Shooting Geese with a HMR!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where i used to live in somerset we had huge problems with canada geese, hundreds, maybe into the low thousands of them in blagdon at the yeo valley factory, we tried everything, but couldn't get rid of them.

if you fired a shotgun into the middle of them you would only of got 3-4 and there were HUNDREDS

:good: they were not canada geese though ,and even they should be treated with respect :good:

The shooter has an Australian accent, so I would hazard a guess thats where the video was filmed.

Some of the birds were obviously not killed cleanly and the whole thing was a poor advert for shooting.

Unfortunately, youtube and website like it have given idiots everywhere a platform to the world.

Lets hope that videos like this, don't bring shooting into too much disrepute.

i would agree, its not my cup of tea shooting geese in the first place,but surely an instant switch off is nt much too ask for .if he was nt getting clean kills he should have moved closer till he got the accuracy needed or possibly a larger calibre for the job. bit distasteful in my opinion but then thats just me. :good:

Not only was he incompetent enough not to be able to check whether something was still alive when he picked it up. Has he never heard of tapping the eyeball to see if it contracts? Secondly he didn't know how to pull the neck of a goose. You should stand on the neck and pull the feet if that's all you have to hand at the time. :good:

FM :good:

Things like this on youtube give responsible shooters with respect for their quarry a bad name.

I hate to think people would see this and think this is how everyone behaves. :good:

Did you see him? horrible little ****wit!. he just could'nt wait to start shooting could he. :good::P:good:

where i used to live in somerset we had huge problems with canada geese, hundreds, maybe into the low thousands of them in blagdon at the yeo valley factory, we tried everything, but couldn't get rid of them.

if you fired a shotgun into the middle of them you would only of got 3-4 and there were HUNDREDS

I commented on this in another section (.22lr v .17 hmr) .. :look: ..........It could be that a farmer as asked for them to be removed by whatever means (It is Australia ?New Zealand after all ,Cultural difference).Camera footage always give's a false interpretation of distance and I would say he might have been shooting around 60 yds ..........His lack of experience and confidence shows by taking the easy body shots whereby the Wings act like a sheild and the breast /ploomage like a cushion leaving a lot of work for a tiny .17 to do when fragmented ..........The heavier 20 grn hollow point might have faired better .

I can relate to the above quote ............Where I use to frequent the local water reserves with my family to feed the wild life ,ducks ,swans etc is now overrun with Canadian Geese :good: .

As an act of pure pest control (Not Sporting)I would gladly If asked take them out with an HMR pill to the head :good:

Looks like I was not alone on this one then.

Someone commented that it was not exactly sporting.

What is sporting shooting with a HMR and a scope?

Rabbits at 100yards when they have no idea you are there can't be sporting either?

Deadeve ive said he would use a HMR on them for pest control. Who else would do this and if you were out shooting and had the oppertunity to take a goose out legally and you wanted it for your dinner?

Harry