recycle ?

islandgun

4 hours ago, Old farrier said:

I suppose we could use all the convicts and anyone doing community service to sort the rubbish 

even use the unemployed making them earn their benefits 

naa that wouldn’t work it’s just to simple 🙄

funny you should say that nigel.

when the local authority that i work for first started to recycle full time , the operation was set up with government funding, and most of the employees were from the ranks of the long term unemployed(iirc 10 years or more was the criteria). out of the original new starters , only a handful are still working , quite a few just never really bothered coming to work and just went back on the dole, and others got sacked / sent to prison etc , it seems to have been a failed social experiment. 

1 hour ago, figgy said:

IKEA candles can be cleaned out when burned out and used as drink glasses.

The food waste will be getting recycled more as plants are built to handle it through Anerobic Digestion.

That’s what we were told however it took 2000 acres out of food and fodder production to feed it totally changed farming practices in the area 

surprisingly it doesn’t seem to work well with the food waste 🤔

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

funny you should say that nigel.

when the local authority that i work for first started to recycle full time , the operation was set up with government funding, and most of the employees were from the ranks of the long term unemployed(iirc 10 years or more was the criteria). out of the original new starters , only a handful are still working , quite a few just never really bothered coming to work and just went back on the dole, and others got sacked / sent to prison etc , it seems to have been a failed social experiment. 

Only because they had the option 

sadly I'm not in charge 

although i applaud your council for at least trying it  

28 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

That’s what we were told however it took 2000 acres out of food and fodder production to feed it totally changed farming practices in the area 

surprisingly it doesn’t seem to work well with the food waste 🤔

Only because they had the option 

sadly I'm not in charge 

although i applaud your council for at least trying it  

They were always on to a loser,  and only really took them on due to government grants etc . In most cases , if someone has been on the dole for ten years , then they're just bone idle.

On a similar note, now that the government is cracking down a bit , we have the odd agency workers that have never had a job before.

6 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

They were always on to a loser,  and only really took them on due to government grants etc . In most cases , if someone has been on the dole for ten years , then they're just bone idle.

On a similar note, now that the government is cracking down a bit , we have the odd agency workers that have never had a job before.

I’d have a treadmill outside the dole office and they wouldn’t get anything until they had generated enough electric to work the lights computer and the staffs coffee machine 🤭

14 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I’d have a treadmill outside the dole office and they wouldn’t get anything until they had generated enough electric to work the lights computer and the staffs coffee machine 🤭

You should stand for public office Mate, you'd get my vote!

6 hours ago, Old farrier said:

I’ve got plenty of ideas although a touch radical for some 😉

If the truth was known, most people have had enough of the bone idle layabouts. I'm a very strong supporter of social help when it's genuinely  needed , as are most most people,  but I have little tolerance of the ones that think that  it's ok to feed off the sweat from another man's brow.

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

If the truth was known, most people have had enough of the bone idle layabouts. I'm a very strong supporter of social help when it's genuinely  needed , as are most most people,  but I have little tolerance of the ones that think that  it's ok to feed off the sweat from another man's brow.

Can you imagine if it were to become socially un-acceptable to live like that.

No more easy life for the hopeless, feckless, workshy, losers and and end to the perpetual pregnant 16  year old or younger family starters creating a need for benefits with large unneccessary extended families.

But of course that would go against their human rights which allow this crazy self perpetuating situation to continue!

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

We have plenty of those sadly, most here with a ruck of kids, a cigarette burning and drinking Costa coffee at 11 am.

Edited by old man

14 hours ago, Andy H said:

A lot of glass is recycled into glass wool that in used for insulation in your roofing and new builds, factory wall insulation etc , It cannot be recycled into glass containers that will be used for food and drinks as they do not know what was stored in  the original glass bottles/containers ie Toxic chemicals and compounds that could survive the remelting process.

Reading all the above posts about recycling, its clear that we should should be incinerating waste to create energy,.. or as Andy pointed out glass wool, and also make food available in multi use glass containers

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 09:20, mel b3 said:

I'm not sure if it's still happening now , but several years ago, the Germans were digging waste out of old landfill sites so they had something to burn in incinerator plants , their recycling efforts had been so successful that they didn't have enough burnable waste to keep the incinerator plants going.

We'll that's interesting, can't imagine us being that efficient.

My local council had us putting food waste in with the grass and green waste but it didn't last long till they stopped it, they never said why but rats is my guess?

14 hours ago, oowee said:

I even remember my scout group collecting it. 

my neighbour was a local scout master and we delivered the local free paper, so all our left overs went to him, this was thirty years ago, and he always gave them a good hosing before they were weighed in 😁 

4 minutes ago, Mice! said:

my neighbour was a local scout master and we delivered the local free paper, so all our left overs went to him, this was thirty years ago, and he always gave them a good hosing before they were weighed in 😁 

LOl :lol:

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 04:52, mel b3 said:

We have had some experience of trying to employ the long term unemployed and they mostly just go all out to get sacked so they can get back on the dole. Now, work for wages schemes are different, all benefits are stopped and can't be restarted so they have no choice but to work. OK they have to be heavily supervised but it would be a start.

On the subject of paper recycling. Old newspapers were recycled into egg boxes and tray dividers in fruit boxes but glossy magazines, brochures, catalogues etc won't recycle this way. So its the cost of sorting it again.