a Sunday  morning and filled the pub parking until well past lunch time without using the pub themselves)

Many of the roads have a constant procession of riders, head down/ bottom up, down the middle of country roads with no regard whatsoever for other users, be they pedestrians, equine, or motorist.

Secondly other times:-

As we were "blessed" with a major event a couple of years ago most fine weekends we have groups of up to 30 following these routes,   They ride either as a "lump" or in pairs or threes totally blocking roads with few safe passing places.  On one occasion a 20 minute  drive took me 80 minutes due to 2 particularly inconsiderate groups.  Barely fit riders wobbling up the middle of the road on a long climb at less than walking pace whilst others in the opposite direction hurtle down with virtually no control or hope of stopping.

During the week we have those that can "training".   Again head down/bottom up, and I have every right to be in the middle of the road and you just have to wait or get out of my way.

Also on Bridle ways, and footpaths, we have the same from mountain bikers.

This is not just a motorist rant, it is a general non cyclist rant at the large number of inconsiderate cyclists and lets you "the cyclist"  know why others have problems with you.

Just one personal example.  In the late summer last year I was decoying on some laid barley adjacent to a private (no public right of way) farm track.  Part of mu pattern was on the track to give viability with my hide to one side.  Six off- roaders rode straight through the pattern and got abusive when I stopped them and told them it was not a public right of way.  The response was "We always use this route, it's the best one there is from X to X apart from the locked gates".

+1 For this, & the town centre (Aberdeen ) riders on footpath,ignoring traffic lights etc.

don't mind the lads on road bikes but these clowns on mountain bikes who just race up and down the canal banks do my head in, wen your useing a £2500 pole and they insist on trying to carry it over your pole i make them wait till I ship it back out :good:

13 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

That made me laugh!

cant stand them, all cheats and look like a bunch of fluorescent clad self harmers with those stupid helmets. 

12 minutes ago, washerboy said:

What’s the difference between a dead cat and a dead cyclist...

Is the Roman Godess Menstrua the patron saint of cyclists?

i would stop to pick pick up a dead cat ?

You might want to stay away from Holland by the sounds of things, bikes and cycle lanes everywhere, imagine cars being stopped for bikes.

cyclists should only ride two abreast and try to move out the way on narrow roads, but then given how bad some people drive these days i can't blame folk for cycling defensively, plus you've got to stay out the massive pot holes which will wreck your bike or put you under a car.