shooting on a Sunday

davewh100

just looking for bit of info one of the waters we shoot gooesander and cormorants on is some house's about 1/4 of a mile away one of the resident who is a animal lover which i understand got upset wen we shoot a gooesander told us to stop shooting them told her we do have a licence to cull both gooesander and cormorants which we have held for four years from natural england, normally on a Sunday we shoot at 10am is this to early ?

dave

I can see no problem at all. Advice wise I would always approach the complainant in a calm polite way considering the advance of body cams and recordings now available. A majority of antis on hunts are now supplied with them.  If these birds need to be culled is it not possible to do the job with a 22RF whilst they are on the water ...far less intrusive for the complainant and also for any birds flying in.  Dead floating bodies act as decoys.

20 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I can see no problem at all. Advice wise I would always approach the complainant in a calm polite way considering the advance of body cams and recordings now available. A majority of antis on hunts are now supplied with them.  If these birds need to be culled is it not possible to do the job with a 22RF whilst they are on the water ...far less intrusive for the complainant and also for any birds flying in.  Dead floating bodies act as decoys.

Are you sure that's a good idea? A ricochet off the water and through the lounge window 400 yards away might just really upset the applecart.

yeah no fire arm allowed shotgun only 12g 16g 20g not sure about the not shooting on a Sunday waiting to hear back from richard banforth angling trust he seems to think it's ok, don't think the issue is the time of shooting it's the killing of the birds,shot a cormorants last week wen it was fished out it was spilling roach out must of only been on the water no more than 2mins 

53 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

yeah no fire arm allowed shotgun only 12g 16g 20g not sure about the not shooting on a Sunday waiting to hear back from richard banforth angling trust he seems to think it's ok, don't think the issue is the time of shooting it's the killing of the birds,shot a cormorants last week wen it was fished out it was spilling roach out must of only been on the water no more than 2mins 

I think it might have been wise of you to have got the Sunday law on shooting wildfowl in your county sorted out before you started your cull just in case your enemies done there homework.

Apart of work or family commitments , couldn't you do your shooting on a week day ? not everyone is the same but to me , less hassle the better.

I might be wrong , but would you be in the wrong shooting wildfowl with a bullet gun , I understood you could only use a shotgun , I know you use a shotgun but someone suggested shooting them with a bullet :hmm:

Have to be Barnes TTSX  as per the no lead rules of course but can find nothing which says you can't shoot wildfowl with a single shot/bullet.

5 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I think it might have been wise of you to have got the Sunday law on shooting wildfowl in your county sorted out before you started your cull just in case your enemies done there homework.

Apart of work or family commitments , couldn't you do your shooting on a week day ? not everyone is the same but to me , less hassle the better.

I might be wrong , but would you be in the wrong shooting wildfowl with a bullet gun , I understood you could only use a shotgun , I know you use a shotgun but someone suggested shooting them with a bullet :hmm:

my mate has the ticket for our local lake[am sure you will know it dave]by the auctions a580 for cormorants he gets grief quite often from twitchers who like to see these birds devour roach n skimmers,he resorted to useing hushpower 20g,once got beaten up by one of em,all cops wanted to know was "weres your paperwork"crack on mate id go earlier than that b4 twitchers arrive.

8 hours ago, wymberley said:

As you have your licence, just out of interest and apart from it authorising you to shoot them does it also over-ride any legislation regarding shooting on Sundays if you happen to be in one of those counties where shooting is not permitted on that at day?

I think it is only game that is restricted in some counties on Sunday. 

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I might be wrong , but would you be in the wrong shooting wildfowl with a bullet gun , I understood you could only use a shotgun , I know you use a shotgun but someone suggested shooting them with a bullet 

yeah my licence does state shotgun only, i. work full time dark wen I go to work dark wen comeing home so at the moment it's weekends only licence runs to 15th april so will get chance wen day light gets longer

24 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

my mate has the ticket for our local lake[am sure you will know it dave]by the auctions a580 for cormorants he gets grief quite often from twitchers who like to see these birds devour roach n skimmers,he resorted to useing hushpower 20g,once got beaten up by one of em,all cops wanted to know was "weres your paperwork"crack on mate id go earlier than that b4 twitchers arrive.

Certainly day break is favourite for Cormorants when they are still on their roost perches 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Have to be Barnes TTSX  as per the no lead rules of course but can find nothing which says you can't shoot wildfowl with a single shot/bullet.

THANKS for the update Walker , even at our age you learn something new every day .

Very merry Christmas to you and your family .

15 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

I think it is only game that is restricted in some counties on Sunday. 

We cant shoot wildfowl in Norfolk on a Sunday and you will find there are several counties that have the same Sunday restrictions . 

8 hours ago, marsh man said:

THANKS for the update Walker , even at our age you learn something new every day .

Very merry Christmas to you and your family .

We cant shoot wildfowl in Norfolk on a Sunday and you will find there are several counties that have the same Sunday restrictions . 

There is a whole listing on the basc website, and other shooting related sites. Somerset is another county that restricts shooting on Sundays. 

Below text taken from BASC

orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays were made under the Protection of Birds Act 1954. These orders have not been rescinded and so in the following counties/part counties the shooting of wildfowl is prohibited on Sundays: Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarfon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset and North and West Ridings of Yorkshire.

19 hours ago, wymberley said:

Are you sure that's a good idea? A ricochet off the water and through the lounge window 400 yards away might just really upset the applecart.

I’ve done it with .22lr many times. Go for the engine room not much energy left after  it has gone through. Never had a ricochet in that situation.

23 hours ago, davewh100 said:

just looking for bit of info one of the waters we shoot gooesander and cormorants on is some house's about 1/4 of a mile away one of the resident who is a animal lover which i understand got upset wen we shoot a gooesander told us to stop shooting them told her we do have a licence to cull both gooesander and cormorants which we have held for four years from natural england, normally on a Sunday we shoot at 10am is this to early ?

dave

First mistake.......he ain't an animal lover! He is just anti shooting! Nothing you do will please him! Just make sure your legal and drive on.............any problem with him ring the police!

16 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Does the no lead rule apply to bullets and rifles? 

1 hour ago, Fisheruk said:

I’ve done it with .22lr many times. Go for the engine room not much energy left after  it has gone through. Never had a ricochet in that situation.

And you never miss so do not need the safe back stop? 

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

What's wrong with the lounge wall? :innocent:

lol 

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

First mistake.......he ain't an animal lover! He is just anti shooting! Nothing you do will please him! Just make sure your legal and drive on.............any problem with him ring the police!

think your right he's just ain't shooting been told to carry on nothing he can do just need to be careful of shooting time on Sunday, will carry on useing my benelli super sport this auto was purchased for this job if I get any more confrotation will contact the local bobby

4 hours ago, oowee said:

Does the no lead rule apply to bullets and rifles? 

And you never miss so do not need the safe back stop? 

:oops: Heh, hang on.  I did hit the wing mirror..remember??

The no lead thing with a rifle, regarding shooting wildfowl is a difficult one to answer. I woild say it was technically against the law to use any projectile containing lead. Thoughts.

13 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

:oops: Heh, hang on.  I did hit the wing mirror..remember??

The no lead thing with a rifle, regarding shooting wildfowl is a difficult one to answer. I woild say it was technically against the law to use any projectile containing lead. Thoughts.

Perfectly legal to use lead rifle ammunition on wildfowl. Just need to make sure your licence condition confirms Avian or ALQ.