Oh yawn!

turbo33

News last night was reporting our endangered wildlife, Long Eared bats, Red Squirrels, Hedgehogs and even rabbits. Apparently its all due to climate change from carbon emissions and farmers using pesticides! Strangely, there was no mention of farmers stewardships, the pox virus carried and spread from Grey Squirrels to the Reds wiping them out,  or indeed, the deliberate introduction of Myxomatosis to control the rabbit population. But fortunately Roe deer are making a comeback? I didn't know they were endangered!!!

20 minutes ago, turbo33 said:

News last night was reporting our endangered wildlife, Long Eared bats, Red Squirrels, Hedgehogs and even rabbits. Apparently its all due to climate change from carbon emissions and farmers using pesticides! Strangely, there was no mention of farmers stewardships, the pox virus carried and spread from Grey Squirrels to the Reds wiping them out,  or indeed, the deliberate introduction of Myxomatosis to control the rabbit population. But fortunately Roe deer are making a comeback? I didn't know they were endangered!!!

Why would they say the real reasons when they can push a political agenda. 

Re Reds.

The media are very reluctant to portray Grey Squirrels for what they are in fear of upsetting the Cuddly Toy brigade and being accused of pro cull or pro shooting etc.

Greys are easily done away with but without public backing it's not going to happen.

As we know it's not just Red Squirrels being knobbled by tree rats.

1 hour ago, turbo33 said:

Surprised they ain't found a way to extrapolate the problem into blaming shooting/lead ammunition/disturbance or any other anti shooting related reason!....

2 hours ago, turbo33 said:

Our local TV news also did a bit on this but featured in their opening film (but not mentioned) badgers ! 

Not surprisingly, no mention was made of the decimation of hedgehogs or bees nests attributable to cuddly old Brock, but by intimation, the uninitiated might think that badgers were in decline.

As previously posted above, no mention was made as to the red squirrel being persecuted by the grey, but it`s decline was put down solely to loss of environment, increased roads and farming practices.

OB

Funny those endangered old badgers that are in decline...I saw two rooting their way through a field of dairy cattle when I was out shooting last night. Funny really because I remember Packham saying categorically badgers can’t give cows Tb because they avoid being in the same field as where the cattle are grazing. 

2 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

Packham saying categorically badgers can’t give cows Tb because they avoid being in the same field as where the cattle are grazing

Spoken like a true lefty with an agenda, never let the truth get in the way of your goals, I wouldn't expect anything less from the likes of him.

Edited by Newbie to this

In my area we started losing our hedgehogs long before the badgers started to appear on the scene.

I would hazard a guess that the vast amount of slug pellets that are spread around the arable crops have more than a little to do with it.

The vast majority of wildlife declines can be attributed to changes in farming practices.

Edited by scolopax

15 minutes ago, scolopax said:

In my area we started losing our hedgehogs long before the badgers started to appear on the scene.

I would hazard a guess that the vast amount of slug pellets that are spread around the arable crops have more than a little to do with it.

The vast majority of wildlife declines can be attributed to changes in farming practices.

Apart from hazarding a guess, got any links.....and I mean independent ones; not those with an agenda....to verify the claims in your first and last paragraphs? I’m not being deliberately awkward, I am genuinely interested as just 10 minutes ago I’ve had just such a similar conversation with a client who made me coffee.