Antis at it again

ShootingEgg

Have watched the video, the Badger was head shot at point blank and any movement was just muscle spasms, but Joe public don’t know about that, so they can put whatever emotive headline they like, if it gets Joe public onside.

Mind you its upset a few as you can see from this Twitter link..https://twitter.com/FoxHITeam/status/1046308076524130311/video/1

"Independent vets have confirmed the badgers suffering" said a spokesman? Which independent vets? Who were they? Who was the spokesman? A spokesman for whom?...........and surprise, surprise, the video has been "edited"....I just bet it has!

Shot in the head at close range........it may have convulsed for a while, with residual nerve reaction, but I bet it was dead!

And the Protectionist terrorists complain the police will not take action based on the "evidence" they provide! 🤔

54 minutes ago, old'un said:

Have watched the video, the Badger was head shot at point blank and any movement was just muscle spasms, but Joe public don’t know about that, so they can put whatever emotive headline they like, if it gets Joe public onside.

Mind you its upset a few as you can see from this Twitter link..https://twitter.com/FoxHITeam/status/1046308076524130311/video/1

The link shows blank page for me.. 

I still can't believe this gets into the news, doctored video with suposid independent vet sayin yes the dead animal that i did not see shot other than a video did suffer... 

Its a nightmare. 

7 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

The link shows blank page for me.. 

I still can't believe this gets into the news, doctored video with suposid independent vet sayin yes the dead animal that i did not see shot other than a video did suffer... 

Its a nightmare. 

Just clicked the link on this page and it works for me, try copying and pasting the link into your address bar and hit return.

You'll never get an honest account from antis. I do worry what impact the cull will have on public perception of shooting, the problem is the badger has been portrayed as a fluffy symbol of the countryside, that goes about its day and causes no harm, never mind it has no natural predators and has therefore bred out of control for years, of course we know different, but with our sport already under massive pressure, I'm not sure shooting in the way the cull has been conducted was the best way forward, I think it can only lead to further pressure from the public to ban shooting and plays into the hands of antis that will stop at nothing to twist the truth.

33 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

You'll never get an honest account from antis. I do worry what impact the cull will have on public perception of shooting, the problem is the badger has been portrayed as a fluffy symbol of the countryside, that goes about its day and causes no harm, never mind it has no natural predators and has therefore bred out of control for years, of course we know different, but with our sport already under massive pressure, I'm not sure shooting in the way the cull has been conducted was the best way forward, I think it can only lead to further pressure from the public to ban shooting and plays into the hands of antis that will stop at nothing to twist the truth.

In what way has shooting in the cull been conducted that gives cause for concern? There are strenuous efforts made to protect non target species, minimise distress and to operate to the highest best practice standards. It's not shooting for sport, Its management , which includes trapping all for an obvious defined and measurable purpose.

I think the scale of the work brings shooting and wildlife management into plain sight. It could as a result of making activities more evident, increase objections to shooting sports but it's currently mostly a distraction. Those objections are there with or without the activity but the work maybe provides a reason for them to surface. Perhaps if the work was not happening this energy  would already be focused on shooting sports. 

There is however, a growing mountain of evidence of the benefit to other wildlife that the management plan brings that will be difficult for the anti's to ignore. There are not many countryside activities that can or will be able to demonstrate cause and effect so clearly and the evidence will be helpful for shooting sports.

Some years ago we had people “celebs” on the box that would have been Joe public's link to us and our country pursuits, these people put country pursuits across in a balanced way that the public seemed to like, unfortunately most of these people are either dead or have been shelved by program makers as not being pc.

Most of today’s celebs will say or jump on any pc bandwagon that comes along if it gets them more airtime/money, I think we are all aware of how the media shapes the world around us and we the shooting community do not have a voice in the media anymore, even programs like ‘Country File’ do us no favours, why do the BBC not put more country pursuits like shooting in the program, I think we all know the answer to that one.

