car servicing.

vole

Unfortunately we have to run two cars but i have to pay for their upkeep.I dread anything going wrong even though they are nothing special,anything new or any fix costs me bigtime.4 tyres on my little Skoda was a cool £170 which before our holidays was a pain in the pocket.Also the next 2 months is the time for tax,MOT and servicing.Each one does about 5000miles p/a only.Do all of you bother with an annual service?

I've got an old MKII glof GTI and I get it serviced every year.

This is more that it's getting on a bit (119k miles) and I like to have all the lubricants changed to make sure it's running sweet. Also I do tend to rag it a bit so needs looking after.

I could do all the changing my self but don't have a drive and can't be bothered.

Tip, Kwikfit will do a "lube" for you where you drive in and they drain and get rid of the oil, change the oil filter, fit a new sump plug with a washer and copper grease so you can get it off next time and then fill with oil. All for £30. Considering you have to find somewhere to get rid of the oil, have a tool for the filter (no not a screwdriver) you can't even buy the oil for that.

Do that, get a set of plugs for a few quid and change the air filter. If you have a mechanically minded friend find out from them when you need things like belts doing. You'll save yourself a fortune.

Edit: Before anybody says it I am not mechanically minded, I can't even keep sufficient coolant in my truck :)

I am a sucker for changing the oil regularly - and I DO notice a difference on both our cars...everything else I do as/ when I hear/feel it going. Depends how mechanically minded you are and whether you can be bothered to drive around with the stereo off every once in a while to make sure no new noises have developed...sad but true!

I do mine myself as it so easy and it needs doing every 6,000 miles.

Takes about an hour each time but 45 minutes of that is having a cup of tea and biccies while the oil drains out.

It litterly takes about 10 minutes to whip the sump plug out and then spin the old filter off/new one on.

Take the air and water out of the fuel line and it is done.

Peugeot charge me about £75 to do the same.

I got them to do the belt when it needed doing though.

i dont bother with the service stamps , Plus i do all of my own services as i dont believe in paying some one else to do the same job i could do ....

at the minute were running 3 cars so it would also work out to dear to have them done one of them has to have an oil change every 3000 miles

Change the oil every six months regardless of what you do miles wise. Over the top? , possibly but I believe the short journeys kill a car quicker than the motorway miles.

Get a Haynes manual and look at the service points. You can do it yourself no problem, split it over a month or so and all it takes is 1/2 a week or so. This also helps spread the cost.

best thing to do is use semi synthetic oil, i thashed a turbo deisel corsa for over 193.000miles and changed oil and filter myself every 6,000 miles, it never used oil between services, I thrash a Rover 200 diesel now, and again at 138,000 miles never uses any oil, Both cars use oil using the ordinary oil. brake pads are easy to change and just keep a check on the fluids etc.

i worked as a mechanic for around 15yrs and now i have a deep loathing of all things mechanical :good: , i never carry out any preventative maintainance , i just patch things up as they break :lol: .

i keep my other halfs car in decent condition so that we have something decent and reliable for those occasions when a 4x4 covered in blood, fur and snot just isn't good enough :lol:

one of them has to have an oil change every 3000 miles

:lol:???

I also note any work I do, plus receipts for oil/parts etc for future buyers to see - just good evidence. I agree with the comment on semi-synth esp for diesels :lol:

Forgot to say earlier, Dad had an early non-turbo landrover county and did over 120,000 miles on only TWO oil changes and it ran as good as any other with no blue smoke...just black!! :good:

Both vehicles get serviced once a year.

The "posh" car, because thats what the service intervals are and the Dealer does the service.

The shooting/fishing wagon, because I don't think it merits more TLC than that and my mate Colin does it for ££'s and I supply the service kit.

I do not have a "hands on" mechanical bone in my body. :good:

For the cost of semi synthetic , you can buy gallons of the good old bog standard mineral oil , and change the oil once a month . Lots better for your engine !

Bit of a pain, plus a waste in a world where oil is getting scarcer! :good: I buy semi syth for about £12 for 5L from Partco, I think mineral is about £8 and goes half as far...works out quite expensive when looking at it like that! :lol:

Service sounds a bit grand. Petrol - change oil / filter, plus air filter and plugs. Diesel - oil / filter, fuel filter - drain water from diesel, if you are lucky. Money for old rope and a stamp in your book if you are that way inclined. Never paid a garage to do a service and never will.