Unless we can grab the headlines in social media, TV and the press our days are numbered.

Wouldn’t it be nice to see a headline in one of the tabloids like…..Leading conservationist; antis are talking rubbish

Think I/we may have to wait a long time to see anything like that.

What should have happened was very quietly the part of the legislation that says it’s illegal to shoot them should have been removed. They sneak plenty of other legislation through when there’s something distracting in the news I’m sure with a bit of planning they could have sneaked it through. Basc could have made a very quiet press release somewhere in one of their magazines and people could have been allowed to quietly shoot them. Trialled it for 10 years and then reassessed the prevalence of tb in cattle and the badger population. The prevalence of tb in badgers is largely unchanged - around 17% iirc - the population of badgers has exploded. Simple arithmetic dictates that 17% of 100k is less than 17% of 1million. 

its being shown on BBC at half 6 north west news.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

In what way has shooting in the cull been conducted that gives cause for concern? There are strenuous efforts made to protect non target species, minimise distress and to operate to the highest best practice standards. It's not shooting for sport, Its management , which includes trapping all for an obvious defined and measurable purpose.

I think the scale of the work brings shooting and wildlife management into plain sight. It could as a result of making activities more evident, increase objections to shooting sports but it's currently mostly a distraction. Those objections are there with or without the activity but the work maybe provides a reason for them to surface. Perhaps if the work was not happening this energy  would already be focused on shooting sports. 

There is however, a growing mountain of evidence of the benefit to other wildlife that the management plan brings that will be difficult for the anti's to ignore. There are not many countryside activities that can or will be able to demonstrate cause and effect so clearly and the evidence will be helpful for shooting sports.

I know what you mean oowee but no one in the media is talking about any benefits to wildlife, just that a badger has been shot.

8 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Why, its the antis and the bbc, of course it would make it on there. Anything to get a bit of anti slur online. 

Yes but natural England said they were happy everything was done as it should be, so nothing further to be done.

6 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

Why is this? Any links?

No links, but 12 bore has been stipulated as the method of killing a trapped badger, so 12 bore it is, but a specially designed one on the grounds of health and safety. A .22 rf will do it but 12 bore is stipulated.

There is a thick manual of regulations which must be adhered to. Like I said, it could all be so much easier and just as humane and safe. 

4 hours ago, oowee said:

Like others have already said, I just think it could have been done a bit more quietly and although more effective in some areas, I think trapping gives the antis more scope to tarnish shooters, the two threads I've seen on here regarding badgers and antis have both involved trapping, I just worry that shooting doesn't need any further negative press, regardless if it's baseless or not.

11 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Like others have already said, I just think it could have been done a bit more quietly and although more effective in some areas, I think trapping gives the antis more scope to tarnish shooters, the two threads I've seen on here regarding badgers and antis have both involved trapping, I just worry that shooting doesn't need any further negative press, regardless if it's baseless or not.

Agreed, i think if they were put back into a vermin list then They would be quietly dealt with. 

Take fox as an example, massive uproar about hunting with hounds, yet nothing about putting a 22-250, 223,243 etc between its eyes. Same with badger, how many are shot by rifle and no news, one gets trapped, and it's filmed and put on news for all to see. 

Agreed. Al that needs to happen is they lose their protected status, it’s not as if they’re rare. It can still remain illegal to tamper with, dig or otherwise interfere with a sett. 

A farmer locally made a big issue about the problems he was having with badgers and immediately made himself the focus of attention to one and all with an interest. If he had just stayed quiet and dealt with it no one would be any the wiser. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Agreed. Al that needs to happen is they lose their protected status, it’s not as if they’re rare. It can still remain illegal to tamper with, dig or otherwise interfere with a sett. 

A farmer locally made a big issue about the problems he was having with badgers and immediately made himself the focus of attention to one and all with an interest. If he had just stayed quiet and dealt with it no one would be any the wiser. 

Spot on :good: